Wiesbaden, Germany to the Autobahn

Congratulation  
super.gif
you and the wife are going to make plenty money while in German.  Wiesbaden is just outside of Frankfurt, their plenty of Autobahan to let it rip.  

I here in Heidelberg Germany working as DoD civilian, if I can help you with anything let me know.

PM at flyasbusa1@hayabusa.org with your mailing address I mail you an info packet for M/C license

Below is snapshot:

Bring your current license as mc/operator;
Take a 4 hour orientation; pass the road sign test "Simple"
Take the community safety riding course "beginners, advance,

However if you fail any portion on safety riding course they will require you to attend a German riding school. At your expense.

They really have tightened the mc rider’s requirement due too number of death won’t bore with that now.

beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|Flyasbusa1
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137692859 -->

Thanks for the map and info.  The wife will be traveling all over Europe auditing various U.S. defense contractors.  I get to tag along whenever I want, or I can stay at the residence in Germany. Seems like a great way to get immersed in European culture.

The DOD will pay for someone to manage your house (I'll rent it I think).  They will pay to transport one vehicle, and you can guess which one that will be.  From what I've heard, you can get most anywhere by rail or subway.  I will sell the cars before we leave.  I don't know if I will buy one over there or not. Depends on what I learn after I get there.

Any info on living in Europe will be appreciated.
Recommend you ship one car and buy a german beater when you get here, mc can come with the household goods, I sure this is a full cost move you're entitle 18000lbs.
And your right with transportation system excellent, can't be late they will not wait door opens door close train departs

isn't nurburring in the same general area over there?

that would be worth a weekend trip to ride on also I believe..

like 8 bucks to get on it and drive from what I remember reading somewhere.

I used to live in Heidelberg too. Best time of my life. I had (and still have) a 1984 Kawi 750 Turbo. You know, the old bike with tons of power and NO BRAKES OR HANDELING. I took it out once for a 130 mph cruise and that was it. It weaved and felty out of control.
I'd love to be back there on my Busa. I used to love to see those end restrictions signs. When I saw those I would immediately floor it. I had my stock 96 Honda Civic with three passengers going 125 when the rev limiter kicked in. Still makes me chuckle. My Father in-law was in the front seat trying reall hard not to look scared. My little tiny Honda and it's tiny tires just flying down the road, it felt like a kite.
We took over a junker Honda too. It was an 84 Accord with 175,000 miles. On it's way to Germany the shippers bent the drivers door back until it touched the front fender and it ended up being totaled. The insurance company said we had to pay them 200 for them to keep the car otherwise we had to take it. I still don't get it but hey.. $200 and the car back, no proble,. I found a new door and Krylon'd it white. We took that car to Paris. They drive like animals in Paris. The only crazier drivers in Europe are the Italians...and they're WAY crazier! Anyways, I had the 84 Accord going over 90 for eight hours straight. I kind of wanted to see if it would hold together. Man, Honda makes some tough cars!
Fastest car I saw in Europe was some tiny 2 door box like car with four people stuffed inside. They passed us like we rolling backwards. It had an exhaust pipe about the size of a pencil. I have no idea how it went that fast?! I miss Europe, it was bad disco coming out of every young guys car, great beer, neet people, weird rules, sometimes no rules, lots of purple hair ( never got that one), and cops you do not disrespect. They can forcably administer roadside urinalysis if the suspect refuses to take the sobriety test. You can also get a ticket for not using the formal form of German when addressing them (like sir).

I used to live in Heidelberg too. Best time of my life. I had (and still have) a 1984 Kawi 750 Turbo. You know, the old bike with tons of power and NO BRAKES OR HANDELING. I took it out once for a 130 mph cruise and that was it. It weaved and felty out of control.
I'd love to be back there on my Busa. I used to love to see those end restrictions signs. When I saw those I would immediately floor it. I had my stock 96 Honda Civic with three passengers going 125 when the rev limiter kicked in. Still makes me chuckle. My Father in-law was in the front seat trying reall hard not to look scared. My little tiny Honda and it's tiny tires just flying down the road, it felt like a kite.
We took over a junker Honda too. It was an 84 Accord with 175,000 miles. On it's way to Germany the shippers bent the drivers door back until it touched the front fender and it ended up being totaled. The insurance company said we had to pay them 200 for them to keep the car otherwise we had to take it. I still don't get it but hey.. $200 and the car back, no proble,. I found a new door and Krylon'd it white. We took that car to Paris. They drive like animals in Paris. The only crazier drivers in Europe are the Italians...and they're WAY crazier! Anyways, I had the 84 Accord going over 90 for eight hours straight. I kind of wanted to see if it would hold together. Man, Honda makes some tough cars!
Fastest car I saw in Europe was some tiny 2 door box like car with four people stuffed inside. They passed us like we rolling backwards. It had an exhaust pipe about the size of a pencil. I have no idea how it went that fast?! I miss Europe, it was bad disco coming out of every young guys car, great beer, neet people, weird rules, sometimes no rules, lots of purple hair ( never got that one), and cops you do not disrespect. They can forcably administer roadside urinalysis if the suspect refuses to take the sobriety test. You can also get a ticket for not using the formal form of German when addressing them (like sir).
+1

You will have a blast, awsome, very clean country. Be sure to check the laws about maintaining your vehicles over there also. They have some very strick enviromental rules regarding changing your oil and stuff like that. There are reasons that BMW's have there oil sucked out, not drained!!

