Anyone done the advanced rider course on the Busa?

IScream

Registered
Subject pretty much says it all. Just curious if any of the emergency stuff makes it likely to drop the bike...

-Chris

I was just thinking about this on my ride in this morning...

Who's taken an advanced course? What's it like?

Where's Ridercoach when you need him?
smile.gif

Here's the objective list for the local one I was looking at...

High speed maneuvering

Quick swerving and avoidance techniques

Counter steering

Traction control

Emergency braking for corners and slippery surfaces

Corner setup and execution

Riding over obstacles

Iscream, if you don't mind I would like to ask if anyone thinks this would help someone like my wife that has a year of driving under her belt? Or do you guys think it is too "advanced"?

Sorry to hijack, but great minds think alike!
biggrin.gif

Subject pretty much says it all.  Just curious if any of the emergency stuff makes it likely to drop the bike...

-Chris
I teach the course. I have had 3 busas in class (one in the beginner class). None have dropped theirs. With experienced riders, the most likely place for a drop is in the U turn box and would be a 1-3mph drop. Even then it is very rare. I haven’t ridden a busa through the exercises, but have ridden a blackbird through the complete course. Just work with what you are comfortable with and work on the technique. Don’t worry about crossing the line.

SILO, may have a pointer or two.

Iscream, if you don't mind I would like to ask if anyone thinks this would help someone like my wife that has a year of driving under her belt? Or do you guys think it is too "advanced"?

Sorry to hijack, but great minds think alike!
biggrin.gif
Sign her up. Does she understand press steering (counter-steering)? She is doing it, but does she realize it? She does not need to know the physics of it, but knowing she needs to press right to go right and practicing it a bit helps considerably.

All of the exercises are in the beginning rider course with one exception. The speeds and distances are changed slightly for larger bikes and more experienced riders. She can ride at her own level regardless. If she has a year, she should be fine

i did iscream i had to do figure of eights on abit of a incline and i found it very hard to do this at such i low speed due to the steering.i thought that there wasnt anouth lock on the busa,and i needed to be more upright not spread ova the tank.but others may think different.
wink.gif

Subject pretty much says it all.  Just curious if any of the emergency stuff makes it likely to drop the bike...

-Chris
I teach the course. I have had 3 busas in class (one in the beginner class). None have dropped theirs. With experienced riders, the most likely place for a drop is in the U turn box and would be a 1-3mph drop. Even then it is very rare. I haven’t ridden a busa through the exercises, but have ridden a blackbird through the complete course. Just work with what you are comfortable with and work on the technique. Don’t worry about crossing the line.

SILO, may have a pointer or two.
Thanks Professor. What is your opinion on the overall value of the class? I've been riding for a long time and understand countersteering but it seems there should still be many things I can learn. Does the class mostly teach things folks should already know if they have some miles under their belt?

-Chris

i did iscream i had to do figure of eights on abit of a incline and i found it very hard to do this at such i low speed due to the steering.i thought that there wasnt anouth lock on the busa,and i needed to be more upright not spread ova the tank.but others may think different.
wink.gif
Thanks Paulos. I'm not too worried about passing or whatever. If I can learn to better react in some situations, I think it will be worth the $75 and a Saturday. Might even be fun getting to do some of the stuff on a closed course...

-Chris

Thanks Professor.  What is your opinion on the overall value of the class?  I've been riding for a long time and understand countersteering but it seems there should still be many things I can learn.  Does the class mostly teach things folks should already know if they have some miles under their belt?

-Chris
I feel it is a very beneficial class. Yes, it does go over the basic technique of each exercise. It is the thing they “shouldâ€￾ know, but may need to work on or polish a bit. The MSF BRC is about 10 hours on the range and 4-5 in the class. The ERC is about 5 range and 2 classroom. There are actually a few variations of the ERC, but the basic 5/2 will be the same. What you are skipping (or only spending limited time) is learning clutch control, what the controls are and how they work, street survival strategies, etc. The BRC is geared for someone that has never ridden a motorcycle. The ERC is expecting that you already have ridden 6 months or so and have the basic control operation down.

While a lot depends on the instructor, you should gain quite a bit out of it. I teach a few classes that the students are REQUIRED to be there. Some are quite upset they are required to take the course. Of all the feedback I have received, they were glad they attended and found they could improve. A couple of years ago, I would have thought It would not have helped me. I had been riding on and off road for 25 years. I struggled with a few of the exercises when I was training to be an instructor. I had to break a few bad habits as well. I’m a believer in training and looking forward to a more advanced training with Reg Pridmore or the equivalent.

Quite a few of the techniques are same thing you will work on in a performance or track oriented class.

I’ll tell you what, you are only 3 hours away, come to one of our classes. After the class, if you think it was not worth it, I’ll refund your $75 out of my own pocket! That is what I think of the value of the class. I even bought a gift certificate for one of my riding buddies to get him to take it.

Yep, I did it on my busa. No problems at all if you're used to riding a relatively heavy machine. In fact, I had a blast with the S curves and whatnot. What I DID have a problem with was the Rider Coach standards! Just for fun I had the instructor run me through the instructor standards and I couldn't make the low speed turns inside the "box". All in all a good time though.

would the Advanced or EBC certification help with anymore discounts on our insurance like the basic MSF? Not saying I absolutely don't need it, but if I take one, it would be for that reason going into it. After surviving a about 14000 miles in the L.A. Traffic Jungle, I'm pretty confident in my "learn as you go" survival skills.

would the Advanced or EBC certification help with anymore discounts on our insurance like the basic MSF?  Not saying I absolutely don't need it, but if I take one, it would be for that reason going into it.  After surviving a about 14000 miles in the L.A. Traffic Jungle, I'm pretty confident in my "learn as you go" survival skills.
It all depends on the Insurance company. Almost all give 5-10% if you have a MSF completion card. MSF says up to 20% but the feedback I'm getting is 5-10%. I've been told State Farm does not. Mine gives me 5% which saves me a whopping $13 per year. Not sure what will happen when I get a busa.

Verify before counting on it but quite a few clubs reimburse some of the cost. HRCA (Honda) will pay up to $75, BMW used to reimburs 100% with a new bike but stopped, I believe Suzuki (new bike) will pay the first $50, HOG gives up to $50 in form of a gift certificate (that'll get you a t-shirt) ROK (kawasaki) Up to a $50 coupon, Yamaha new bike $50 Savings Bond.

reaction time can't be taught. Awareness can be. Most things to be aware of are common sense.
Reaction time, maybe not. Awareness, yes. The proper technique and practice of that technique until you use that correct technique automatically is the real benefit. If you know how to brake correctly but get lazy in day to day riding, you are going to form a habit. In an emergency, you are going to perform the technique as you do day to day. Break those bad habits and it could mean the difference between soiled pants and a coffin.

Not only do you want a fast reaction, you want the correct reaction. How many times have you heard “I laid it down to keep from hitting the carâ€￾? They had a crash before they got to the crash. Typically they locked up the rear tire and low-sided it. If they did not hit the car after the low side, they wouldn’t have hit it with a proper quick stop. (The friction coefficient of rubber against concrete is much higher than aluminum and plastic against concrete!)

Back