Fast corner - suspension

247bhp

Registered
I`ve upgraded from a GSXR1000K6 to a `08 Busa. Obviously the cornering on high speed will be different, but the Busa`s front start "swaying" when I`m deep in a corner. The question is (before I start adjusting); do I really need to stiffen the front suspension?

I do not know about stiffening the front suspension but the bike needs to travel in a fluid motion togethter take a look at the sag and rebound on both the front and rear and have them set to your weight.

Swaying in the corner? Now that's a new one on me. I thought I had seen about everything possible but I guess I never get to old to learn something new?

Will be interesting to see how this thread progresses?

Maybe you could discribe the symptoms with a bit more detail?

Welcome to the oRg. I am not sure what you are talking about. Please explain with further detail. The Busa should not feel day and night different, however, there will be some changes. The Busa will feel a bit heavier until you adjust your riding habits to get used to the new girl. As far as faster in a corner than the 1K, you should be about the same speed. What kind of tires did you have on your previous bike? How much do you weigh?

I`m not sure that I`m faster than the 1K. When I really push it in a corner, leaning over heavely, the front wheel slowly starts to give feedback that I`m gonna put my bike on its side. If I could explain; imagine sitting upright and your front wheel is moving up and down in its shock - now imagine do it while leaning over in a fast corner.
Maby I`m pushing a bit hard or might be too close to the edge, but I`m used to the tyres. Bridgstone BT015on now and on the K1 BT014. I weigh 110kg. The K1 did the same in beginning, but at the back and I stiffened up the suspension - problem solved, but I`m not sure if it will be the answer for the Busa?!

Tufbusa - You never felt the front wheel moving away from you in a fast corner?!
Push harder - its quit exhilarating...

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying, but I have never pushed my bike that hard that I know of. I can feel the bike plant as I enter the turn, press down on the inside peg and push out on the inside clip on, never once felt the bike push to the outside. If the rebound is what is causing you alarm, then a simple adjustment should fix the problem. I took your explanation to mean the tire was bouncing around. Not a good thing at any angle!

yeah I think you might need to adjust your preload a little but to be honest sounds like you might need to get off the bike a little more that might help as well on the swaying the busa is a little heavier than the 1k

I don't push corners on streets, but on the race track I DEFINITELY prefer tighter suspension for both front and back. Stock busa can be tightened quite a bit before needing to replace suspension parts. But, OF COURSE, new better springs and parts will work much, much better than stock

several things:

first, what's your weight?

2nd, are the forks sprung stock or did you respring, up or down according to weight?

3rd, sag settings, usually race setup is between 25-30 mm sag, front and rear, although the rear will be slightly stiffer. street sag should be 30 to 35 mm sag. Are you doing any track riding at all or is is mainly street with some canyons? If street+canyons, you'll need to set preload as a compromise between race sag and street sag, around 30 to 31 mm sag preload.

4th, you feel as if you're gonna crash when pushing? Does it feel like it's gonna tuck, front wants to turn to the stops towards the apex? need a little more details. what's your compression and rebound settings? too much rebound may have to forks compressed and not wanting to return to it's original stroke/travel, causing geometry differences such as reduced rake, giving quicker turn-in but instability mid-corner. If that's the case, take out rebound by a few clicks and see if that helps.

5th, geometry...how far up is the rear sitting up in relation to the front end? the rear should be higher for quicker turn in, but too high, will make the front wanna tuck as well.

Last edited:
Tufbusa - You never felt the front wheel moving away from you in a fast corner?!
Push harder - its quit exhilarating...

I'm still not sure exactly what your symptoms are? Are you referring to pushing the front? If so, that's a common charistic of any front tire. All it's telling you is "I've had enough". Most good performance tires including the BTO15 will allow the front to push once the limit of grip is reached.

My 08 worked flawlessly in stock form before I ever adjusted the suspension. It performs better after adjustments but in basic stock form I found the 08 busa's suspension to be quite friendly.

I know what you're talking bout...could be the tires, but I have Metzelers and when pitched hard at high speeds through long rollers I encounter the tracking issues....like's it's getting lofty between the front and the back. It does it on certain well-traveled expressway transitions where many cars have filled the rain grooves with rubber giving it a polished look at night.....my tracking is variable at best whereas on others, she tracks dead-stable....weird huh ????.....

Back