Upcoming back surgery

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I've got to have a couple of discs fused soon (not injury related). Guess I'll just be looking at the bike for a few months. Maybe I can just sit on it and race the engine a bit.
sad.gif

OUCH!!! My back surgery wasn't that involved and I was going nuts after the first 6 weeks...
sad.gif

I wish you luck and hope the surgery helps...
smile.gif
Hang out here...it'll be your lifeline to riding when you can't...
sad.gif
blush.gif

sad.gif

sounds nasty, I've been off for over 6 months now. Thats why I'm here ruining everyone's day.
biggrin.gif
When I broke a coulpe verts and blew some discs, I wouldn't let them touch me...but then again...I kinda like pain...
rock.gif

There is a downside to yer up comming surgery, but also an' upside...more time on The Org.
cool.gif

and also,don't sit there and rev yer motor,thats bad for it when its not under load,but,you prolly already knew that,and were just funnin' us.

all the best for a speedy re-coup. RSD.

I have had 3 disc's removed and 4 vertibra fused. I now have a collection of different metals, rods, wires and screws and so forth in my neck.
I give em heII at the airports though.
And of course I have been living off of Vicoden and Oxycontin for about 10 years. But life goes on.
Just do as they say during recovery. And all will be well...

David

sounds nasty, I've been off for over 6 months now. Thats why I'm here ruining everyone's day.
biggrin.gif
 When I broke a coulpe verts and blew some discs, I wouldn't let them touch me...but then again...I kinda like pain...
rock.gif

There is a downside to yer up comming surgery, but also an' upside...more time on The Org.
cool.gif

and also,don't sit there and rev yer motor,thats bad for it when its not under load,but,you prolly already knew that,and were just funnin' us.

all the best for a speedy re-coup.    RSD.
Yep. I'll just go roooom! roooom!

I've got to have a couple of discs fused soon (not injury related). Guess I'll just be looking at the bike for a few months. Maybe I can just sit on it and race the engine a bit.
sad.gif
Is it lower (Lumbar) or upper ( Cervicle)...

David
Lower. L3/L4. I would wait, but it's starting to damage nerves.
good luck..
if this is your first back surgery.. the most important thing is to take care afterwards..

my cousing is going in for second surgery because he was not careful enough after the first one.. take it very easy after the operaiton.

smile.gif

sad.gif
Is it lower (Lumbar) or upper ( Cervicle)...

David
Lower. L3/L4. I would wait, but it's starting to damage nerves.
Lower back repair is a little easier to recover from...
Just do as your told and take your time...
You will be glad you had the surgery...
No more pain and life is a little closer to normal...

David

man o man o man.............. ouch,ouch,.........the pain.. i feel your pain...
sad.gif

hope you have a speedy recovery and your back on the saddle soon!!!!! ?? i know that just dident sound rite................
blush.gif

<!--EDIT|BUSA-MAN 24-7
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139257249 -->

Hey thanks guys. Hearing people say that they had the surgery and that they're doing OK, makes me feel a bit better about it.

Wow! I'm also in that boat. Keep your spirits up, and you'll recover much faster. I had L4-L5 trimmed last May. I was off the Busa for 2 months, then my nuerologist gave me the go ahead to get back on the road. I had my second follow-up MRI this morning. I won't know the results until later this week. If it's better, life goes on. If it's the same, possible shots. Worse and it'll be back to surgery.

Having them fused will have fewer recovery complications, but it will take a bit longer for everything to heal because it's more invasive than removing part of a disc. Enjoy the morphine for a few days after surgery, but get off of it ASAP! Get out of bed and walk around as soon as the doctor tells you it's okay to do so. After getting up a couple of times it will get easier. You should be close to 90% within 2 months.

My prayers are with you!

Doug

I hope you have obtained a second opinion before deciding on surgery.

There are also some really good minimally invasive techniques now that only require several small incisions (about 2"). The advantage is not having to take all the paraspinous muscles and ligaments down as in a conventional open procedure. Your recovery time will be much less, probably only a 2 day hospital stay vs 5 to 6 days with an open procedure. The minimally invasive techniques also have the added benefit of not aggravating the exiting spinal nerves as much which can result in postoperative mucsle spasms along with other neurologic symptoms such as shooting pains, burning, tingling, numbness, weakness, etc... running down into your lower extremeties. Less scar tissue usually will form with the less invasive approaches which means less chance of a revision 1 or 2 years down the line.

By the way, the vertebral screws and rods and crosslinks are made of a titanium alloy and will not affect metal detectors at airports! In fact, after about 1 year and 3 months on average, your bony biologic fusion is stronger than the instrumented fusion with the titanium alloy instrumentation and therefore the instrumentation is inert and can be removed if pain symptoms develop as a result of the metal being present!

Anyway, PM me if you have any questions or need more info. What diagnostic workup did you have prior to a decision for surgery, CT, MRI, plain X-rays, electromiography EMG, nerve conduction velocity studies NCV, discogram/CT. And what about physical therapy and pain management or intradiscal decompression therapy???

Sorry so wordy, but lumbar spine surgery is very serious and there are no guarantees on the outcome. If your surgeon gave you a guarantee, run fast as you can out of his office and DO NOT Return!

I hope you heal well. You'll be in my thoughts. Take care of yourself so you can ride again.

J

Dude, that sucks. I am going in to have 3 vertabrae fused on Feb. 28...........Yeah, 21 days.

Back