Anyone else race these slot cars?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
I used to race these when I was young. Car, tires and controller and buy time on the electrified track. They had rental cars too but having your own, with the ‘better’ motor, tires and controller was best. Could be expensive but a lot of fun.

I can't remember what slot set my older brother had in the early '70s but I do remember the cars were a fair size and the track was wide. I didn't get to play with it very much as he and my other older brother hogged it.

Later I bought my sons a slot set which was modeled after "Smokey and the Bandit" with a transport and Trans Am...it was fun.

Then we got into RC and never looked back although my younger son still has the slot set and plays with it with my grand sons.

Loved my AFX speedway when I was a kid

Yep. I had a basic one similar to this. This is how I know the name Jackie Stewart. If this track has a second configuration as one big oval, it may have been this one.

The track latches that held them together were brittle and snapped one by one anytime it was assembled or the configuration changed. LOL ran out of good track parts eventually...

My best friend had massive amounts of track, creating a super long speedway across the basement floor, with an upwards, I think triple, spiral. Oh man that was sweet!

1670442210908.png

Kind of along these lines I knew a guy who was into trains...when I say he was into trains, he was a fanatic....he actually got out of the military and became a conductor.

His entire basement was a model train set, he recreated our area and he was very detailed as he'd take pictures of everything to recreate it. He even had graffiti on the rail cars as he'd take pictures of the trains passing through.

Now all the trains and tracks are gone around here and so is my former colleague who had to move to remain employed at CN.

Kind of along these lines I knew a guy who was into trains...when I say he was into trains, he was a fanatic....he actually got out of the military and became a conductor.

His entire basement was a model train set, he recreated our area and he was very detailed as he'd take pictures of everything to recreate it. He even had graffiti on the rail cars as he'd take pictures of the trains passing through.

I have a close friend who is similar but not quite on that level. He had a gorgeous custom wood display case built by a furniture craftsman to display his classic toy railroad engines. He worked for CSX as an engineer. He had great love for trains although I think he got sick of the CSX job and is back into repairing cars.

I have a close friend who is similar but not quite on that level. He had a gorgeous custom wood display case built by a furniture craftsman to display his classic toy railroad engines. He worked for CSX as an engineer. He had great love for trains although I think he got sick of the CSX job and is back into repairing cars.
This guy was a bonified train nut.....he had the most patient wife in the world though.

If we talk about collections, my neighbor's kids are big time into Lego and they went to someone's house to buy some Lego and they were saying he had display cabinets full of very expensive built Lego kits.

The dad was saying he had probably over 100 kits and many more unbuilt. I bought the neighbor kids Lego for Christmas and noticed some of the kits were crazy expensive.

Now all the trains and tracks are gone around here and so is my former colleague who had to move to remain employed at CN.
My grandfather had a piece of plywood with a train set on it in the garage. It was on pulleys and ropes connected to the roof so he could lower it to use. He’d raise it up for us to play ping pong or bring it down when he’d show it to us.

Back