Any Retrofit Information?

InfiniteReality

Registered
This winter I plan to tackle this mod. I've opened my Gen1 headlight before and it was a piece of cake to open so I'm not too concerned. My original plan was to just retrofit a projector in place of the low beam, but more I think about it while I'm in there I may consider doing the high beam as well though the way I have my hi/low wired now it'd defeat the purpose. I'll have to think about wiring options for the best solution. The more I research, I realize there's really not much information to go on for quality projectors.

Low: Morimoto Mini H1

High: Maxima

Does anyone know what projectors will for sure fit? I'd like bi-xenon for both, but I'll take what I can get. Also if anyone has dimensions of stock reflector or projector would be a great help.

Thanks!

As far as wiring goes, I run two relays and power my ballast from my battery. That way your low beams wire does not have much draw on it. Wire both high beam solenoids together and power them from your high beam switch.

Not sure what projectors fit inside the gen 1 housing but "The Retrofit Source" is a great place to get info and order parts.

Oh yeah, I already have my nose completely re-wired and did that when I was building it for the same reasons. I have a couple of relays installed so I could wire my lights independently of each other. Basically my high beam switch is my light switch....my high beam (3000K LED)is on by itself and then when I flip the switch on high beam goes off and my low beam (4300K HID) comes on.

I also re-wired my tail as well as swap the sockets for 1157's so I could have 3 running and brake lights. Also installed a module that would flash brakes 3 times and stay on when braking for safety. Below is a picture with the old tail light.

TRS is definitely where I plan to order my stuff from, great people to deal with. Just trying to figure out what I can actually fit inside the housing without taking it apart first. I shot them an email with hopes they may can look at previous orders and give me some info.

SNC19203.jpg

SNC18148.jpg

Two 2.5" FX-R is what I have in mine . That is definitely the biggest projectors that will fit. There is no extra room but they're in there.

No. The price for having it done professionally was cheaper than replacing the headlight if I messed it up, so I went that route. :laugh:

That shroud was the exact one I was wanting as well. Just matches the high beam shroud of the busa headlight perfectly. The inside looks like it was painted black... Happen to know if it's satin or black? With my bike being charcoal/silver, black may stand out too much. I already had my headlight professionally tinted (light smoke) the same shade to match my signals, so I was thinking of basically tinting the chrome interior of the housing.

Any chance you would mind sharing more pictures??? I'd also like to know who did yours. I originally priced a used one to retrofit, but like you said they aren't cheap!

I had a few emails back and forth with TRS. Sounds like the mini H1's will be the way I'm going to go. They will work nicely and after a quick measurement they will match the stock high beam projector size. They also will easily fit and I'll be able to keep the stock adjustment screws. It's a couple months away from doing it, but will be done! I can't wait.

I wanted some halo's, but I can't see adding an extra switch for them and knowing they likely won't get used much, if at all...

That shroud was the exact one I was wanting as well. Just matches the high beam shroud of the busa headlight perfectly. The inside looks like it was painted black... Happen to know if it's satin or black? With my bike being charcoal/silver, black may stand out too much. I already had my headlight professionally tinted (light smoke) the same shade to match my signals, so I was thinking of basically tinting the chrome interior of the housing.

Any chance you would mind sharing more pictures??? I'd also like to know who did yours. I originally priced a used one to retrofit, but like you said they aren't cheap!

The color is a flat black. I still have my factory adjustment as well. Is there a particular picture that you would like to see?

Any chance for some from a distance with the whole bike please? Trying to get a feel for if I should go black since my headlight is already light smoke or maybe just smoke the chrome. Also just curious how it looks as well!

Thanks!

The only ones I have in my phone. Sorry I can not get either picture to rotate correctly, but hopefully it will still give you an idea.

20150512_154115-1.jpg

20150325_181916.jpg

Oh yeah, just what I was wanting (minus the sideways, haha, jk). I can't wait for this to happen, wish winter would hurry up and get here!! I actually may order the kit next week, so when I know I can't ride to work due to rain (like most of this coming week) I can take the bike apart and retrofit the light. :)

Figured I'd share an update. Finally have the parts for the retrofit. TRS ended up removing the miniH1 option for the "kit" from their site, so when it was ordered I didn't even think about it and ordered the mini D2S. It's the bigger 3" lense though.

@nosbig Do you know which FX-R project you used for yours? They have a 2.5" and 3" options, if it's the bigger one I'd feel more confident this miniD2S will fit, even tho I'd have to do some trimming on my reflector. I can always send back to swap it out, but if it'll fit it's a higher quality projector with a better light pattern. Any info is appreciated!

I don't know what the pattern of the mini h1 is like, but I am very happy with the fx-r. It has great distance and lights the sides of the road as well. Deer here are terrible and ditch lines are more important to me than distance.

I have hit 12 deer in 26 months. 10 with my truck and two on busas.

Back