How long is too long?

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
How long could you guys take the site being offline if we wanted to take the forum offline to make a move to a new forum package?

A day, a couple of days, a week, a month? How much time would be bearable?

Cap

Take whatever time is necessary to get the job done. We will all survive Cap!

My first answer would be one day. But better not rush a good thing so two should do it...Ok take as long as you need :lol:

couple weeks sounds reasonable but hey watever as long as it makes the site better. who can really complain its free....

We have some good plans.... but there is a lot of history to work through too! We are thinking of just getting the basic forum online and then moving from there with the data and adding features as we go.

thoughts?

Being down a week or more to handle a data transfer and to stand up the new site is not unreasonable. We are all loyal fans of the site and will be here waiting however long it takes. Do it right the first time, I am sure everyone would prefer one longer outage over lots of little ones due to problems from rushing.

Do what you need to do Doug. You aren't losing me regardless :)

Very true. Loyal peeps will always return. Fcku the rest. J/k!
Take whatever is needed. Looking forward to the update.
Troy

We have some good plans.... but there is a lot of history to work through too! We are thinking of just getting the basic forum online and then moving from there with the data and adding features as we go.

thoughts?

I like this idea. That gets things back up quicker and doesn't put the pressure on to have everything available all at once. I've used this approach many times when upgrading or changing business systems at work.

We are thinking of just getting the basic forum online and then moving from there with the data and adding features as we go.

thoughts?

Did I read that right? you want to go to a BASIC site and then build on from there?

IF that is a step backwards (or many steps) then my vote would be to keep it off line for a predetermined amount of time (say one or two weeks) and at least get it back
to how it is now or better. Then if you need a 12 or 24 hour window to upgrade it with more features - so be it, with plenty of advanced warning before it going down OR maybe set a date
like the first of the month every month for 12 or 24 hours of downtime. If improvements are forthcoming.

Thanks for all you do.

I'm going to give a very honest answer, but I do so in the interest of helping you make a good decision:

I have been a 3-4 times a day orgster and I have gone some time without visiting also. I think after a week you start to break the addiction, and in 2 weeks we might lose some people permanently. Longer than 2 weeks and you will need to come back with things really looking good. I understand the huge volumes of data you have to sort but if people come back to the site after 3 weeks only to find that the stuff they need is missing or impossible to find you might lose more people.

Bottom line is you have to look at what you will be offering and question whether or not that is enough to get people to reengage the site. Personally, in almost all cases I came back to the site after an absence to find a post on a mod or something like that. In looking for that I found posts by people I know and gradually found myself pulled back into the community. So you need to get good how-to posts back on the site before reopening it.

Another thing to think about is it's better to have the site down once than many times for smaller time periods IMHO, as long as you don't go away too long as I have already discussed.

just my 2 cents.

Back