Watching bike races on tv

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
So, I can't ride for another 4 months and I'm watching bike racing on TV.

I never paid much attention before and they don't have a Motorcycle Racing for Dummies segment. Would someone be kind enough to tell me the differences between AMA, MotoGP, and Super Sport races?

So, I can't ride for another 4 months and I'm watching bike racing on TV.

I never paid much attention before and they don't have a Motorcycle Racing for Dummies segment.  Would someone be kind enough to tell me the differences between AMA, MotoGP, and Super Sport races?
AMA is a United States Series. They have several classes:

Superbike: The Big Boys. Highly modified Open Classers (1000cc) and generally put 200+rhwp. Big Names to look for are Mat Mladin, Ben Spies, Aaron Yates (Yoshimura/Suzuki), Miguel Duhamel, Jake Zemke (both with Honda Factory), Roger Hayden, Tommy Hayden (Kawi Factory), and Ben Bostrom, Neil Hodgson (Parts Unlimited Ducati), Jake holden, Steve Rapp, Jason Pridmore (Michael Jordan Motorsports/Suzuki).

AMA Supersport: 600cc class. Not much mods but very quick lap times. Usually 1 1/2 seconds off Superbike pace. Look for Jason Disalvo and Jamie Hacking (team yamaha), Ben Spies (Yoshi/Suzuki).

AMA Superstock: Stock Literbikes with only mods being exhaust, PC, NO ENGINE WORK. Aaron Yates, Jason Dislavo, and Jamie hacking are some of the big names to check out.

AMA Formula Extreme: 600cc class with heavy mods. This class took over the new Daytona 200 race and has a very anemic field this year. Disalvo is the big name in it.

MOTOGP: Here is where the big DOGS race!! names like Nicky Hayden, Marco Melandri, 7 time champ Valentino Rossi, Loris Caparossi run. These are factory machines with the most high tech stuff that's about as top secret as an F-22. These bikes have 990cc (will be reduced to 800cc for '07). Put out around 230-250 rwhp. Very powerful machines. These guys run EVERY LAP LIKE QUALIFYING. Very intense.

World Superbike: Names like Troy Corser, Troy Bayliss, James Toseland are just a few you need to know. Very much like AMA Superbike except they run Pirelli tires instead of Dunlop. It's known these guys are a few clicks slower than AMA Superbike.

Importance and skill level of each series:

1. MOTOGP; Like Pro Football
2. AMA Superbike: The minor leagues
3. WSB: College sports

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the explanation gtrpimp76!

What gtrpimp76 said!!

MotoGP is the best riders on the best bikes.  The bikes are prototypes and cost over a 1 mil each.

Worldsuperbike riders are good, but not good enough to be in MotoGP.

AMA is the training series for young riders in the states.  In Europe, the young riders are in MotoGP's 250cc and 125cc classes.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147207495 -->

my questions were answered.
great info guys.
thumbs-up.gif

I don't know about World Superbike riders not being good enough for MotoGP. And I think Bayless and Haga on the right bike could smoke just about anyone in AMA and be in the top 5 in MotoGP at this time ! Sorry  
sad.gif
Spies, but your time will come, just not now
tounge.gif

A friend and I were talking at the Barber races. His son had told him that Suzuki rented the Phillips Island track in Australia during our winter for testing. They had Mat Mladin and Troy Corser there for tests. Of course, Yoshimura does Mladin's Suzuki with somebody else handling Corser's. He said that Mladin was turning 2 second faster lap times consistently. Corser accused him of running qualifying tires to aggravate him. I just found it hard to believe that Yoshimura has found that much of a difference in the same bike. Obviously they have though looking at AMA Superbike.

Dan

They had Mat Mladin and Troy Corser there for tests.  Of course, Yoshimura does Mladin's Suzuki with somebody else handling Corser's.  He said that Mladin was turning 2 second faster lap times consistently.  Corser accused him of running qualifying tires to aggravate him.
It's true. Mladin retorted back and said he wasn't using Qualifying compound and Corser should get over it. Also, Neil Hodgson was a former WSB Champion and he can't even keep up with the 3 Yoshi/Suzukis.

No prob fellas. It's really exciting stuff esp when you follow closely. The best thing is to SEE IT IN PERSON. It'll make you quit riding, j/k. Or Inspire you.

Charlesbusa will agree too but MotoGP IS THE ONE TO WATCH. Freakin' top level and insane. Also a good crash course in trailbraking and powerslide techniques (a reason why some Americans might have problems in Europe).

The thing that I find interesting is that the WSB bikes are using traction control (admitting it anyway) and are allowed more engine tweaking than AMA bikes. And Mladin still spanked em. None of the WSB guys has gone on to any real success (so far) in MotoGP. Edwards and Bayliss were the obvious head of that list. But the AMA has sent quite a few boys to the top of that heap. Roberts, Spencer, Lawson, Rainey, Schwantz, Hayden etc.

No prob fellas. It's really exciting stuff esp when you follow closely. The best thing is to SEE IT IN PERSON. It'll make you quit riding, j/k. Or Inspire you.

Charlesbusa will agree too but MotoGP IS THE ONE TO WATCH. Freakin' top level and insane. Also a good crash course in trailbraking and powerslide techniques (a reason why some Americans might have problems in Europe).
I agree  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

MotoGP is the best of the best!!  
foshizzle.gif

I think a lot of Americans that have the talent to get in to MotoGP struggle at first, because they don't know any of the tracks.  Look what happened last year when Hayden and Edwards knew the track(Laguna) while almost all the other riders had never been there...

European riders got to play on most MotoGP preimere tracks when they ran 250cc and 125cc.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147238237 -->

biggrin.gif

Thanks very much GTR! Very good run down. Now I'll have a clue about what and who I'm watching.

now....where to find it and at times i am actually home...(no vcr and no tvo or dvr)

Great info! Don't for get The Isle Of Man - coming up May 27th - June 9th. For some sick reason, that is the best race to me... flying through towns and country at 160+ lots of visually high speeds there

2006 Dates – Saturday 27th May to Friday 9th June

DTS_IOMTT_Kirk_Michael_2.jpg

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147264655 -->

motogp and isle of man ownz me so bad just thinking about those two races gives me shivers and chills.

I gotz me teh feeva!!
tounge.gif

When the money money money is on the line those insane bastages will be going ballz to the wall!!!

Must watch!

I think some of them cats have metal music playing in their head when they is racing
super.gif

<!--EDIT|jigisup
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147288670 -->

Great info!  Don't for get The Isle Of Man - coming up May 27th - June 9th.  For some sick reason, that is the best race to me...   flying through towns and country at 160+  lots of visually high speeds there

2006 Dates – Saturday 27th May to Friday 9th June

DTS_IOMTT_Kirk_Michael_2.jpg
I remember watching the TT a few years ago and David Jeffries (now deceased) was just smoking! Anyways there is one frame where he is going through this village and here is an old lady sweeping the sidewalk as he is zinging past her at about 180! She never budged and inch! I was just shaking my head in disbelief. And Melandri thinks Laguna Seca is treacherous!!!

saw a vid of TT. Holy Suicidal Batman!! dudes are doing 130-140 and doing jumps!! And on a sportbike at that. Crazy Sh1t.

like Rossi said "brake later than anyone,get on the gas sooner than anyone,and you also must have really big cajones"---

Back