Cornering skill quiz?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
It's January and in most parts of the country our beloved two wheel machines are tucked away in the garage (I hate that Florida Rat we call Blanca Busa) where they will remain until the sun begins to peek it's warm rays of spring through the trees. (Except for Blanca, he has no trees but does have year around sun)

So, let's brush up on our riding skills via the keyboard. We all enjoy the wind in our face and the view of a twisty back road ahead. Here is the cornering question of the day:

What is first and formost the most important aspect of properly exicuting a corner/turn? Yes, there is one thing that stands out above all others that most cornering gurus will agree cannot be overlooked.

So what is this confidence inspiring gift that makes corner carving a breeze? :whistle:

Last edited:
Observation for me followed by assessement then planning. This lot will allow you to decide where the road is going, then you can adjust position adjust your speed of approach to safely execute the turn IMHO.:whistle:

1. Look at the road as close to your front tire as possible.

2. roll off throttle mid corner.

3. early apex.

hope this helps. :whistle:

cheers
ken

Of course I don't have the answer, just another question....

At what Temperature (air temp) is too cold for the wheels to heat up enough to give enough grip ?

I LOVE your threads Tuff !!

At what Temperature (air temp) is too cold for the wheels to heat up enough to give enough grip ?

I LOVE your threads Tuff !!

Kenny, I think you meant tires instead of wheels, eh? :laugh:

There is no given OAT (Outside Air Temperature) that limits grip. The colder it is outside the less grip you have and the more caution one must take. On the other extreme, on super hot days it's easy to overheat a tire to be point grip is compromised.

The tires heat up according to how hard you work them, air pressure and OAT. But to answer your question, you can ride in subfreezing conditions and still have enough grip to safely navigate with caution.

Many things are very important. And you can do all of them correctly. I have to go with Throttle Control. If you master the throttle, you control your line, suspension etc. The smother the throttle the faster through the corner. Smooth = fast.

The main points i follow are,

1. Observation.
2. Entry speed.
3. Look for the vanishing point of the road. (moving away, getting closer)
3. Late apex/turn as possible to prevent quarter piecing the turn.
4. Steady on the throttle throughout the turn until the exit is seen.
5. Smooth in fast out.

:thumbsup:

Looking far ahead to where you want to go. where your eyes are focused is where you're gonna go

seriously? that's the answer? dangit, i was ready to take some notes.

Many things are very important. And you can do all of them correctly. I have to go with Throttle Control. If you master the throttle, you control your line, suspension etc. The smother the throttle the faster through the corner. Smooth = fast.

:thumbsup:

Maximum straightaway speed
Last second maximum braking
Intermittent full throttle vascilation in corner
More full throttle and speed shifting before bike is upright at exit
Raised left fist as you pass others to show dominance

One of the best cornering tips I ever got for street riding was from Steve Crevier, the Canadian Super Bike Champion....tilt your head slightly into the corner. That puts your shoulders and upper body into the corner and your bike will follow. I've taught my 16 year old and its worked for me especially when I hit the corner a bit hot.

Back