anyone ever rode the autobahn?

Yes guys,
I am from Germany, I live near Frankfurt, there is the main Autobahn crossing, because Frankfurt is situated in the middle of Germany.

It's true, there are meanwhile more and more speed limits, but there are still enough sections without limits. If you ride on the Autobahn you will find always challengers with Porsches, BMW or Audi and other. Normaly I don't like that but sometimes..... you have to show them what a Busa is, but it's really dangerous if you have lots of traffic.
Sometimes I am riding early on a Sunday morning, it's not a lot of traffic there, so you can let the falcon fly, I love it..... :laugh::laugh:

Greetings

Dadofthree, The Rhinemaidens are Woglinda, Wellgunde and Flosshilde, these are old German girls names, and the music of Mr Wagner is pretty good as well :thumbsup:

Wagnersmaidens.jpg

in summertime i do it nearly every day. that´s not too difficult, cause i´m german ;-). most autobahns are heavyly crowded, but there are still some routes where you can make a long highspeed-ride, e.g. the A31. this route is quite new, about 250mls long, has no speed-limits and cause it´s not a main-route, there´s no disturbing traffic. don´t wanna miss this.

in summertime i do it nearly every day. that´s not too difficult, cause i´m german ;-). most autobahns are heavyly crowded, but there are still some routes where you can make a long highspeed-ride, e.g. the A31. this route is quite new, about 250mls long, has no speed-limits and cause it´s not a main-route, there´s no disturbing traffic. don´t wanna miss this.

what do you drive\how fast?

I did1 65mph + for quite a few miles a between Strasbourg & Basel few years ago, in my BMW ALPINA B10 3.2. (6 cylinder, manual gearbox) It was rock steady, my wife was asleep the whole time, radio on, best car I ever had.

that is a awesome car

what do you drive\how fast?

while playing with porsches, bmws or other victims i use the full potential of the engine.
but to be honest, fun stops at about constantly 150 mls/hour. to my belongings best travel-speed for longer trips is 125 mls/h. this speed is possible on most autobahns, except rush-hours or holidays, even the more crowded ones.
i´m quite sure you guys would love it. ;-)

how hard is it for a tourist American to get a license
to drive on the autobahn?

The people in the US couldn't handle it.........they'd be dying in droves. Plus its too easy for 16 year old kids to get a license and die now..............imagine those same kids on an autobahn :laugh:

That's probably part of the reason German's can't get a license until they're 18 and it's very expensive. Plus over there, the learn to drink before they learn to drive, not after.

It's pretty easy, you can get a temporary license through AAA or other agency's on the web. Used to be about $30-$40 bucks I think, but haven't checked in a while. Easier and quicker than getting a passport!

tourists don´t need any license to use german autobahn. if you find one - ride it ;-) these are free to use (except for big trucks, they have to pay a special tax).
make sure to carry enough money, gasoline is about four times (!!) more expensive than in the u.s.

driving-licenses are very expensive, too. if german kids want to get one which allows them to ride cars (no trucks) and small motorcycles (up to 34 HP) you have to pay about 2000-3000 $. two years later you can get the license to ride bigger motorcycles. truck-driving-licenses cost about additional 4000-7000 $.
car driving is possible from the age of 17. until kids are 18 an adult co-pilot has to be in the car - anytime they drive!
from the age of 18 to 20 kids are restricted to 34 horsepowered-motorcycles. if you´re twenty or even older, you can ride any bike - if you can affort to pay the needed fuel ;-)

Great thread. was over there last spring, but all the autobahn sections were speed restricted when i was on them. heavy traffic too.

but it's fun to dream that there's somewhere we could actually open up our busas legally.

Aren't there places in Montana that have no spped limit? ???

Actually, that WAS the case before the mandated 55 mph in the 70's. Since that was lifted, the speed limit is officially 75, but you can get away with 85 if conditions are good.

Most MHP are cool with looking the other way if you're on an open interstate, but don't take that for granted...

Like a bird in flight. How about they close it for cage traffic Sat and Sun and have only bikes on the weekends? I am there!:thumbsup:

Back