Are heat cycled tires safe...for how long~?~

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I know heat cycling tires (burn outs, track day, etc) can weaken and/or damage the structure of a tire.

My question is this...you have a good tire that is heat cycled often. How long would you trust this tire.

The question was brought up on my trailer tires in this thread.
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/random-thoughts/134087-gremlins-struck-twice-5-miles.html

Reason I ask is this...let's say for example if you have a set of tires you use only for straight line use. You go to the drag strip and heat the tire up before your runs, then run a top end event at 200mph.

Doing one or the other, the tire should last it's visable life...

What about doing both~?~ How long would you trust the structure and integrity of this tire going back and forth between different types of events that place stresses on the tire much differently~?~

I would not expect to see a motorcycle tire fly apart this bad, but I would think many heat cycles would have some affect on it...

this was caused strictly from excessive dyno runs. Heat it up, cool it down, heat it up, cool it down... Tires can last longer if you can control the temp fluctuation between these cycles.

AATireBlowup006.jpg

According to Jim Allen who recently retired from Dunlop as their chief engineer in research and development of Motorcycle Tires, "Heat cycles are a thing of the past. No longer do heat cycles have an affect on tire life or performance".

Last edited:
That's good info to know, the question has been in the back of my mind for a while...

now i'm curious to know what different causes there are for a tires tread to delaminate from the carcass?

Makes me feel better too. I know they get hot on the track, and then I take them to the street. I really would like for them to stick together and get me home.

My straight line only set of tires really do not have very many miles at all on them since I don't use them on the street, but of course the miles they do have are all hard use miles...

That set sits in the garage off the bike between events...

It really saves my normal riding tires a great deal though~!~

now i'm curious to know what different causes there are for a tires tread to delaminate from the carcass?

Gremlins....:rofl:

Seriously overheating, exceeding the speed rating of the tire for extended time, overloaded vehicle, too low or too high pressure, or a flaw when the tire was made. Those are the things that come to mind. Probably a few more are out there.

Most people don't realize how critical their tires are and don't pay enough attention to them. That is why tire pressure monitors are so important.

Next time you are on the Interstate, look at the amount of tire carcasses in the summer vs. the winter.

Proper air pressure is the most important thing you can do to extend the life of a tire. On Dunlops website they say never to run a touring tire lower than 36psi.

The tire pictured above that seperated the rubber from the carcass most likely was a result of low air pressure and overheating? I don't recognize the tread pattern but appears to be a sport touring tire? :dunno:

over heat was the cause for that failure. Plenty of air pressure but just to many dyno passes. I wanna say BT56 tire but it's from a long time ago.

underinflated causes excessive heat, overload causes heat, exceeding speed limit causes heat, tire tread movement (swuish?) causes heat, hell just from hard acceleration and tire distortion causes heat. Seems excessive heat is what kills tire more than anything...

i have always noticed if i do a burn out...tire quickly eats up and gives me like no miles.

I know in the 80's, a tire that went through a few burn outs became a bit "crisp" and you had to keep an eye on them~!~

Is this part of the heat cycle after math eliminated also~?~

Haven't noticed it in the last few years...but don't roast tires like I used to either

Back