Floyd,

Did you get my PM?

Let me know if I can help....

Josh
cool.gif
wink.gif
Nothing yet  
wink.gif
Sorry, FAVahaliks name is Floyd also....
wink.gif

I didn't realize we had so many memebers in Germany.  My parents are there and I just got back from there before Christmas (explored for 2-weeks).  
smile.gif

Maybe next time we can get together.  I was hopeing to drive on Nurumburgring but the track was closed that day for snow.  Oh well, maybe next time....  

My Dad rides a BMW K1200RS so PM me if you are interested in getting together with them.

Josh
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137777853 -->

wink.gif

wink.gif

cool.gif

Floyd,

Did you get my PM?

Josh
cool.gif
wink.gif
Nothing yet  
wink.gif
Sorry, FAVahaliks name is Floyd also....
wink.gif

I didn't realize we had so many memebers in Germany.  My parents are there and I just got back from there before Christmas (explored for 2-weeks).  
smile.gif

Maybe next time we can get together.  I was hopeing to drive on Nurumburgring but the track was closed that day for snow.  Oh well, maybe next time....  

My Dad rides a BMW K1200RS so PM me if you are interested in getting together with them.

Josh
cool.gif
Will do Josh, thanks
smile.gif
 When I check his ID I said same first name humm, didn't realize it was so many member here in Germany either will post thread when spring hits.

Its    
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|Flyasbusa1
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137782770 -->

wink.gif

wink.gif

cool.gif

smile.gif

Floyd,

Did you get my PM?

Josh
cool.gif
wink.gif
Nothing yet  
wink.gif
Was your PM the one with your parents email. If so I got it and appreciate it.

Wow, I've been away from the internet a while and love all the responses. We will be going in March of 2007, about a year from now.

I googled for an hour before I came up with the most recent licensing info. It turns out that if you are in the state of Hesse and you work for someone like the DOD, you just show them proof and they will trade you a German license for your US license. Wiesbaden is the capital of Hesse. Good for me, because otherwise, coming from Texas, I would have had to pay $2000 for driving instructions and pass the written and driving test if I wanted to stay for more than 6 months.

Someone mentioned that I could take 18,000 pounds (DOD). In that case, I'll just take our Camry and the bike and sell my truck. It's a pretty good deal. They pay about $5000 a month for living expenses and just about double my wife's salary. I will drink lots of beer for all of you!

wink.gif

Yep....that was me.
wink.gif

Personally I wouldn't take a car over unless it's German or some other form of nice driving/well handling car but that's just me. Once you get on the AUTOBAHN you will know what I mean when you are in a econo box or another poor made car. You will hate it because everyone will pass you and it will drive like crap while struggling to cruise at 100MPH. It's just not SAFE in my opinion....
sad.gif

Buy a BMW, Porsche, etc....when you get there. You will be much happier!
biggrin.gif

+1
I'll have to remember the sir part.

Yep....that was me.
wink.gif

Personally I wouldn't take a car over unless it's German or some other form of nice driving/well handling car but that's just me.  Once you get on the AUTOBAHN you will know what I mean when you are in a econo box or another poor made car.  You will hate it because everyone will pass you and it will drive like crap while struggling to cruise at 100MPH.  It's just not SAFE in my opinion....
sad.gif

Buy a BMW, Porsche, etc....when you get there.  You will be much happier!
biggrin.gif
Well, I thought about selling both cars and buying something when I got there. Then selling it before I left. The Camry is a V6 and honks along at a pretty good pace, it would hold 110 fairly easily. The Busa is the fast one in the stable. I'll think about the cars.

I would think that 40 miles of 170 mph on the Bus would wear you out pretty fast, being hunkered down and having the wind tear at you. Maybe not. I'll just have to try it.

The license thing shouldn't be a problem. As long as you have one in the US before you go over, you just take a local test and your good. You will be exempt from most of those requirements because of your DOD employed spouse. It's almost the same as if you were military.

I assume she will be working on the Army base?

As for the Autobahn.
laugh.gif
<--MAP--> You will be on it everyday. That is really the only way to get around if your going long distances across Germany. Otherwise it will take you days zig-zagging back and forth across the back roads. You'll understand what I mean when you get over there.

The autobahn is a lot different than you think. But you'll learn all of that stuff when you get there. Just watch for the unrestriced signs because it isn't unlimited everywhere.

I can give you more info later, but I have to run to work.
wink.gif
Actually not. She is a civilian defense contract auditor for the DCAA (defense contract audit agency) which is a branch of the DOD. We will be living in the city in civillian housing. She gets $3346 per month for rent and living expenses and and $962 a month for POST, whatever that is. Plus she gets a good bump in pay for just going. Pretty sweet. She will be traveling all over Europe to different contractors, and I get to tag along if I want, or I can just stay in Wiesbaden if I don't (I get to be retired--I'm 59 next year).

Here is a question I thought of: If I want to rent a house with a garage or an apartment with some kind of gated parking, what will that cost a month? You can't leave a Busa on an apartment parking lot and expect it to be there the next morning. Could I rent parking space somewhere away from my living quarters to lock it up? What really clinches the deal is that the government pays for management of our house, so we can rent it and let the mgt. company worry about the tennants while we are gone.

I think I'd have to be nuts to pass up an opportunity to see all of Europe up close and personal for 3 years.

Back