Any Used Car Salesman out there?

I sell new and pre owned vehicles at a Nissan dealership... If you know what you are doing you can usually get a new vehicle for about the same if not less than you would pay for a 1 year old. New cars are usually less profitable than used but you can make profit on both. KBB is very high compared to what most customers get, I would have to say edmunds is the closest for accurate trade in.

Would you think I could get a $12,000 discount on a new one? New are $45K....?

No, not that much of a discount on a new one. Figure between 3-5k markup on a new one so unless they have 7k in rebates you won't get that much off of a new one.

Well, I went and had another look today, and both my and my wife drove it. Salesman was low pressure, and we didn't make a big deal out of it. Wife liked it well enough. Told him thanks again for letting us look at it, and left. Have not called him back yet (of course, today was end of month maybe I should have made offer just didn't want to appear too eager). Trying to decide if I should go back down there tomorrow with my checkbook, or wait a little longer.

Saiid, sent you a PM with a link.

I'm not a "Ford" man...even though I'm not happy with government motors, I'd match my Silverado and Tahoe with anything Ford put out.

I haven't seen the Carfax yet, but I know where this vehicle came from. One of the major car rental agencies has released a bunch of these. So this vehicle was a rental. That means it was in all likelyhood (serviced/mantained and inspected regularly), and usually those who could afford to rent this vehicle usually don't trash them. I know they bought it from an auction, which means someone with ur access probably has a good guess what it was bought for. Just looking for a reasonable range to offer.

Yes I know I'm at the disadvantage - he's a pro and I'm an amature.

Keith, I rent cars weekly, sometimes more than once a week. As such, I am provided upgrades upon upgrades usually for the price of a compact car. I often drive caddies, various sports cars, suburbans/tahoes, etc. I work with 100s of others that are in the same boat as I am and know its a feature offered to most any high end frequent renter. Let me assure you we drive the dog piss out of the rentals. The "drive it like you stole it" is frequently mentioned. While the rental companies are often good about doing scheduled maintenance cars are put on the lot with next to no miles and no "break in" period. People put the cheapest gas they can find into them regardless of what it requires. Once they reach 20-25k miles they retire them out for sale.

Just something to keep in mind. As someone that has rented 100s of cars over the past many years I honestly would never buy one of them. Its true you don't know what you are buying and there are exceptions to the rules but lets face it, people do not take care of things that are not theirs....they just generally return it in a condition that will not affect the relationship with the person they borrowed it from (or rented).

Really? I'm shocked. Any car I've ever rented, I "drove like i'd have to buy it if I tore it up"....that surprises me.

Keith, I rent cars weekly, sometimes more than once a week. As such, I am provided upgrades upon upgrades usually for the price of a compact car. I often drive caddies, various sports cars, suburbans/tahoes, etc. I work with 100s of others that are in the same boat as I am and know its a feature offered to most any high end frequent renter. Let me assure you we drive the dog piss out of the rentals. The "drive it like you stole it" is frequently mentioned. While the rental companies are often good about doing scheduled maintenance cars are put on the lot with next to no miles and no "break in" period. People put the cheapest gas they can find into them regardless of what it requires. Once they reach 20-25k miles they retire them out for sale.

Just something to keep in mind. As someone that has rented 100s of cars over the past many years I honestly would never buy one of them. Its true you don't know what you are buying and there are exceptions to the rules but lets face it, people do not take care of things that are not theirs....they just generally return it in a condition that will not affect the relationship with the person they borrowed it from (or rented).

Really? I'm shocked. Any car I've ever rented, I "drove like i'd have to buy it if I tore it up"....that surprises me.

Me to.. its either respect for something that's not yours or "you break, you buy" (in a small Asian woman's voice).

But I do put cheap gas in it. : laugh:

I have returned cars with parts torn up, they turn their heads when you rent as much as I do and there are plenty of people that rent way more than me. I don't drive it balls out every time I get in it but I have returned Lincoln Mark LT pickups covered in mud, I've brought back other cars with clearly driven hard stuff. I'm not alone by any means. The bulk of the people that rent a handful of cars a year probably are more like you, drive them like you will have to buy it if its messed up. The majority of the daily/weekly renters probably are closer to what I described. Also most corporate rental agreements include the insurance in their rate, so those guys are a lot less concerned with little stuff...of course no one wants to wreck one or intentionally harm a rental but at the same time more are abused than loved a majority of their "rental life"

Whatever you do, make sure you get it thoroughly checked out, inside and out. Check all of the trim, make sure you get the engine checked well. You can spray down an engine with simple green to clean it and then cover with armor all and it will look dang near new. Also make sure they have all of the accessories for it, I've rented several that came with the wireless headphones, spare keys, all kinds of stuff you would not expect to be left in them. I just would hate to see you wind up with something less than what you expect and deserve.

Me to.. its either respect for something that's not yours or "you break, you buy" (in a small Asian woman's voice).

But I do put cheap gas in it. : laugh:

Nah, a good bit of people just drive them hard as heck. Like I said they dont intentionally do harm to them but they do drive them very hard with no real concern for the car as they will likely never see it again.

Nah, a good bit of people just drive them hard as heck. Like I said they dont intentionally do harm to them but they do drive them very hard with no real concern for the car as they will likely never see it again.

I agree, some people do drive them hard, its a new car, has warranty and its insured, it can take a lil beating, its not like the cars going to blow up.

