Lean Angle question

stkr00

Slower Traffic Keep Right ! ! &#
Donating Member
Registered
I did my first track day last Thursday, and now I'm wondering...

1.) How far will the busa lean?

2.) What scrapes the track first?

I had the busa leaned over through the carousel at Road America maintaining 90 mph. This turn takes about 15 seconds at that speed. I thought my knee would drag at any moment, but never quite got there. Nothin on the bike scraped either. It seemed like my head was gonna touch before my knee.

I had my azz hanging off the seat at least 1/2 way. Head and upper body to where I was looking to the outside of where the mirror should have been (removed). Thought I had my knee out.

Here's a pic of the rear tire, so I know I was over pretty far anyway. The second pic is of WWJD and I'm the bike ahead of him. The action pic was after lunch, and I was pushing harder as the day went on.

Any suggestions and/or tips? Thanks in advance
cool.gif

Earlier that day...me attempting to hang off (Slower/Different Turn)
laugh.gif

Clarification...

I'm 5'7", so it may be that the Busa is too wide for me to be able to hang off properly. If I'm wrong, then please let me know.
wink.gif

If you have stock pegs, the feelers on the pegs will touch first.

Looks like you guys had fun!!
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114567727 -->

my rear brake hits first.. hehe.. or it did till it ground about 1/2 inch off the bottom anyways.

with the buell peg mod.. and I like my brake pedel to where I can put my foot on top of it relaxed and not be using the brake..

Now I'm pretty sure either the fairing, or the micron can is gonna hit .. or i'm gonna crash.. one or the other. .. at the track of course.

Stkr.....

judging by the pic, it seems like you're already at a gracious lean angle...perhaps you may just need to lean off the bike further.

A good indicator of how far off you should be is your butt crack. Your crack should be at least on the edge of the seat, and you should have the balls of your feet on the pegs.

Support your weight with your thighs...your butt should not be planted on the seat but rather, it should be hovering about a good 1/2 inch off the seat. Keep your body aligned...judgin by the second pic, it appears that there's some mixed-up mojo goin on. Straighten up that left arm a lil bit and align your upper body a lil bit more with your lower back. Also judgin from the pic, she can take a little more lean...but just be cautious.

As for how far she can go, you've pretty much taken her down to the comfortable point (by the first pic)...IMHO, I don't think it's much further down (no more than 1/4 inch) before she gets squirrely and bad juju takes over. Subtract more from that angle if you're goin at a good rate of speed. Remember:

higher speed = lean, (but not as deep), more hang-off. You want to keep that contact patch at a maximum...not skimming on the edges. Just FWIW...
cool.gif

As for what's gonna scrape first, it'll be your pegs...not too much after that will be dependent upon which side you're leanin. Clutch side, I'd say that it would be the stator cover...(is that it?) Throttle side would be the plastics...as evidenced by WWJD's previous track session.

I know I was supposed to write more, but I seem to have lost my train of thought. Again, just MHO FWIW.
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

cool.gif

Clarification...

I'm 5'7", so it may be that the Busa is too wide for me to be able to hang off properly.  If I'm wrong, then please let me know.
wink.gif
You might could use some rear sets that bring the pegs higher up . Reason being is that it looks like you are close to needing to hang off a little more as previously posted but if your feet cannot reach the pegs when doing it , thats flat no good .

Did I win anything?
biggrin.gif
Yes, you win!
beerchug.gif

You win a big <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Thank You !</span>. Thanks for your input PAC. I'll be working on it next time I go to the track. I might work on it prior to that, but I think people will think I'm nuts hanging off in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
laugh.gif

Thanks to the rest of you also. I'm like a sponge right now. Just trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can get without paying for a track school. If I win the lottery, then I'll have a private Busa Track School with one of the bigger schools, and a few of my Busa brothers and sisters.
cool.gif

Going from the bottom picture... your hips are out about where they should be but it looks like your shoulders are about where they would be for normal riding. Get your whole body out there

Did I win anything?
biggrin.gif
Yes, you win!
beerchug.gif

You win a big <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Thank You !</span>.  Thanks for your input PAC.  I'll be working on it next time I go to the track.  I might work on it prior to that, but I think people will think I'm nuts hanging off in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
laugh.gif
Screw 'em, ST....
laugh.gif

I absolutely LOVED practicing hanging off in the parkin lot. I'm sure that people were wondering what the heck I was doing, but I really didn't pay attention to 'em. All I know is that it was a whole shid-load of fun....and it also helped me to get more comfortable.

Glad I could help out, bro....ride safe and have fun!
beerchug.gif
cool.gif

laugh.gif

beerchug.gif

Stkr.....

judging by the pic, it seems like you're already at a gracious lean angle...perhaps you may just need to lean off the bike further.

A good indicator of how far off you should be is your butt crack. Your crack should be at least on the edge of the seat, and you should have the balls of your feet on the pegs.

Support your weight with your thighs...your butt should not be planted on the seat but rather, it should be hovering about a good 1/2 inch off the seat. Keep your body aligned...judgin by the second pic, it appears that there's some mixed-up mojo goin on. Straighten up that left arm a lil bit and align your upper body a lil bit more with your lower back. Also judgin from the pic, she can take a little more lean...but just be cautious.

As for how far she can go, you've pretty much taken her down to the comfortable point (by the first pic)...IMHO, I don't think it's much further down (no more than 1/4 inch) before she gets squirrely and bad juju takes over. Subtract more from that angle if you're goin at a good rate of speed. Remember:

higher speed = lean, (but not as deep), more hang-off. You want to keep that contact patch at a maximum...not skimming on the edges. Just FWIW...
cool.gif

As for what's gonna scrape first, it'll be your pegs...not too much after that will be dependent upon which side you're leanin. Clutch side, I'd say that it would be the stator cover...(is that it?) Throttle side would be the plastics...as evidenced by WWJD's previous track session.

I know I was supposed to write more, but I seem to have lost my train of thought. Again, just MHO FWIW.
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
Keep in mind that you are taking advice from a guy who even crashes in his DREAMS!!!!!
Just funnin ya O Great Shaven One
tounge.gif

cool.gif

From what I can tell you need to align your head more with your butt. You are keeping your head in the middle of the bike while you are hanging off with your butt. Try to emulate WWJD body position more. Looks like you are having fun. You are doing great though. Don't push beyond your skill level too much. I would hate to hear you had a get off. Thanks for the pics.

Good info, I'm still skeered to really hang off and drag things. I drug a peg feeler once and it made me pucker up like eating a lemon.

Good info, I'm still skeered to really hang off and drag things. I drug a peg feeler once and it made me pucker up like eating a lemon.
Just a little bit 'o time, BP....you'll be alright.

When you get around to it, you're gonna be suprised at how comfortable she is leanin low....it's almost as if she's sayin "it's about damned time!"

It'll be a blast, bro...just take your time.
cool.gif

I think I just need to do a track day or something to get a better feel for it in a more controlled environment. Thanks

Thanks for the insight/pointers
beerchug.gif

I'll be working at it on my next track day.
cool.gif

Back