Any Retrofit Information?

HOLY CRAP! That's crazy. From what I remember there isn't a huge difference, least not IMO. From what I remember, it was a personal preference between the mini D2S and the mini H1's. The FX-R's are better than either mini, but the mini H1's will make the retrofit a simple process since they screw into the H7 socket on the reflector.

I just re-read your previous post. I should clarify I'm only going with 1 projector and in the low beam. Since the low beam reflector has more area, what's the chance 3" may fit?

It may fit. The problem with the 3" was with the lower projector. The solenoid would hit the bottom of the housing.

I keep going back and forth with the specs of the 3. The main difference is the 2.5" FX-R is 5mm shorter than the mini D2S, the 3" FX-R is 10mm longer than the mini H1.

Is the FX-R low beam projector lens all that close to your headlight lens? It doesn't appear like it in the pictures and that's the only issue I can see having, but wouldn't know for sure until I actually open the housing.

Capture.JPG

I took the projector out and eyeballed it against the stock headlight. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to fit it with no issues, but won't be able to be for sure until I pull the fairings and nose off so I can remove the light. Shouldn't be an issue other than having to trim the stock reflector out to fit the bigger socket (H7 cut to H4). TRS also has 60 day return policy so just need to do it sooner than later.

Ended up changing my mind, haha. This retrofit was way more work than I expected and a ton of test fitting. I should have gone with the (basically) plug and play mini H1, but I wanted a 3" lens and a challenge so did the mini D2S, lol. This was just a final test fit. Painted/cleared the OEM chrome & shroud last night.

IMG_20160219_172138.jpg

IMG_20160219_170409.jpg

Thanks, it was definitely a challenge to fit it in there and have clearance for the lens. I have high expectations, I just put some Hella 60mm sealed projectors on the Trans Am and even though they look goofy, it's blew me away with how much light there is. I thought the 2013+ OEM projectors with clear lenses were fantastic, these cheap Hella's put them to shame and they're a low budget projector.

Can't wait to get it back together and align it and most importantly ride at night.

Back