There are plenty of vids out there "car rental abuse"

rented a mustang gt 5.0 a few weeks ago ( well i had a compact but was upgraded) drove it hard every time i got in it.... tires were almost bald when i brought it back... no one ever said anything to me about it, i have rented a fair amount though

rented a mustang gt 5.0 a few weeks ago ( well i had a compact but was upgraded) drove it hard every time i got in it.... tires were almost bald when i brought it back... no one ever said anything to me about it, i have rented a fair amount though

When I was younger and dumber, we used to have competitions for who could get a picture of event X. One was highest speedo reading while driving, another was best burn out, another was craziest parking spot, etc. I've never starred in the stupid rental videos but probably could have a few times LOL.

Btw I won second prize for the craziest parking spot by parking my excursion inside a snow pile someone plowed into a parking lot....of course the winner actually drove his explorer up on the same snow pile...when we came out the next morning his front tires were on my hood :banghead: Younger and dumber and pretty dang lucky I'll openly admit :laugh:

Would you think I could get a $12,000 discount on a new one? New are $45K....?

skydivr,

Can you give more info about the vehicle and options.

CXL1 is it FWD or AWD?
Bose?
Rear DVD?
Dual sunroof?
Trailer package?
Chrome 19" wheels?

You are talking an MSRP of anywhere from $39k-$47k for a BRAND NEW one but that's MSRP. NO ONE pays MSRP especially on a GM.

Invoice price is $37,800 - $44,170 NOT including the $2,500 ($1,500 on the 2012's) rebate they are currently running.

So you could essentially have a brand new 2011 for $35k right now ($41,500 fully loaded). If the used one is withing $5k of that price I wouldn't even consider a used one.

Personally as zukracer said, rental cars are USED and ABUSED....not to mention wrecked. I wouldn't even consider buying a rental. My wife had one when we first met and the thing had been rearended so hard and fixed poorly, it would never drive right. I would stay away unless they are asking in the high-$20k's and the thing is PERFECT!!!

More info needed for better advice... :beerchug:

What most dealers refer to as "program" cars are daily rental cars, and some are lease returns. I would much prefer a lease return, over a rental car that has had many different drivers, although most of the problems I found with rental program cars were cosmetic in nature, door dings, burn holes etc. Although I sold hundreds of program cars when I was in the business, I don't think I would buy one myself. When you tell the dealer up front your paying cash, what your letting them know is that the dealer will have no opportunity to make a profit from making the finance arrangements, so most will know to hold the profit on the selling price. I would recommend letting a dealer know how you intend to pay for your purchase after you have negotiated the price, heck if anything tell them they can finance the deal, and that you always buy the extra warranty, gap insurance, maint program, life and disability ins, tire and wheel protection, theft ins. etc. etc., then when you get in with the finance guy, say, you know what, lets just do the car and I'll write a check.:laugh:As far as a fair price, low mileage used vehicles are bringing big bucks at the auction here, and the selling prices reflect it, so I don't think a person is going to steal a nice car from a dealer right now. Dealers use the NADA black book to bid trades and buy at the auction, although any book is just reference. A dealer will pay more for a nice car because he can get more for it.

Any update on this?

Did you work a deal on the used or find a new one for the same price?

I'm working with a 'finder' with access to the auctions who will buy it/ship it/detail it and sell it to me (kinda taking out the dealer and his lot overhead). We watched one go yesterday that I would have had to pay about 33.4 (12k miles) for, and one today that went for about 16k higher (11K miles different auction location less inventory more buyers bid up the prices). Another for sale on the 20th and some more coming up soon...

What I am doing is I have specified what I am interested in (year/color/interor/options), search to see what's going to come up for auction, look at each vehicle, and then tell him what range (and a HIGH) of what I'd be willing to bid; then he bids up to what he'd be willing to sell it to me for at that purchase price).

Saiid, I think the original offer on the one I looked at @32K was too low. But I think I can end up with same vehicle, with less mileage for around 34 =/- $1K. Just gotta be patient.

skydivr,

Can you give more info about the vehicle and options.

CXL1 is it FWD or AWD?
Bose? YES
Rear DVD? NO
Dual sunroof? YES
Trailer package? No
Chrome 19" wheels? YES

You are talking an MSRP of anywhere from $39k-$47k for a BRAND NEW one but that's MSRP. NO ONE pays MSRP especially on a GM.

Invoice price is $37,800 - $44,170 NOT including the $2,500 ($1,500 on the 2012's) rebate they are currently running.

So you could essentially have a brand new 2011 for $35k right now ($41,500 fully loaded). If the used one is withing $5k of that price I wouldn't even consider a used one. The one I would want, with the options listed, would be about $43 (yes, i've been thru this with the 'finder'); and I'm looking for one with about 5-10K miles on it for 8-10 less. Our sales tax here is 9.5% so that difference really starts to add up on final price.

Personally as zukracer said, rental cars are USED and ABUSED....not to mention wrecked. I wouldn't even consider buying a rental. My wife had one when we first met and the thing had been rearended so hard and fixed poorly, it would never drive right. I would stay away unless they are asking in the high-$20k's and the thing is PERFECT!!!

The 'finder' is looking at the Carfax, and at each vehicle report from the auction site which details all this.

More info needed for better advice... :beerchug:

See above

Back