Any Used Car Salesman out there?

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
I'm looking to pick your brain and strategize. We sold my wife's old worn out Tahoe last month, and I'm looking for another vehicle for her. I know what I'm looking for (2011 Buick Enclave, CXL-1, Silver Exterior, Ebony Leather Interior, 15K miles or less, Sunroof). I am a cash buyer, so this is a clean, easy transaction (if I can get him to a reasonable price). I expect the seller to make money, just don't want to be made a fool of. Just trying to get past the first year's depreciation and new car price. I've even got a line on one.

Just a thought...with the end of the year coming quick you may be able to buy new for what a 1 year old will cost you.

Good luck!

sent from my dunce stool via Tapatalk

I always look at the Kelly Blue Book to get an idea of what they are worth. It will give you trade in, Retail and sell on you own option. Best of luck

"I expect the seller to make money...." the seller will ALWAYS make money so remove that expectation from your purchase plan.

I always look at the Kelly Blue Book to get an idea of what they are worth. It will give you trade in, Retail and sell on you own option. Best of luck

Cross check that against NADA and Edmonds. I've found KBB to be dealer friendly ( high sale value, low trade value).

Never leave with the car/truck the same day of haggling. My dad haggled and left with his new truck, they called him the next day offering 1500$ off the truck not realizing he DID buy it already. Start low, you have cash and they are paid to work so you aren't wasting their time.

Make sure they know right from the get go that you are a cash customer. Take it home for the night but bring it back the next day and tell them you're not sure and need to think it over.....start walking away and watch what happens.

I'd throw you all out! Your not good enough to buy cars from me! :)
You and your online buying tips and insider tips and third baseman and mavens and I gotta speak to the wife and we are just looking and yadda yadda yadda......

Keith I would ask you why an Enclave and not an Edge or Lincoln Mkx?
If that's what you decided on than how can I help?

I'm not 'taking home for night' any car I don't own/insure. They know I'm cash. I haven't made offer yet, but they know I'm interested. I've maintained email contact for a few weeks now, and have passed on a couple others. I have some other resources that are also looking for me, so he knows if he wants my business we need to strike a decent deal or I'll go elsewhere. What I'm trying to frame is what a decent offer would be. I looked at KBB/Edmunds/NADA and I think i know what a decent offer would be. I would suspect that they make their money on how well they BOUGHT the vehicle in the first place.

Where are you Saiid?

I sell what I like. It's easier that way. When I sell one of the above I do really feel its a better product.
GM product values fall and Fords don't. Ask yourself why?

A Ford Edge is a better vehicle than the Enclave all the way around. The MyTouch system is second to none right now. And the Lincoln is even better than that.

Keith your correct. The used car profit will be in how well they did when they bought the car.
Your gonna pay fair market price no matter what. The mindset of any and all customers is no matter how much they pay it was too much. Just a fact of life. Make an offer you feel comfortable with and let them decide if they can do it or not. No two used cars will be exactly the same so it's difficult to shop or compare.

Saiid, let me ask you this. Which of the above sites (kbb, edmunds, & NADA) do you feel is more accurate? that will help Skydivr get a better feel on a fair offer. I never know whic to trust, they very too much.

Saiid, let me ask you this. Which of the above sites (kbb, edmunds, & NADA) do you feel is more accurate? that will help Skydivr get a better feel on a fair offer. I never know whic to trust, they very too much.

None of the above because none of them actually transact in cars. I have always been confused at how websites that don't transact in cars know the value of them?

We use the black book and Mannheim live auction website. Both of these are dealer only info and always lower than the three above. Kelly is always high. People insist on getting this number for their car and simply tell them to scroll down to bottom of page and click on tab that says 'sell to Kelly'. They always reply there is no such thing and that's when I tell them they just made my point. Kelly doesn't buy or sell.

Saiid, sent you a PM with a link.

I'm not a "Ford" man...even though I'm not happy with government motors, I'd match my Silverado and Tahoe with anything Ford put out.

I haven't seen the Carfax yet, but I know where this vehicle came from. One of the major car rental agencies has released a bunch of these. So this vehicle was a rental. That means it was in all likelyhood (serviced/mantained and inspected regularly), and usually those who could afford to rent this vehicle usually don't trash them. I know they bought it from an auction, which means someone with ur access probably has a good guess what it was bought for. Just looking for a reasonable range to offer.

Yes I know I'm at the disadvantage - he's a pro and I'm an amature.

Back