Babuski wins a Nobel Prize for Squid behavior

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
I'm crusing on Rt 72 on my way to the cornfields of Illinois where its much safer to play with seabiscuit. In front of me is an 18 wheeler and a white chevy. 18 wheeler is going 48 mph in a 55 posted. This is rural Illinois and NO ONE goes 48. Most cruise at 65 minimum. The white chevy is in front of me and we are getting impatient waiting to pass this slow ass truck. finally, things look clear. Chevy starts to pass the 18 wheeler. Then, in a burst of stupidity....I follow the chevy who is passing at glacial speed. I never pass under these circumstances as you are asking to die. But after 35 years of biking, I rarely make hasty decisions and this one nearly cost me. As soon as the chevy passes and re enters the lane (in front of 18 wheeler) I see a car turning right at a T-intersection about a quarter mile down the road into my lane (or his lane really). By this time I'm at the 18 wheelers cab....I jam the breaks and feel the back wheel skidding. Fortunately the car turning right sees I'm in trouble and stops midway into his turn....I flick my wrist and aim for the 48 inches between his front bumper and the front of the cab of the 18 wheeler. the rear wheel frees up and I gun the throttle right after a downshift and glide thru an opening at about 60 mph (when I saw the car I was going 90)

after passing the truck....I let out a scream.....and realize I had just made the worst decision ever on a motocycle and lived to see another day. I was 24 inches away from either becoming road kill under the semi or 24 inches the other way hitting the car head on at 60. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and then my eyes welled up because I came way to close to dying all because I was impatient and broke one of my cardinal rules of biking....

so boyz and girls....be patient and don't follow a chevy cavelier when passing.

You lucky #######! At least your angel was with you!

so boyz and girls....be patient and don't follow a chevy cavelier when passing.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good idea! Next time pass the Cavalier and Semi in one shot.

wow.gif
I'd imagine a change of underwear was in order after that ordeal...

I'm constantly looking around slower vehicles to pass, but the scenario you've just survived has played in my mind and it keeps me in place until I'm SURE I can pass safely...you just never know what the other guys are doing, and when some of them don't even know that there are signals on their cars, you're screwed...

Just glad you're here telling us about it today...what a wake up call!
blush.gif

wow.gif
I'd imagine a change of underwear was in order after that ordeal...
That and a seat change after both the spill and damage from a grade III pucker! Glad we're talking about it with you and not someone telling the story. Everything happens for a reason and don't beat yourself up, we've all done things that caused glut spasms and questions as to what we were thinking. Reminds you that you're still human and not in glory yet. Be safe.

BD

trying not to beat myself up...its just that I've been riding for for 35 years. I've had four near misses in 35 years. Three were the cagers fault and I had to react quickly. This one, the forth near miss, was TOTALLY my fault. I can't believe that after 35 years I would follow a chevy cavalier into a passing situation. Normally, if the chevy wasn't in front, I'd have snapped that throttle so fast I'd be in front of the truck long before that car's nose stuck out to make a right turn. It all happened so quick, I just reacted and aimed for the hole....

This past Saturday on the Fl Busa ride i went to pass a truck and just as i got over he started to make a left turn. Scared me, luckily i had enough time to slow down and get back behind him.

Very close call but you had someone watching out for you! Glad that you are still here to learn!

At least you made the right choice, and DID NOT focus on the hazard area.
cool.gif

That is what saved you...you went where you were looking. A bit of luck helped out too though.

Glad you're still here.
wink.gif

Your one luck bastid!!

...glad that things dint go wrong!! Keep it safe bro
biggrin.gif

A true squid would have passed the Chevy WHILE it was passing the 18 wheeler, WHILE doing a wheelie.
biggrin.gif

Glad to hear you didn't get squished.

sad.gif
been there, done that... NOT a happy time.

Glad ya pulled it out.

We all need to keep our heads out and minds clear on bikes...

Sheot ! Reading your post gave me shivers !! Thanks for being there in 1st person telling instead of the "other" way....

I haven't had a close call yet on my 'Busa, too old to take that chance...guess age does help in some ways huh ?

I appreciate you admitting to the mistake so that we can all learn from it.
Babs -
I gotta agree with DAB on this one. Thanks for sharing, sometimes we all need a reminder that it doesn't always happen to the other guy. Sometimes it happens to us.

Glad you made it through.

yikes....

Your guardian angel was right there with ya, bro...

Glad it turned out well.

Back