Anyone know how to fix a GoPro's mp4 file?

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
Unfortunately I crashed my GSXR750 at Texas World Speedway, but I have no injuries. The bike will need a lot of work, but I was filming when I crashed with a HD GoPro. During the crash, the Go Pro's battery cover popped open and the battery came out just enough to come off the contacts and lose power. Luckily the camera is fine, just put the battery back in and put the battery cover back on.

But since I never hit the stop recording button and the camera lost power while it was recording, the video isn't finished properly. This is the error message when Win Media Player tries to play it;

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

Its an MP4 file, 720MB.

I googled for hours try to find fixes and everything seemed to be a dead end. I tried http://goprohacks.blogspot.com/p/how...rupted-or.html program to fix the MP4 file and I was able to start their program, input the file's name, enter the video type "ntscr3", enter the compensation value of 0 and this is the error message this program gave me;

"The system cannot find the path specified. 'pearl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Does anybody know how I can fix this MP4 file? I really would like to see the crash footage!

Thanks!

Re: Anyone know who to fix a GoPro's mp4 file?

The camera itself is the only way I know that can recover a file. It has a way to do it. Go to GoPro's support site and search there.....

Get the file repaired and post it up. Hope you're uninjured. Sorry about the ride and the off.

Yes as Skydivr says there is info on how to recover the video on gopros site.

The support page didn't fix the problem. I sent the GoPro support team an email, hopefully the person who gets the email has some actual knowledge on how to fix the file.

Thanks, I'm lucky to have no injuries. It was a fast crash, 100+mph lowside, and I slid for a ways then started tumbling. Unfortunately the bike slid, then started tumbling too. I'll post up pics and details after I finish with fixing this file.

Ouch that hurts!

I have found GoPro support to be very helpful.

GoPro support team came up empty. They said if the SOS feature didn't come up, which it didn't, they cant fix it.

The support page didn't fix the problem. I sent the GoPro support team an email, hopefully the person who gets the email has some actual knowledge on how to fix the file.

Thanks, I'm lucky to have no injuries. It was a fast crash, 100+mph lowside, and I slid for a ways then started tumbling. Unfortunately the bike slid, then started tumbling too. I'll post up pics and details after I finish with fixing this file.

Glad you're alright brother.

try the vlc media player,, might help but im pretty sure go pro has to close the file

VLC player didn't work.

Thanks, I'm glad I didn't get hurt too!!

The solution was to use index rewriting by recreating the missing moov atoms of the file. I used http://curx.free.fr/market/fixenV2.zip from this website
GoPro HD Cameras Hacks et astuces: How to restore GoPro MP4 corrupted or truncated file ? and it was able to fix my video. Unfortunately the crash was not written to the SD card by the time the battery became dislodged, so no crash footage for me. One guy explained,

"It's a common problem with long gop mp4. a single gop can be 300 frames or about 10 seconds, and losing the single i frame they correspond to loses all 10 seconds of video. so yeah the crash was probably in the cameras ram buffer and not written to the file yet when it lost power. "

That sucks, but don't try it again just to get the video!

try the vlc media player,, might help but im pretty sure go pro has to close the file

VLC player didn't work.

Thanks, I'm glad I didn't get hurt too!!

Glad you got it figured out. I've seen VLC player recover some of the files when batteries pop out but not others. For some reason the files writes to the hard drive showing a 7 second video with nothing that can be opened. 50% time fix with VLC player.

Back