Need Help with Video Codecs

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Ok, I'm stumped and I'm sure someone out there can help.

The new GoPro HD records in .MP4 mode not native to either Windows Media Player or Windows Movie Maker, so it's got to be converted.

Zukracer hooked me up with a really good converter program, the problem is trying to figure out which file type to convert to that a) retains as close a quality to the original file, while b) readable by both WMM and Media Player.

Some of the .avi's get sound no video. Some don't function at all. one of them plays but with the screen cut in half and the bottom in green.

I've got a feeling that somehow I've messed up the codecs needed but am lost on how to repair. Thanks in advance for your help!

Dennis: XPsp2; I may have previously made a mistake when I installed one of those "codec packs" that's supposed to help; I think it only hurt and when I uninstalled it I may have messed it up even worse....

Man, you really have to be careful when installing that codec pack there is a lot of other programs it tries to trick you into installing...

That should install for XPSP2. Accept the licence agreement then decline all of the other crap that keeps the codec free.

Still screwed up. Is playing an AVI in Media player, but will only play sound in Movie Maker....:banghead:

Still screwed up. Is playing an AVI in Media player, but will only play sound in Movie Maker....:banghead:

in movie maker. click tools/options. go to the last tab and make sure that all of the codecs have a tick by them. try importing the file again hope this works

Error message when trying to drag .mpg into it. Converting to another .avi type now to see if it will work. Converters take some time...

Do you have PowerDVD? That use to come free with a lot of commercial computers that will play MP4 files in native mode. :beerchug:

Playing the file is not as much a problem as editing it with WMM....just because you can preview it does not mean you can edit it...

This is the one I had installed (and the one that I think messed it up). This one will play an mpeg; but still can't edit, and it plays AVI's in a half-screen with the bottom half green. I know this doesn't make sense guess would have to post pic.

While I did get a converted mpeg2 to work in wmm, it hangs frustrating!

Back