Wiesbaden, Germany to the Autobahn

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
Next year, I will be re-locating to Wiesbaden, Germany. How far would I have to ride to get on the Autobahn?

I looked for maps on the web, but I can't find any with enough detail that I don't have to buy.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get a license for a bike in the power class of the Busa? I know it is not as easy as it here.

I think if you are in the military you don't have to worry about the licence. And who cares how far you have to go to get to the autobon:D . You lucky bugger!!! Whatever you do don't mess with the german police.

I think if you are in the military you don't have to worry about the licence. And who cares how far you have to go to get to the autobon:D . You lucky bugger!!! Whatever you do don't mess with the german police.
I've heard that about the German police.

I'm not in the military, in fact I'll be retired when I go there. But, my wife works for the DOD as a civilian auditor. We will be there for 3 years, and the DOD will pay for housing, food, and extra for just going.

It's not 100% certain, but probably 80% for sure (she has to fight with other auditors to get posted there, but she is at the top of the list).

Pretty lucky, I agree! I'm wondering how far you can ride a Busa at say 180 indicated, before the tires get too hot, or the engine blows. That and how long can you hunker down behind that tiny windshield at that speed. Bet I get to find out!

Spent 2 years over there in Ashafenburg ! You're gonna luv it ! Agree with frisbee , the German Polizzi don't mess around , do what they say ! And once u find the Autobahn , if you're in the far left lane and see flashin' lights , comin' up behind U really fast , GET OUT THE WAY ! This means you're going too slow !

Is there a "the" autobahn? If my memory serves me right there are alot of roads with no speed limits.

The license thing shouldn't be a problem.  As long as you have one in the US before you go over, you just take a local test and your good.  You will be exempt from most of those requirements because of your DOD employed spouse.  It's almost the same as if you were military.  

I assume she will be working on the Army base?  

As for the Autobahn.
laugh.gif
 <--MAP--> You will be on it everyday.  That is really the only way to get around if your going long distances across Germany.  Otherwise it will take you days zig-zagging back and forth across the back roads.  You'll understand what I mean when you get over there.

The autobahn is a lot different than you think.  But you'll learn all of that stuff when you get there.  Just watch for the unrestriced signs because it isn't unlimited everywhere.  

I can give you more info later, but I have to run to work.  
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137178670 -->

Thanks for the map and info.  The wife will be traveling all over Europe auditing various U.S. defense contractors.  I get to tag along whenever I want, or I can stay at the residence in Germany. Seems like a great way to get immersed in European culture.

The DOD will pay for someone to manage your house (I'll rent it I think).  They will pay to transport one vehicle, and you can guess which one that will be.  From what I've heard, you can get most anywhere by rail or subway.  I will sell the cars before we leave.  I don't know if I will buy one over there or not. Depends on what I learn after I get there.

Any info on living in Europe will be appreciated.

<!--EDIT|FAVahalik
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137179826 -->

Check real good into buying the car over there ...when I was there , alot of the German cars were not allowed back in the U.S. unless they pass some kind of emissions test first . Also heard it costs a fortune to get the cars legal for inspection .

You're going to love it there. I was in Frankfurt for 4 years and the autobahn runs right through all of the major cities. So , no matter where you are in Weisbaden, you are merely minutes away from the autobahn ... the setup is just like the interstate highways in the U.S. as far as proximity. Now beware of the regular country and city roads, because the do have tightly enforced speed limits. If you get caught by a traffic/speed cam you will get a ticket in the mail ... just pay it on time or they will come and get your vehicle. Also, don't try and pull a "ghost rider" because if you slip up and get caught trying to run ... you'll have plenty of accidental falls before and after your 4 x 4 jail cell
smile.gif

Seriously though, you will love it there ... have fun!!

Lots of stuff to learn but you will have a blast doing it.  

When will you guys be leaving???

My parents actually live over there right now (near Ramstein AFB).  I don't know how much longer they plan to stay since they are retired but they can def help you with any info or questions you may have.

The train is a quick and fun way to get around.  Also you will be surprised how cheap FLIGHTS are also so don't count that out.  It just depends what country/city you want to go to get the best transportation.  You can't beat the bike though for getting around.  Esp with the lane splitting and parking just about everywhere for bikes.  It's much harder to find car parking sometimes outside of Germany.

