Wife wants cell phone for 11 Year Old Daughter

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
My wife wants a cell phone for my 11 year old:

"That way I can coordinate changes in school schedule".....
"She can all us if she needs us"....
"She needs to learn while we still have some control"....

and my all time favorite:

"All the other kids have one"....

I am NOT for a 11 YEAR OLD GIRL to have her own cell phone. Is there a way to get a plan that limits the numbers it will use? What the heck did our parents do when we were kids before cell phones? :banghead::banghead:

And, before you ask, NO Saiid, Rico Suave CANNOT HAVE THE NUMBER :evil:

I did it with my 11 year old boy, i did it as a learning tool and it will help with him learning responsibilty. it's prepaid so it makes them focus on accountability for useage and not waste minutes... Goood grades and a good attitude helps him maintain usage of it.. He doesn't live in house with me, so we also use it as a communication tool for him and his brothers security for they're walk to school in the mornings..

Well if they really need one..get one of those old flip out phones..no texting or anything just a phone..i bet they will change there mind about a phone..all these kids want to text, chat, send pics ect..just remember theres no going back if they get one of those phones..it becomes a way of life ...

I will be having this battle before too long. My youngest (10yo) already has mentioned it...I shot it down pretty quickly....for now.

They do have advantages..safety being the main one. Some also have GPS in them. Like mentioned above....try to keep it just a phone....not a distraction. Prepaid or limited use would be ideal.

Good Luck...if you are like me, I am the only male in the house...I get over ruled more and more.:laugh:

OPTION A: cell phone use out in the open with your oversight/supervision/controls
OPTION B: she's forced to go underground behind your back

My wife and I agreed option A was better when my two daughters asked for phones years ago (they are 19 and 21 now).

Get her an iPhone. 4s is .99 cents at AT&T now. I like it because of the 'find my iPhone' app which lets me see exactly where she is. For safety I like that. Unlimited texting is nice too. And Rico Suave doesn't need her numbers because girls are already beating down the door for him :moon:
Just don't let her get addicted to Fb and it. I have noticed with Kathy that is seems to consume valuable time. But hey it's 2012 and that's what kids do. 11 is old enough.

well I used the old land line, times are changing, heck I bet half or more homes don’t even have a land line anymore. Both of my kids had cells around 10 or so when they could show they were responsible for things around the house, not responsible the phone goes away, or any behavior we didn’t approve of for that matter the phone was gone. I wouldn’t get one without a plan, and yes I would get one with texting, all the other kids have them I know you hate that but that’s how they communicate these days like it or not, and actually they do come in handy, there have been many of times we have been thankful for getting them one.

In my opinion, it really depends on the maturity of the child and your willingness to put in the extra effort to monitor its use. If either one of those is lacking, then don't do it.

By the way, there are apps available that let you secretly monitor all emails, text messages, and phone numbers called. At least that way you can head off trouble before it gets out of hand.

Cell phones are a great tool...but like any tool, it can be used in the wrong way and cause a lot of damage. Choose wisely.

Get her the best phone with all the options or she'll be an outsider and end like me, you've met me....

Fight it if you want, but you will eventually loose....pick your battles, cause they get harder the older she gets.

It depends on how well she is behave and her maturity level. If she's 11 gets good grades and mature I say let her have one. I fought it for years but lost the battle. My daughter got one when she was 10. My son is now 10 and wants one but his grades suck, he doesn't take care Of anything, and his maturity level is more like an 8 year old so he's not getting crap! Girls are typically more mature, just set ground rules and stuck to them. My daughter in now a freshmen in high school and I've had to take the phone when's she's in trouble before and it's like taking the keys from a teenager. It's good leverage, and besides..... All the other kids have one lol.

Ok, if she is not afraid of being branded a nerd, what about a ham radio HT? :laugh:

No cell phone for my kids until they are 18.

You just don't want her to have any friends, do ya? :laugh:

Solves the problem, eh? :laugh: there is always two sides of an equation.

If your daughter has what it takes to get a tech license, then she can be trusted with a cell phone.

Besides, Ham always works, and there is very little you can do with a cell phone that you can't with a modern HT. And no cost per minute or data plan.

Friends are overrated. :laugh:

Im not sure what service provider you have but there is ways to limit and monitor her calls and texts. Cell phones are a must these days, as long as she doesnt abuse it I say give it a chance. With the monitoring and GPS capabilities I say its a win win. Its also good to be prepared and I would definitely want my daughter to be able to get in touch with me at a moments notice and vice versa. Dont have to worry too much when they are really young but when they start go out hanging with friends and such its a good peace of mind to have :whistle:

Back