any tips

busabrad1300

Registered
I watched my friend wreck his 04 busa yesturday on this curvy road we ride on. That was the second busa that wrecked on that rode the last two rides. The 600 bikes we ride with are now saying we can't hang with them on the turns. ANY suggestions to improving my riding skills on the turns.

ShowLetter.jpg

Brad,

Based on your last two posts, I would highly reccomend you look into a motorcycle safety course. I do not mean this as a slam in any way.

Even without knowing your experience level, I can tell you that they have different level of courses that can benefit even a seasoned pro. The classes out today are not just to help you get an endorsement for your license.

Get the book "Twist of the wrist" by Keith Code. Study it, again, and again, and again! Study yourself as you ride. The Busa will hang in to corners very well with great knowledge and great tires. A few people I have talked to swear by the Pilot Sport, and some the Pilot Power. Both look like great tires.

Remember: "The mistake the you made was what you did just before the problem occured".

Take a 2FastTrack or MFC course and learn how to 'Really' control your bike.

I have thrown my Busa around into corners faster than I thought it could do it. I commited myself to the turn and made it around right on the tail of a Honda 954, and the roads were wet.

beerchug.gif

Try not to fall! Go to school at the race track (road course) do a track day.
wink.gif

I suggest you take a course on the track.... they should really help! I'm thinking of taking one of those courses in UK
biggrin.gif

The busa handles pretty well, It might not be as nible as a liter or 600... but it handles just as well in the turns with a lil extra effort!

Just make sure you give your self enough breaking room...thats probably why your buds crashed becasue they went in the same speed as the 600s. also what i do is tap the front brake just a bit to get weight on the front tire and when you lean lean, your body parts will hit the ground before the bike falls. also move to different sides of the seat. and tires are very important. I got some diablos and havent had a slip yet. Most important thing i think is confidence casue if your scared your toast

Just out of curiousity, did your friend tell you what caused the crash? Because I agree with all the people who've responded in that I think the Busa handles very well in the twisties as long as you know its capabilities and you have the right technique. I also recommend "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch as it's geared more towards street riding than Keith Codes's.

My friend was to going around the turn to fast, I think what happened was he hit the turn to wide and caught some of the gravel on the very edge of the road and it pulled his bike off the road and sent him into a ditch.

Hey man when you hit a turn to fast LEAN THE HELL OVER
wink.gif
.  Its your best chance for survival.  Thats how i draged the pucks on my tecknic boots

I'll bet your not over the front enough...get way forward, balls of your feet on the pegs, squeeze with your knees. There should be very little pressure on the bars, light grip cause your not turning, your leaning. Apply pressure to the peg on the side of the turn, going right...gentle pressure on the right peg. When I'm railing, my butt seems to almost hover over the seat, lots of leg work. If your legs are sore the next day, your doing it right. Lots of stomach and lower back action, they'll be sore, too. Practice, practice, practice....then practice somemore!!! Easier to learn on a GSXR 750....oh ya, almost forgot...NO REAR BRAKE, if your using the rear brake, your in "panic" mode...

<!--EDIT|moondog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112991778 -->

I hate to say it but they are right, everything else equal the 600RR will eat a busa up in the twisty stuff, but in the flats the busa will catch them. What I do with those guys is save the twisty stuff for last, take them on a few hundred miles of higher speed turns, then they are so tired from the wind, you can keep up or leave them in the twisties.

That is of course skill levels being equal, the bette rider will always be the best no matter what you put them on.

Classes and track days are the best way to learn.

<!--EDIT|manatrader
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120062738 -->

I DONT KNOW BUSA BRO'S. ANYONE EVER HEAR OF COUNTERSTEERING?
There is a LOT more to the equation than stating "Countersteering"

If you are not set up at the right position and at the right speed for the surface and coefficient friction that you are traveling on, whichever technique you use will still probably result in a "Bad Hair Day"

All of this discussion comes down to the fact that the guy who wrecked his Busa for taking a corner too fast would have probably wrecked no matter what he was riding. If he had gone into that corner at the same speed as another experienced and trained rider who was also on a Busa, the guy probably would have still crashed.

Too many people keep going down the same road of buying a high performance bike and then trying to teach themselves how to be a high performance rider, usually while wearing sub performance equipment. Then when they crash, which they usually do, they blame it on the bike.....

Just out of curiousity, did your friend tell you what caused the crash?  Because I agree with all the people who've responded in that I think the Busa handles very well in the twisties as long as you know its capabilities and you have the right technique.  I also recommend "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch as it's geared more towards street riding than Keith Codes's.
THAT book was a great read for me going from cruiser to sport bike. Great graphics & plenty of illustrations…it even mentions the Busa w/ Busa pics.

Lee Parks Book, Total Control ,is very good also...

Keith Code is a great guy..

From what I have experianced on the Busa and curves so far is. It just gets going to damn fast. You twist a Busa throttle out of a turn and the next one is there before you know it..You have to enter slow and exit fast....The Busa will cut in pretty well mid corner. I have noticed it takes some getting used to entering the turns,setting up for the trun-curve..JMO..

I just got done with my first track day at Road America with NESBA. I thought I knew how to turn, but after only one lap I realized that I had a LOT to learn.

People keep saying "counter steering", but that's only a small part of truely turning and railing the Busa. The Carousel will prove that to you. It's a loooong right sweeper that lasts for about 15 seconds while you're cranked over. By the end of the day, I was running in 3rd gear at about 90 mph around this curve. The counter steering pressure was really only used to get the initial lean into the turn and then it was only a light pressure on the inside grip (Right) and some maintenance throttle to maintain your line. You literally could have taken your left hand off the grip and waved to the camera.

I chose not to remove my hands though.
wink.gif

Tire condition and temperature play a big part, along with braking techniques, and where you're looking. If you're focusing on where you DO NOT want to go, guess what...That is exactly where you will end up. I proved it to myself coming out of a tight turn as I ended up riding along the rumble strip. Those things are way bumpier than they look on TV.

I'm still learning, but my confidence level greatly improved after the experience of a track day. At least now I have a better idea of what to expect out of the Busa.

Good Luck. Do a track day...It's worth the money.
cool.gif

EDIT: Added the pic to show how much I learned in only one day. Experience is a great teacher.

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114279982 -->

Road_America_4_21_05_019.jpg

All i got to say is take time and read these polls!! Everyone here seems to have a good grip on the basics of corning, but everyone also corners differently!! Like one said, "go into the turn comftorable" and lean don't turn!! It does take practice with a bigger bike like the busa, compared to a 600!! But beleive us when we say that IT CAN BE DONE!!

Back