As for the cars, I don't know what you have in mind but I would def get one over there.  You can buy BMW, AUDI, VW, Porsche, etc...for a lot cheaper price over there through military car sales.  Look into www.pentagoncarsales.com/ for BMW, Mini, Saab.  There are a few others also at the different military installations. It just depends what you want. Just make sure it is US Spec so you can bring it back. Otherwise you will have a heck of a time getting it back into the US.

I'll send you a PM with my parents email, if you want to get in touch with them over there. They were in the states for Christmas/New Years but will be back in Germany next week.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Josh
cool.gif

When you get to Germany - send us beer!!!!
beerchug.gif

If you get a chance check out Garmish (southern Germany). The DOD runs a few hotels there so its pretty cheap to stay. Awesome snow skiing near by.

There is no "the" autobahn as the other guys said. It's the same as our interstate system only with (usually) reasonable speed limits. Unfortunately, the days of completely unrestricted speeds are about done as traffic over there can be pretty bad. I've been on bahns that were as backed up and crawling as in Los Angeles. BUT, I've also had the pleasure of cruzing at 100+ for pretty long distances. No matter what, you are going to absolutely love it there.

You'll enjoy it. As other have said, you are not far from the autobahn. I was in Frankfurt for three years as a DOD civilian and had a part time job with UPS (18.00+ per hour) at a hub outside of Weisbaden. I can't remember the name of the small town. I believe Autobahn A66 runs from Frankfurt to Wiesbaden. The speed is restricted. As you go into densely populated areas, you will encounter speed limits. Thje funny thing is that the speed limits on the back roads are generally faster than our highways. Remember the word "stau". Means traffic jam. Germans take the traffic jams in stride. They will get out of their cars and smoke and joke. Never park illegally. They have trucks with the crane-like arms and will literally pick your car up in the air and place it in the flatbed. Public transportation is the best I've ever seen. Always on time and easy to navigate.

As far as a car, see if you can buy a used german car from someone that is ready to depart. Then you can sell it when you leave. Happens all the time. Buy a new car when your ready to come back. The european automakers (volvo, saab, vw, bmw, etc) have US sales programs. You will save the import fee by taking delivery shortly before you depart. US shipping can be included in the purchase price. As far as American cars, you can order through the Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) Car sales for stateside pickup or overseas pickup. Straight cost, no haggle sales.

If you drink beer, forget the Budweiser. They have the best beer in the world.

I used to work at V Corps right next to Gruneberg Park in Frankfurt. Needless to say, nude sunbathing was the norm.
tounge.gif

I spent 4 years in German while in the military. Unless things have changed, military DO have to pass a written drivers test. The test will really test your memory skills too. Besides several text questions there's approximately 150 signs to memorize if I remember correctly. Took me two tries to pass the test.

How far from the Autobahn? Not far. Every major city is connected with Autobahns.
Hell, you can drive across the country in approxiately 8 hours (north to south).

Here's a few driving tips:

* Even though there's no speed limits on the Autobahn's, there are a few posted speed limits on some "sections" of the Autobahn; nearing Frankfurt for instance. Better obey them too.

* Typically 50km/hr between small towns, and police are dead serious about that.

* NEVER get in the left lane on an Autobahn unless you're passing.

* If there's a posted sign -> don't ignore it. Germans love their autobahn's and race like mad-men from point A to B, but most are absolutely serious about following laws. Even parking signs.

* Never test the patience of German police, you'll lose in a big way.

* If you come upon an accident on the autobahn and traffic comes to a stop, do what the rest do. Pull off the road. Emergency vehicles will be coming up the center - fast, and believe me, you don't want to be in their way. (Pisses the police off.)

* Don't expect the Autobahn's to be the quality of a race-track. They aren't. While some have big sweeping turns and are nice to ride fast on, others have deep ruts in them which collect rain water nicely or have poor overall quality. Once you get out into the country Autobahn's may only be two lanes in each direction, and you'll be saying to yourself, "This is an Autobahn?!"

* NEVER think you're the fastest thing on the road. Trust me, you'll be handed your hat in short order. Germans are used to driving fast. It's one of their pastimes. Your Busa @ 150mph will keep up with most of the stuff, but not all. I owned a 1969 SS396 Chevelle when I was over there. I thought it pretty fast. Wrong! I was typically embarrassed as micro-sized Fiat would blow past me while I was humming along at 125-130mph, (not to mention being occasionally passed by the REALLY fast stuff going 160-190+mph).

Good luck over there. It's an interesting place.
smile.gif

Back