Anyone still modding the OE Swing arms (Extending ~4") anymore?

RobBeck

Registered
Looks like a user named PowerHouse used to do this mod which was called their Stealth Swing Arm, but they stopped several years ago.

Does anyone else do it or do most just jump on an entirely new swing arm anymore? I am looking for a very mild extension as I want this bike to be very close to stock for handling (and OE appearance) but with just a bit of an edge for launching.

the price of modding the stocker is close to buying an aftermarket swingarm. what kind of launching are you doing? roll race, drag launch at a track, or just messing around with friends around your riding spots?

the price of modding the stocker is close to buying an aftermarket swingarm. what kind of launching are you doing? roll race, drag launch at a track, or just messing around with friends around your riding spots?

Mostly messing around on the street as I don't want to sacrifice the handling too much and I was thinking a very mild increase (ie. sub 4") in wheelbase could be a good fun street compromise. May dabble with some test and tune dragstrip stuff but nothing serious, handling is definitely more important to me than the 60' times. I also really like the OE swing arm look so was considering buying another used swing arm since they are dirt cheap and ideally someone was still modding them. I've even considered machining my own extensions albeit a weld in style that works with all of the OE hardware. But perhaps some sort of the commonly available extension setup may just be the quickest way to toy around with it while being quickly reversible if I don't really like it.

Long term goal is to build some very tame OE like custom turbo setup, but again just for mostly playing around on.

Where are you from? I have an OEM swingarm with Roaring Toyz extensions I would sell for cheap. It’s taking up space in my garage and I don’t need it.

Reactions: pcs
i use to see people weld in their bolt on extensions. some shops also use to advertise extension kits that required you to cut up the stock swingarm. i haven’t seen any recently but you might have to start calling shops up to see if they still sell them. if u have the tools to fab up your own extensions, go for it.

IMG_2638.jpeg

IMG_2637.jpeg

Where are you from? I have an OEM swingarm with Roaring Toyz extensions I would sell for cheap. It’s taking up space in my garage and I don’t need it.
St. Louis, MO. Have pics?

PS: I have a '09 and not sure what the difference is if you had a 13+ one?

i use to see people weld in their bolt on extensions. some shops also use to advertise extension kits that required you to cut up the stock swingarm. i haven’t seen any recently but you might have to start calling shops up to see if they still sell them. if u have the tools to fab up your own extensions, go for it.
View attachment 1674230

Like the concept of this one and it could suffice.

Otherwise a high quality OE looking weld-in extension that uses all OE hardware is what I'd prefer most.

Reactions: pcs
Looks like a user named PowerHouse used to do this mod which was called their Stealth Swing Arm, but they stopped several years ago.

Does anyone else do it or do most just jump on an entirely new swing arm anymore? I am looking for a very mild extension as I want this bike to be very close to stock for handling (and OE appearance) but with just a bit of an edge for launching.
The guy that did it for powerhouse retired, if I remember correctly. I have one of those arms on my shelf that I never managed to install and think is great how it looks pretty much stock unless you have it next to an actual OEM

The guy that did it for powerhouse retired, if I remember correctly. I have one of those arms on my shelf that I never managed to install and think is great how it looks pretty much stock unless you have it next to an actual OEM

Willing to sell that Powerhouse swing arm? Is it for a 2nd gen?

The pics I've found of them aren't the best quality so hard to see details, but I really like what I'd seen with them and the concept.

There are bolt on extension kits available on eBay if that works for you.

Yeah I saw some of those but most are just a bit more aggressive than I care to explore. I was thinking maybe 4" tops.

Also always makes me a bit worrisome that they may be junk, so much of that out there these days with cheap China parts.

I agree with your concerns however there are a couple of threads on this forum saying guys have had good experiences with bolt on extensions. They say if you’re drag racing then don’t use bolt on’s but for street use they’re fine as long as the quality is there.

The advantage with bolt on’s is they are a fraction of the cost of a new swing arm, they are a lot less work to install and you can easily switch back to stock.

I agree with your concerns however there are a couple of threads on this forum saying guys have had good experiences with bolt on extensions. They say if you’re drag racing then don’t use bolt on’s but for street use they’re fine as long as the quality is there.

The advantage with bolt on’s is they are a fraction of the cost of a new swing arm, they are a lot less work to install and you can easily switch back to stock.

Yeah I am sure the concept of bolt in extensions is fine for the most part and the convenience, ease, and reversibility is all cool too. But that does not mean that some of them may not be complete junk (ie. low quality materials, bad castings, etc). Finding a shop that machines them from USA materials is what I'd be looking for, as was saying so much is copied from China anymore and you just don't always know what you are going to get and I'd prefer to not gamble on lower/unknown quality.

I'm similar in that I really only want to go about 4 in over stock. It centers the rear axle in the middle of the tail section for a Gen 2 and gives you better ability to launch and do roll-ons and all the things that stretch bikes and do well. Not totally losing the street ability and maneuverability of a stock bike.
I'd much rather do a 6". I had a 6 in stretch on my previous GSXR 1000 and it didn't hamper me for the most part for doing what I do for normal street writing and stuff like that. But with a stock tail section on a gen2 Hayabusa 6 over starts to get into the tail light and license plate and the 4 in is about the perfect mark.

I'm similar in that I really only want to go about 4 in over stock. It centers the rear axle in the middle of the tail section for a Gen 2 and gives you better ability to launch and do roll-ons and all the things that stretch bikes and do well. Not totally losing the street ability and maneuverability of a stock bike.
I'd much rather do a 6". I had a 6 in stretch on my previous GSXR 1000 and it didn't hamper me for the most part for doing what I do for normal street writing and stuff like that. But with a stock tail section on a gen2 Hayabusa 6 over starts to get into the tail light and license plate and the 4 in is about the perfect mark.

Totally agree. I think 2-4" is about where the bike still could look OE as well, maybe even better than OE as you have stated as it would center the wheel better. I think that Spencer cycle bolt-on 2"-7" extension kit I linked above is looking to be like a fine option for what I'm wanting to achieve here.

I could be talked into selling, but not sure what it is worth these days.

Post up some good pics. Guess can look at it and make an offer. To me most will pend on the quality of fab work and condition of powder coat etc.

PS: Looks like we have the same '09 Busa color scheme.

Back