athletes "standing on their head"

I wish him a speedy recovery, but this is the guy that believes he is so good a rider that "traction control should be banned".
I think it should be banned as well... racing should be about riding skills, not programing ability in a computer...
Yeah, old discussion about driving/riding aids. I personally have no problem with the driver/rider/pilot being 10% of the equation in top racing series. Or zero, for that matter. It's about wining, and engineer brains wins hands down (or will win eventually) over pilot guts and instinct.

Of course, stock categories in which the pilot makes the difference are nice also. Only slower.
laugh.gif
well if thats the case, just make it all RC... take the drivers out all the way... no point in throwing some silly variable like "Skill" into the silly sport... or for that matter we could just go one more step..

Take all the people that want to compete
Line them around the track

and have them all throw money on the ground..

the guy that throws the most wins..... we will have to figure out what to do with the money however...

I wish him a speedy recovery, but this is the guy that believes he is so good a rider that "traction control should be banned".
I think it should be banned as well... racing should be about riding skills, not programing ability in a computer...
Yeah, old discussion about driving/riding aids. I personally have no problem with the driver/rider/pilot being 10% of the equation in top racing series. Or zero, for that matter. It's about wining, and engineer brains wins hands down (or will win eventually) over pilot guts and instinct.

Of course, stock categories in which the pilot makes the difference are nice also. Only slower.
laugh.gif
well if thats the case, just make it all RC... take the drivers out all the way... no point in throwing some silly variable like "Skill" into the silly sport... or for that matter we could just go one more step..

Take all the people that want to compete
Line them around the track

and have them all throw money on the ground..

the guy that throws the most wins..... we will have to figure out what to do with the money however...
laugh.gif

Not RC, but IA: as you said, we should take skill out (since computers are/will be much more skilled than humans). Take for example any FBW aircraft: it can't be flown without computers, as they are unstable.

Of course, the purpose of the money thrown to the ground is to pay for R&D.

But I see your point; from Auto Racing Digest (talking about F1, but applicable to other series):

"F1 is fueled by technology, but the FIA--as well as many fans, drivers, and teams--believe that the series' focus on mechanics has gotten out of hand, and that the balance between driver and machine has tipped too far in the car's favor. The annual budgets of F1's top two-car teams--some with staffs of 600--run upwards of $300 million. With all of that money at their disposal, it's become a dream environment for the engineers and computer whizzes, but what about the fans? And how can the smaller teams compete?

"Much of the money spent in Formula One ... adds nothing to the public's enjoyment," the FIA said in a statement. "Yet it is the public who ultimately pay the bills. Without a worldwide audience, neither team sponsors nor car manufacturers would contribute to the costs of the Championship."
advertisement

The FIA statement went on to claim that: "Vast sums are being spent on things that don't interest the public. Whether an engine runs to 12,000, 16,000, or 20,000 rpm means nothing to the television audience. And they neither know nor care who, makes the car's electronic control unit or its rear wishbone."

May be I am not a typical fan. But I digress...

laugh.gif

The camel jockeys are more RC than robot. They are not autonomous machines. They still need human input to operate. Interesting though.

I think it ended up he had a broken small bone in his ankle and a lot of bruising on his leg and backside. Nothing big I guess, he qualified in 4th on the grid.

I guess I'm still old school. I'd like to see them pull the 500 2stroke GP bikes back out. I love all the new technology on the 4 strokes, but the 500 Gp's were just brutal.
beerchug.gif

Back