Tips on cornering?

heck just show up at Bash and ride.... nothing like it... before ya know it, you will wear out a set of tires in under 1000 miles... :)

I like the CharlesBusa post:

Tips on cornering;
Look through the corner.
Light hands, no deathgrips.
Be very smooth with brakes and throttle.
When leaned over, don't use your brakes or a lot of throttle. Your tires are using all their grip for cornering.
If you think you're too hot once you're in a corner, "LOOK and LEAN" Don't touch the brakes.
Never lean far on cold tires.

All of these comments hit it all! Just relax and practice. It's different riding and thinking about all that was said! The key is practice to the point when you're not thinking about what to do but what not to do. JMO!!! The second time you'll lean more than the first and so on. Again, re-read all these words above and know we all had the same fears at first. I still do sometimes, especialy after hearing someone else went down...PRACTICE!!!!!

great tips here. you will find you groove with time and practice.. I know some people say squeeze the tank with your legs. I personal found moving my ass side to side and changing the center of gravity helped me out a ton. but to each their own. don't over do it, time my young grass hopper..

Looks like you arent to far from Nelson Ledges Garrettsville,OH about 2.5 hrs.
Daymm, you are even closer to Mid-Ohio School - Lexington, Ohio - Driving School. 1hr away. Lexington Oh. Do a track day in a beginner course and get with a control rider to work with you. It will help you out alot and give you alot more confidence on the street. PLUS the track is much safer. Like its been stated ,just ride your ride.Even at the track. Its easy to get in way over your head realy fast. Bad things happen then. Take your time and things will just start flowing for you. If your are up for a little trip I can meet you at BeaveRun Motorsports Complex 3hrs. Maybe next year since there is only 2 more track days left. Take it slow and steady. Good luck, be safe.

Another point that I have found is when your back tyre starts wearing significantly in the centre throw it away and put on a new one. The difference between a worn and new tyre is amazing. I have just changed my back tyre. Before I had to counter stear a lot where now I simply lean a bit and the bike responds beautifully. In fact the 08 Busa has impecable manners in corners.
Pine:whistle:

Thanks for all the tips ones never to old to learn.

Pine

as iit was already stated, trust your tires, make sure they are scuffed in, if they are not then do that first! Get it out of your head that you are going to fall. If you wait on something bad it will come. I am not saying to go out there and try to ride like a pro but if you have watched some races you will see that leaning and dragging a knee is very doable. Most of all set your own pace when you get it you get it there is no time frame do not be dissappointed in a couple of weeks that you cant carve like a pro. It doesnt happen overnight.

Great thread. I have read the books but this thread helps alot to reinforce the techniques of high performance riding.

Code says "to go fast, slow down". If you are using 100 percent of your attention to make it through the corner, you have no attention left to think about how you are doing it. This and a lot practice has helped me alot. Also, rereading the books; all of a sudden, things make sense.

Last edited:
Very good thread. Much needed advice, for me also. I am still amazed at the cornering prowess of this rather large motorcycle and am still drilling it in my head to trust the tires. I know it all works, but my brain is telling me to be careful. I just have to find the balance.

I will say a lot of practice. Parking lot and twisties. All of above completely right.. I haven't been to a track day as of yet. Looking forward to going very soon I hope. waiting till it gets a little cooler. Just have fun and enjoy yourself it will come.. Before I knew it I actually leaned farther than I ever thought I could. It was awesome..:thumbsup:

Back