We must have some RC car guys around here.

That shop floor looks good for the cars. I just don't have anywhere smooth enough to get an on road. There's an Rc shop here with an indoor area for drifting, but too far.

That shop floor looks good for the cars. I just don't have anywhere smooth enough to get an on road. There's an Rc shop here with an indoor area for drifting, but too far.

Its perfect, so we'll learn on that then not no how to drive in parking lots when people are watching :laugh:

Here is some of my brothers work.

Mile High RC Drift.

drift RC engine bay Silvia/180sx CS - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, S13 hatch with an s15, too cool. I'm already dumping way too much money into this and that box didn't help anything. :laugh:

I've got a few quads, heli's, cars... I love FPV.

do you guys have gyro's on the steering servo? I had heard that can help with drifting, might be considering cheating, but helps keep the car pointing in the right direction while driving without having to do anything.

I've got a few quads, heli's, cars... I love FPV.

do you guys have gyro's on the steering servo? I had heard that can help with drifting, might be considering cheating, but helps keep the car pointing in the right direction while driving without having to do anything.

Never even heard of such ideas, gonna look into it though. We're just sliding into each other and the tires right now, we can link a few corners. My buddy thats building a D1 spec Nissan is better than I am, who woulda thunk it :rofl:

This isn't really my thing, but it looks like a dang lot of fun. :thumbsup:

This isn't really my thing, but it looks like a dang lot of fun. :thumbsup:

Its alot more fun than I thought it would be, the real test will be this summer. Im thinkin the cars will be great at the cruise-ins, standing around in a parking lot will be more entertaining chasing people with toy cars:laugh:

I don't have any experience with these in cars, just in planes, helis and multirotors, but people have been doing it for years
just a couple of quick links, I don't know how good this one is, just an example:
Exceed RC Drift Pro GD-4 RC Car Drifting Gyro
whats the gyro for?????

I think even cheaper gyros work fine for this (heli's really like better ones). It is kinda cheating, but who cares ?!?! and if you really want to learn, you can start out with it on, and slowly turn the gain down until it is not doing anything and you are doing all the work.

what they do is try to keep the car going the direction you told it to go. If it starts to veer off, or spin out, it will correct the car to maintain the direction you last pointed it in. Now that I think about it, I may actually try one in my off road truck to help keep it straight over rough ground, it bounces around a lot, especially when going fast.

I don't have any experience with these in cars, just in planes, helis and multirotors, but people have been doing it for years
just a couple of quick links, I don't know how good this one is, just an example:
Exceed RC Drift Pro GD-4 RC Car Drifting Gyro
whats the gyro for?????

I think even cheaper gyros work fine for this (heli's really like better ones). It is kinda cheating, but who cares ?!?! and if you really want to learn, you can start out with it on, and slowly turn the gain down until it is not doing anything and you are doing all the work.

what they do is try to keep the car going the direction you told it to go. If it starts to veer off, or spin out, it will correct the car to maintain the direction you last pointed it in. Now that I think about it, I may actually try one in my off road truck to help keep it straight over rough ground, it bounces around a lot, especially when going fast.

I had no idea such a thing existed! We can slide a few corners and link a bit, but its really twitchy and not nearly as smooth as the vids, I thought it was just the learning curve, but maybe not. Im really starting to see where the money goes in this hobby. I might just have to get one and not tell my buddy about for a day or 2:whistle:

yeah, some people can do it really well, and there are contests for this sort of stuff. The gyros are considered cheating, but if not competing,I'd do it.

yeah, some people can do it really well, and there are contests for this sort of stuff. The gyros are considered cheating, but if not competing,I'd do it.

I'm just in it for fun, and spinning out and hitting the floor jack isn't fun. :laugh:

Tires do make a lot of difference, I used to see guys running regular compound tire front for traction/direction and the harder compound rears to get the spin and slide a lot easier to manage.

I run them occasionally,me and my son do rock crawlers,amazing the places these trucks will go,i also fly RC Helicopters ,heres the trucks
image_zpse9f14cca.jpg

I got into the cars and trucks a long time ago. Only really did one car, most everything I did and still have is either big 4x4 trucks and stadium trucks. I have 5 or 6 left. We get them out once in a while and tear up the neighborhood with them, seems like every time we get them out we end up breaking something so they come out very often anymore.

Tires do make a lot of difference, I used to see guys running regular compound tire front for traction/direction and the harder compound rears to get the spin and slide a lot easier to manage.

I pulled a set of a car I got 13yrs ago at a toy store and they fit oddly enough, softer sponge type, Wrapped em in some electrical tape and off to sliding, felt a lot better than the rubber ones it came with.

I pulled a set of a car I got 13yrs ago at a toy store and they fit oddly enough, softer sponge type, Wrapped em in some electrical tape and off to sliding, felt a lot better than the rubber ones it came with.

Yeah, the spongies are for max grip but wear fast, regular rubber are good depending on surface and what your doing with them. they make the hard rubber almost plastic feeling in a way because of hardness which spin and slide a whole lot easier which is how you see those guys just sliding them around a course. That's why I said the harder on the rear so they break loose and spin but still will give forward momentum and say standard on front for control of steering/direction.

I got some PMT's on a couple 5th scale's and cold all they will do is spin with anything more than 1/4 throttle,too easy to drift when cold but once they get up to temp they stick like drag radials on VHT at the track(maybe not that good but you get the point) on a good surface. And some of those tires can run $150 and up a set depending on compounds so even though it's fun doing the donuts or holding them back and making them smoke it's not as much fun when you need to keep replacing them.:laugh: You can get cheaper ones also but then thats like trying to control a 3ft 20lb rabid squirrel on ice that'll do 60-70mph. And it's not fun or cheap for that matter when they hit something with any speed.

These are probably more what you need:

Drift Tires

Yeah, the spongies are for max grip but wear fast, regular rubber are good depending on surface and what your doing with them. they make the hard rubber almost plastic feeling in a way because of hardness which spin and slide a whole lot easier which is how you see those guys just sliding them around a course. That's why I said the harder on the rear so they break loose and spin but still will give forward momentum and say standard on front for control of steering/direction.

I got some PMT's on a couple 5th scale's and cold all they will do is spin with anything more than 1/4 throttle,too easy to drift when cold but once they get up to temp they stick like drag radials on VHT at the track(maybe not that good but you get the point) on a good surface. And some of those tires can run $150 and up a set depending on compounds so even though it's fun doing the donuts or holding them back and making them smoke it's not as much fun when you need to keep replacing them.:laugh: You can get cheaper ones also but then thats like trying to control a 3ft 20lb rabid squirrel on ice that'll do 60-70mph. And it's not fun or cheap for that matter when they hit something with any speed.

These are probably more what you need:

Drift Tires

The squirrel thing is exactly right!!

Buddies car came with ht hard drift tires, Ive got a set on order, the tape was the quick fix :laugh: These things get pretty darn complex and expensive! I need to get into playing checkers, that must be cheap:whistle:

Back