Are you dependant on a cell phone?

Are you dependant on a cell phone? - No or Yes

• No

Votes: 76 100.0%

• Total voters
I would love to not have it sometimes. It would be soo peaceful to leave the house and noone in the world can call and bug you.

Got rid of my land line. But overall I hate phones all together. Some ya ho always calls when you don't want to talk. Or a telemarketer. I do like to have it while im on the bike though for emergency's. The real reason I got rid of my land line though is because its much cheaper to call back and forth to GA on a cell phone, since thats where all my family is at.

Hey Omar can you hook a brother up on the new phones. It's that or I'm dropping another 800.00 on the HTC Diamond next Mo.

Its my business phone, so I guess I need it since I'm a turck drive. Din fine without it, and since I've had one it seems like I need it most of the time.

NOPE. I have one.. and I rarely answer it when it rings. (it's usually not even on me)

I usually just check my voicemail (if they leave one).

I prefer texts.. but I can ignore those too. I can't really HEAR on any phone (thanks to 18 years of stock car racing.. thanks dad) so it is really FUTILE to have a telephone conversation with me.

I am more dependent on e-mail than phones.

Without my mobile phone I would be lost. My Blackjack is my PDA, internet connection, and line to the world while I'm out.

If I forget my cell in the AM, I'm lost for the whole day. Sometimes I'll go back to get it no matter what the consequences.

yep. they are a business tool. yep - people cancelling their landlines is very common too.... but I'm sick of friends that seem to no longer be able to do what they say they will do. "Where ya gonna be? ? I'll call your cell... we'll figure it out..." NO.... we MAKE A DECISION, >NOW<, plan it out, and follow through. Their brains are becoming mush! I can see it very easily now because I am no longer in that group.

Flat tires? How did they ever manage in the 70's and 80's without cell phones? I had more flats when I DIDN'T have a cell... I changed the tire and continued on.. because I planned ahead: I had a spare, that had air in it and a jack. no cell to call a tow truck and waste more time and money... no.. I changed the tire and off I go.

Just wondered if anyone else notices people getting sloppier at life because of all our "conveniences"?

I voted no. I have one. I use one.

but....my life wouldn't end because of a lack of a cell phone. I guess, it's just convenient if I need it. I have so many roll-over minutes it's disgusting. And I'm on the least expensive At&t plan and don't even expend all of the basic mintues.

I carry 2 on me at all times.. One is my personal phone used by family friends and what have you, and the other is my business line. I have a land line at home form the business and my house, but the business one if fowarded to my cell, and the home line is hooked to a fax.

(stands up)
rock.gif
  <ahem>  I'm a cellphone addict ... till the Satillites start falling out of space..
laugh.gif
..then back to (morse code) for me. ( .-.. . - ... / .- .-.. .-.. / -- --- .-. ... . )
whistling.gif

No land line for us. The wife and I have had cell phones only for about 6 years. If somebody wants to talk to my wife, they call her phone and let me sleep.

I don't do the cell phone thing at all anymore. If someone wants/needs to contact me they can reach me in my office and if it's personal they can also reach me at home. Any other time I don't want or need to talk to people on the phone. If I don't answer and they don't leave me a message then I don't call them back.

It's unbelievable how people have to constantly talk to someone on their cphone all the time. The next generation is going to be so much worse. Every single kid working I see them constantly "texting" while they're working as a cashier or whatever job. They're so consumed by the cphone that they have no attention span for anything else.

If you're constantly starring at your cphone or talking on it you'll miss everything that's going on around you. People have become very self consumed and isolated in their little world.

I'll stop now.

You guys crack me up that are moaning about phones, you gave up one communication tool and went to another.... Your complaining about the people that constantly have to text or talk on the phone but yet your are typing on your computer looking for interaction. I think what it boils down to is that people like to be connected. On this website you get to ask any question you want and someone will answer no matter what, the same holds true for kids and cell phones, it's interaction, maybe not as personable but still yet they are communicating, when we were kids we passed notes, they text......

