Tips on cornering?

I always lock my arms and brake when entering a turn, I'm working hard to relax and go more smooth, but it takes some work....

(Rainer3012 @ Aug. 03 2007,11:22) I always lock my arms and brake when entering a turn, I'm working hard to relax and go more smooth, but it takes some work....
try gripping the tank with your legs more, tuck (but not the full speed tuck) and look through the corner. Some may say to try "kissing" the mirror closest to the turn. That's what the technique should look like. This will naturally bend your arms and help you relax. You should be able to move your fingers freely on the grips at all times even while cornering. Some really fast guys can do laps on a roadcourse with just one hand, and still be within a few seconds of lap records.

The front wheel is constantly trying to track itself. It requires minimal input from the rider. Crashes happen when the rider tries to "push" the handlebars too much or stiffen up. That is enough to upset the balance and handling of the bike.

If you live near Columbus consider California Superbike School, which visits the Mid-Ohio sports car course every year. It's run by Keith Code, author of the Twist of the Wrist and other instructional books. It is a progressive technique format that street riders new to the track can handle. You can take a one or two day course, using your bike, for about $450/day. I went for the $2200 two day course using their Kawasaki 6R's, where only 11 or 12 students and 6 instructors are on the course at any one time; enrollment can be held down because of the price. This year's sessions are over, so watch for classes in 2008. Sign up early. You may also want to consider FastTrax at Nelson Ledges, though I have no experience with them.

But first, buy the books on sportbike riding and practice the techniques on the road at legal speeds. Interstate on and off ramps are really really good, and safe, for practicing sweeping, decreasing radius and other types of turns. I learned to hang way off the bike doing this before I ever took a class.

CAUTION: Don't sign up for other track days or schools in Ohio until you've taken the California Superbike school or FastTrax. Although Sportbike Tracktime is tons of fun and I sign up often, it is not structured for first timers. Neither are the NESBA track days. I tried both of those the first spring I owned my Busa and left frustrated.

http://www.vf750fd.com/blurbs/countercode.html     read this  
beerchug.gif
counter steering helped me so much.

all good advice.

But Track Days, and Track School is the best. there you can get tips, and practice and a (for the most part) controlled envoirment.

Lot of stuff here...after you w'll burn out about 20 tires you will find out...no rush...
Best regadrs to everyone

I found an industrial park with a circle in the center of it that is nice. I can hang off the bike and go roundy roundy with no one around on the weekends. Thats how I got rid of my left side chicken strips. It seems like every left turn I make here has to be a slow one due to onncoming traffic.

There is a nice decreasing radius turn when I leave work and I started slow with it then gradually increased my speed now I can hang off the bike a little but still have a ways to go before dragging a knee.

Now get that bike repaired and get on the road.
beerchug.gif

(BusaWhipped @ Jul. 29 2007,09:19) Read "Twist of the Wrist" and "Twist of the Wrist 2".  There are a few other books out there, but these are the ones that helped me the most.
+2

Take the MSF course if you haven't already. Take it! It gives you a rock solid foundation to build on before getting into all of the good advice you have received so far in this post. It's well worth the money.

30  years on the street here but felt I was not that great in the corners ..
About 5 years ago I decided to change that .. I read all the Code books and to tell you the truth I had a very hard time understanding him .. Started booking track days and after a few started hanging off the bike but it felt awkward ..
I was cornering harder and deeper than ever before so I was making progress .
Went back and  re- read the books again and it all started making sense  ..
Kept doing trackdays and even started  hanging off on the street . I needed the practice ,and it becomes like muscle memory. Suddenly one day it all came together. Like a light switched on  in my head.
Not bragging here but now I search out the curves and enjoy them,  I cant wait to be in the tight stuff  .. Im not Rossi or even close  but I get around them pretty good these days ..  Some people could probably pick it up much quicker but I had all those years of bad habits  to unlearn.
One thing they preach every time at the track is smoothness . Its really true. If you're smooth with all inputs throttle,brakes, body position and steering and picking your lines ,the speed and confidence WILL come .
The track is where its at!!! Just make the effort.

Go to the Busa Bash in April. The Dragon and other roads will make a rider out of anyone. After a few times down a 11 mile stretch and 318 turns you will learn.

I went into a corner to hot last summer and about **** myself.
Once I realized I was probably goin to fast I hit the front brake, At first I couldn't figure out why the bike wouldn't lean. After reading this post I see my theory was correct. Lucky enough there was enough room to slow down and still turn otherwise I would have hit a curb at 100 mph.

Read "Twist of the Wrist" and "Twist of the Wrist 2". There are a few other books out there, but these are the ones that helped me the most.
he's right these books and video are a good start....
save your money and go to a Super bike school.......the best investment you can make is the one you make in yourself (riding skills).
If you decide to do a super bike school there are ways to cut costs...
Take your bike and gear........
Camper.... many tracks have an RV park nearby or they have hookups on site. Or find someone to go and split the travel/motel cost.

If this is not an option....find someone who will guide you at the track.
The skills you learn on the track will transfer to the street and make riding safer and more enjoyable.....
The most important thing you will discover is pushing your skill levels is something best done a closed track where the surface conditions are known.
Surface conditions on public roads vary way too much... decreasing radius curves, sand, anti-freeze, oil, diesel, sofas, refrigerators, you name it someone will drop it on the road........ animals and cagers etc ...... oh I forgot one .....law enforcement... the best part of the riding on a track... no speed limit.....

7TRACK_sml.JPG

90% of mistakes are caused by people playing catch up !!!!!! Try getting out with experienced rider or riders that dont mind mentoring Ive only ridden 8 years and I still listen and ask questions to all my mates on how I ride. Be patient ( confidence grows with Knowledge )!!!!!!!!!!!!!

90% of mistakes are caused by people playing catch up !!!!!! Try getting out with experienced rider or riders that dont mind mentoring Ive only ridden 8 years and I still listen and ask questions to all my mates on how I ride. Be patient ( confidence grows with Knowledge )!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Wow, it amazes me that so many people with so little experience on sport bikes own Hayabusas. I have been riding sport bikes in the mountains of NC for over 15 years, spent four years as a Police Motorcycle Traffic Officer, have countless hours of training on motorcycles and have owned over 12 different sportbikes from Ducatis to the Jap bikes, and I have just now purchased my first Hayabusa (2008 Orange/Black). It blows my mind that someone does not understand or have the basic motorcycle survival skills required to safely operate one of these high performance machines yet a dealer will sell them the fastest production motorcycle on the planet. No wonder my insurance is so high. I highly advise reading every book you can get your hands on and practice, practice, practice. Any sportbike can be very unforgiving.

I think one of the biggest problems are unmature(young) people and tosterone owning busa's. Just because you own a Hayabusa, you dont always have to be in front of the Pac. So many people dont "RIDE THEIR RIDE" as stated previously playing catch up is dangerous. Ride at your level and the other riders will wait or slow down so you will not miss a turn. A Hayabusa is not a FIRST BIKE. Once you get the experience BURN IT UP,, but please get the experience first.
So be careful, and treat your life like you still want it.

Back