Are you dependant on a cell phone?

Are you dependant on a cell phone? - No or Yes

• No

Votes: 76 100.0%

• Total voters
I use mine for a clock... I don't like wearing a watch, to many poeple asking what time it was. plus I have family outside of town, so long distance calls anytime are free (same carrier)
cool.gif
Clock LOL me too.
My battery usually dies from boredom. Every few weeks it comes in handy
smile.gif

Yes I use it too much. I never use it while on the Busa, and only in the car with a blue tooth. Nothing I had more is seeing someone on the cell phone in the car and not paying attention to there driving. Cell phone in cars are very bad bussiness for bikes.

I hate many things about cell phones. I am certainly not dependant on it. The only reason I have one is because when I last moved, I was without a phone for 2 months because the phone company kepted having problems hooking up my apartment. For two whole months I was phoneless, but I still got by without too much difficulty.

But I was so frustrated at that time, that I went out an bought a cell phone, up and ready in 5 mins. My landline never did get connected.

here's my example of pointless over use:

My daughter calls her girlfriend, says "are you at home... yea.. I'm gonna come over ok?"
She then asks me if I can give her a ride and I reply... "sure give me ten minutes".
She now calls her girlfriend again or texts her "ok, I'm gonna leave in about ten minutes"
Ten mintues pass, we hope in the car, which takes my daughter a little longer because she's trying to walk and call her girlfriend at the same time. She send her a text message "we're on our way now". Before we've even pulled out of the drive way she gets frustrated that her girlfriend hasn't replied yet. She calls her with her cphone "why didn't you reply... oh, ok... we're on our way.. are you still at home... ok"
Her girlfriend lives about two miles away and it takes less than 10 minutes to get there. During that time she text a few more time back n forth with someone else.
As we approach her girfriends street she quickly calls her again "hey, we're turning on your street right now... ok.. meat me at your door"
I stop in front of her girlfriends house which is only three blocks away.
Frustrated that her girlfriend isn't standing at the door she calls her again "I'm here but where are you...ok, well come to the door".
Once her girlfriend finaly is standing at the door of her house my daughter hops out and gose into her girlfriends house.

Now back in the old days, I would call a friend and converse as needed. We would make our plans which would be more like. "Ok, I'll meet you at your place at blah blah time".
Once it was blah blah time I would just knock on his door or he would already be outside knowing that since I said blah blah time, that meant I would be there at that time. Unless I was dead I would be there. That's how easy it used to be. i still do things with the same approach. If I say I'll be somewhere at some time, that meant I would be there at that time. In the event I wasn't that meant something bad has happened and I wasn't going to make it. I don't have a need to be in constant virtual contact with everyone during every moment. Hell there's some people I only chat with once every few months. We catch up on things and that's it. It allows me to sift through the daily nonesense and simply highlight important moments. I don't think anyone needs to hear about the person who just cut me off while driving, or how I just finished a sandwich and it tasted good. I guess I just focus on more meaningful conversations to share with others.

Yes, I chat on the boards but even with those I don't normaly just type about garbage just to interect with others.
2cents.gif

I'm an email addict and oRg junkie...I also love
google.gif

At the end of the day, I go home and opt to NOT be on the laptop unless I have to...dial-up has ruined the Internet for me
laugh.gif

And the cell phones, blackberries and shoe phones galore? I'm one of those people who's cell phone rarely rings (unless it's drunk Ben in Robbinsville, but I changed that number LOL) and if/when it does, I oftentimes don't realize it's mine ringing...I never owned a pager and always hated the idea of not being able to fully disconnect from the world, even if it's during a drive in my car. Hate to say it, but I actually feel sorry for those THAT connected to the globe. Disconnect and enjoy some down time from your habit
lol1.gif

I could live without my cell phone; it's good for peace of mind should I need help in an emergency, but that's about it for me...
ThumbsUp.gif

I depend on a phone, but it's not the center of my existence. I'm required to carry a crackberry for work. I carry a personal phone for friends and family. I have no landline or broadband. All of my access is through my cell phone and laptop, using the phone as my modem. I still get 1.6 to 1.8 Mb/s that way. Good enough for web surfing and email.

I often will ride to an area that has no coverage. I don't even look at my phone unless I get a VM notification when I'm done riding. I got my parents cell phones so they had a contact method when they travel, and they don't need to pay long distance.

I have the minimum plan that gives me unlimited cell to cell and long distance. I have over 3000 roll over minutes available to me right now.

Commuta_Busa:   PERFECT example.  Just perfect!  That's exactly what I mean.   So, staying connected with people means DEPENDING on the cell to enable brain disfunction and slackness of responsibility?  This is NOT a healthy thing, people.  For kids OR adults.

Ever get THIS call:   RING RING   "Hello?"    "where you at?"
First thing I'm thinking is A) Thanks for NOT acknoledging my humanity with a "Hi Greg" or any sort of NORMAL conversational intro acknoledgement, and B)  what does it matter WHERE I am?  I have a Cell, you have reached me, what do you want? ? ?

* don't get me started on "Hi it's ME" and not saying "good bye" to end tele conversations... that's a WHOLE other phone rant  
smile.gif

Ever get THIS call:   RING RING   "Hello?"    "where you at?"
First thing I'm thinking is A) Thanks for NOT acknoledging my humanity with a "Hi Greg" or any sort of NORMAL conversational intro acknoledgement, and B)  what does it matter WHERE I am?  I have a Cell, you have reached me, what do you want? ? ?
I guess I'm still a bit old school with my manners. I usually answer with "This is Doug". When I call others I always say "Hi. Is this a good time? How are you today?". I get annoyed when a riding buddy always asks me if I'm at home. I usually ask him "Does it matter?"

heheh yeah me too with manners. When I call cells, I say "This is Greg, are you busy?" I've had so many people almost get mad at me for calling them... I'm thinking, if you are so busy why answer it? let it go to Voice Mail. I don't expect people to answer their phones 24/7 and be instantly accessable when I call them. They are physical human beings, not data accessable network nodes.

Hence my favorite term "Sheeple". They do what the masses do!

That's one of the reasons I ride a Busa. It's different than most bikes out there. I can tour, sport, meander, and track it. It does it all with a smile and keeps asking for more.

beerchug.gif

I like to answer "Help Desk" when people call me cuz they usually want something or need to ask something.
beerchug.gif

I don't own a personal cellphone so I'm not dependent in that respect. I do have a company cell which is used to call me at the most inconvenient times to come fix something at work that a chimp could do.
banghead.gif

My friends and I set a time and stick to it. Or, sometimes, it's a, "Hey, let's go ride!" "Okay, I'll meet you at . . . " "Okay, see you there," and it happens that way.

That's the nice thing about the cell phone. I was on my way home one day, ready to go for a ride and called a friend to see if he wanted to join up with us. He was at the local clothing store and said, "Sure!" Dropped everything and met me at my house.

Without the cell phone, we would have had to leave him at home or wherever and we all would have been disappointed about it. Indeed, I remember many such disappointments before cell phones.

Hmmmm.

I'll admit to having made a few, "We're on our way," 'cause we were running late. Better that, though, than make a friend wonder where we are. On the flip side, if I'm waiting for someone and they don't call me? That is cause to be ticked off. Just give me the courtesy of a call and I'll be cool with some tardiness. There again, there is flexibility 'cause then I can go do something else until they show up and in the same breath, we can rearrange as needed.

I have a cell phone for my convenience. It happens to be convenient for my friends, too.

If you don't have a cell phone, it's quite likely it will be a high-maintenance friendship for both of us.

Maybe not.

--Wag--

Back