I have a blackberry and have had some sort of phone for the past 20 years. Do I need my blackberry with me at all times absolutely undeniably yes.... When I can get an email from an employee advising me of a situation that I can make a decision on immediately that will save 250,000 dollars then it becomes a necessary tool. When I signed up for the job I have being available was part of the agreement, I "own" the business solutions so I have every reason to keep up on what is happenning in our company at any time... My phone is a tool in my job just like a firehose to a fireman or a flashlight to a cop.

WWJD to answer your question about sloppiness or lack of response from friends, in my opinion its disrespet and disorganized friends that you have. I can make better decisions with my phone because I have my calendar and appointments right with me. I can use all of the data that I have to make the best choices to meet with my friends. It sounds like they choose to be sloppy and not commit because they can, I would expect the same thing from them without a cell phone.

My life would go on without the crackberry, but it would go back to what it was previously. A long drawn-out affair to get an answer to a 10 second question, which could cause literally days of delays.

I voted yes. Am I an addict, or just someone dependant on technology to better my own life??

I would love to just throw this away and go back 40 years, but you could sat the same thing about transportation, medicine, computers,.... People did it then, and could now, but are we actually better off without the technology??

Todd

Yea like others I am on call 24/7 so its on my hip everywhere I go but thats part of the reason I ride! I turn the phone off when I am riding!

What did people do before cell phones? Well, they survived. But here's a woman's perspective (well, this woman, I don't speak for all women).

I feel that I've very self-sufficient. I can put gas in my own car, change a tire and read a map. I have a very good sense of direction and excellent memory so I seldom EVER get lost. I also hold a black belt in tae kwon do; although quite out of practice, I still remember my self-defense and move through the motions regularly.

All that said...
-when the mechanics put lug nuts on with a hydrolic tool, I can't get them off so when that's the case, changing a tire is difficult at best.
-there are car problems other than flat tires that I can't fix. I'd hate to have to depend on the kindness of strangers to get me to a safe place.
-yes, I feel that I can defend myself better than most women, but I'm not Chuck Norris. Even Chuck Norris isn't Chuck Norris. If I ever find myself stranded in an unsavory location, I would like to be able to contact someone quickly.
-this is an unusual case, but I have a special needs child and sometimes he needs to get in touch with me right away. I'm usually near a phone but if I'm in the car or shopping, this is his only means of reaching me.

I agree with Cap - you have inconsiderate friends. I hope that my friends and family would vouch for me that I'm not guilty of those types of rudeness. Cell phones are a tool and it's the user who abuses it or uses it wisely.

I'll be honest.. my "friends" that are like that? I don't really associate with them - or try not to as much as possible. They are more like "associates" I must cross paths with on occasion. As soon as this next deal is done, I'll have no more reason to bother with them. Their lack of ability to plan and follow through is too annoying. But I've noticed the dependency in more than just my associates...

nuttin wrong with keeping up, but it may be all the LITTLE things we subject ourselves too in life that add up to the personal stress most of us suffer from in today's breakneck speed world. food for thought

Just got a cell phone last January. I hate them. I carry it with me, but leave it in my coat pocket or backpack. I never carry it on me at work. I never set up the voicemail. nor will I ever.Very few people even have the number. I tell everyone it's an outgoing phone only, and if you need me call me during the day,call me at work or the home line. I like to use more as a text toy when I am away from my girl, or I need to ask my friends and family little things and I don't want to have to call them and talk, talk, talk, talk. I talk on the phone all day at work and quite frankly hate the sound of a phone ringing when I leave the office. I keep one phone plugged in at home and it's in the farthest room from where I am.

I think it's comical how people are comsumed w/ their phones......

About a month ago while driving in my car I started looking at other driver's around me to see how many of them are on a phone while driving. About 1 in 5 is what I was seeing. I think it's pretty sad myself and I think it's a good reflection of how this has become a me,me,me,me society.

Back