Race Bike vs Street Bike

My turbo Busa transformed into a street legal race bike over 2 years. I kinda miss it sometime.

So I have 3 things that I feel put a bike into a pure race bike territory, for me.

1) Slider clutch. Watch pro street and grudge bikes. Unless they have the slider ride back, the bikes are pushed to and from the trailer to the track. MTC clutch differences: Clutch Differences – MTC Engineering
Ride back device: Hayabusa 239 Hydraulic Slider Ride Back

2) No charging system. I had a road race bike with the alternator removed and always had anxiety that the battery would die on me. Grudge bikes have this: DME External Starter Box - DME Racing

3) No water or radiator. It’s super common in pure race vehicles.

Drag and Drive car events are my favorite. Steve Morris is the top dog engine builder for these and created a billet engine with water jackets. 4,500 hp. Not a motorcycle but amazing what he’s created.

What makes a race bike for you guys?
Race bikes are commonly designed for expertise or professional bikers while street bikes are manufactured for common people for smooth and comfy rides. Race bikes contain extra sharp features and multiple options for the reader's convenience along with that they carry uncomfortable seats which is quite opposite in the case of street bikes. Street bikes are a bit more comfy and easy to ride over.

Race bikes are commonly designed for expertise or professional bikers while street bikes are manufactured for common people for smooth and comfy rides. Race bikes contain extra sharp features and multiple options for the reader's convenience along with that they carry uncomfortable seats which is quite opposite in the case of street bikes. Street bikes are a bit more comfy and easy to ride over.
Many superbike classes use just slightly modified street bikes, they are only allowed to do changes which don't include any engine internals.

When I raced superbike, my GSXR came from a dealership.....there was no difference between it and a new one sitting on the showroom floor.

The difference between what is ridden on the track in superbike and what is ridden on the street is blurred.

MotoGP, those are their own purpose built machines.
Superbike, as said are the same bikes that we can buy, and modified within the rule book.
Go back to 2005 or 06, and Ben Spies crashed his gsxr1k in practice, and had to go to a back-up bike...which still had the mudflap on it...and he finished on the podium.

Many superbike classes use just slightly modified street bikes, they are only allowed to do changes which don't include any engine internals.

When I raced superbike, my GSXR came from a dealership.....there was no difference between it and a new one sitting on the showroom floor.

The difference between what is ridden on the track in superbike and what is ridden on the street is blurred.
Every rider has own experience and feedback while sports and street motorcycle both are different but to some extant have bit resemblance too. Probably your experience remained same you couldn't even find the difference between these two motorcycle.

Every rider has own experience and feedback while sports and street motorcycle both are different but to some extant have bit resemblance too. Probably your experience remained same you couldn't even find the difference between these two motorcycle.
There are different levels of race bikes of course.

The level of SBK that I raced was such that the basic bike had to remain the same as a stock bike-no changes to engine internals, swing arm length, frame or geometry.....

I had no doubt there were street bikes set up as good as my semi-factory sponsored race bike.

Last edited:
Back