Another WEAR YOUR DAMNED GEAR thread...

BT - you and anyone else that is trying to go through a transformation such as losing a lot of weight I agree is an exception.

And yes, I agree it would not make any sense to go out and buy a brand new set of leathers every few months. But how is this for an idea.

My first set of leathers that I ever bought I had tailored for me. This was like back in 1983. The pants that I bought I wanted to fit tight, I always kind of had this idea that the tighter the fit, the better chance you might have of limiting compound fractures.

Anyway, how is this for an idea, look around and see if you can find someone that can and is willing to tailor leathers.

A jacket is nto going to change a whole lot, regardless of how much weight you lose, if you are losing weight through exercise and lifting weights, your chest size is probably not going to get much smaller, you waste will get much smaller, but that wont prevent you from wearing a good jacket.

What that leaves is pants. if you can find a decent pair of leather pants, and maybe have them tailored every few months, you might be able to get off with buying a pair of pants now and a jacket, then every few months, plopping down maybe $40.00 to have the pants tailored smaller.

Then once you reach your ideal weight, get the one piece suit you want, and after you get that, sell the jacket and pants you had been wearing.

Keep in mind BT, losing weight and getting into shape is a life style change, it is NOT something you want to happen right away.

Not only can a huge change over a short period of time be a shock to your system, the faster you lose weight, the more chance you have of having baggy skin. You need to drink lots of water to keep the skin properly hydrated so it will shrink properly over time.

Ok, here are some leathers I just checked out for you. I am not sure of your size, or I would be more precise in my looking for you..

Here is a jacket that is normally $259.00 on close out sale for $119.00 the sizes they have in stock however are 40 and 48
http://www.newenough.com/teknic_thunder_jacket_page.htm

Here are some first gear pants, size ranges from 32 up to 40.
Normally $324.00 on sale for $159.00
http://www.newenough.com/firstgear_flightline_pants_page.htm

Anyway, these are just examples of this one web site and what they offer. I am assuming that you might be larger than a 40 waist at the moment.

If you can find someone locally that will tailor pants for you at a reasonable cost, this will also help you in maybe purchasing a used set of leathers. As long as you can find a pair that fit now or are larger, you can get them tailored down.

BT - As I said, someone as yourself who is trying to lose weight is an exception, because no one wants to throw money away and I understand that. Hopefully maybe the option I mentioned might be something that could work out for you.

If you are going to look, start with your local tailoring shops. The person that did it for me was a small business owner, they were not a large business. But they had the right machine, it just requires a heavy duty sewing machine with a heavy duty needle, aside form that, tailoring leather pants down is no different that tailoring regular pants, they measure you, remove the seam from the leathers, cut them and sew them back smaller.

If you give me you size and want to go that route, I will even keep my eye open in my area for good deals on leathers. Used, local stores etc.

Let me know if I can help dude!! And keep up the good work on losing the weight!!
Good suggestion, Thrasher. I have considered that, but the thought that keeps poppin' into my head is gettin' that done and then in the event of a crash, poor sewing or improper thread turns loose/rips and I'm still fugged.

I'm going to go back to a local race shop ( 1888fastlap.com Website is Gone ) and try on jackets again soon (maybe this afternoon or tomorrow in fact). Last time I went was before I started my body transformation and the biggest jackets they had in stock just wouldn't quite reach to zip. As ya'll saw in the pic I posted in my latest progress thread, I've lost several inches in the gut/waist area. If I can fit into some of the bigger jackets, it's really gonna be hard to talk myself out of at least havin' a leather jacket for now. Then, if I could find a tailor that I trusted, maybe I could use it like you said until I get where I want to be and am ready to go full one piece leathers.

I guess if I couldn't find a tailor that I trusted locally, I could prolly send it off to one of the custom leather makers (Z Custom Leathers or someone similar) and get it done. I'd just have to make sure I measured right before givin' them the tailoring instructions.

Damn you Thrasher! I was all set to not spend any more gear money for a while. I had convinced myself that I would do as outlined in my previous post. Now you've got me wantin' to refinance the house, or sell a kidney, or whatever to get a jacket!
biggrin.gif

If I find a size that fits I'll comb the online shops and prolly ebay to see if I can find a workable deal. I'll let you know, too, so you can keep an eye out. Thanks, bro...
beerchug.gif

Damn you Thrasher! I was all set to not spend any more gear money for a while. I had convinced myself that I would do as outlined in my previous post. Now you've got me wantin' to refinance the house, or sell a kidney, or whatever to get a jacket!
biggrin.gif
Just lookin out for ya bro  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1087235334 -->

biggrin.gif

I should post a pic of me with my armor on. The wife told me I should when I had recieved my pants in... Just so everyone knows I am not talking smack lol

Just missing my gauntlets, then I will be good to go...

I should post a pic of me with my armor on. The wife told me I should when I had recieved my pants in... Just so everyone knows I am not talking smack lol

Just missing my gauntlets, then I will be good to go...
Yep, get the pics up. You know you can't mention pics around here without postin' 'em up!
biggrin.gif

Speakin' of pics, I snuck Da' Train out today. That sunshine was beautiful after the rainy day I had at work yesterday! The humidity is about 1000% today though. You sweat yer azz off standin' around. Get busy and you just pour salty water.
drooling3.gif

train_01.jpg

That sux!  Atleast he did live through it, though I'm not sure how he will feel about eating venison any more?
Hehehehe... He was quoted by one of his buddies as sayin' that when he heals, he's buyin' a gun and shootin' every f**king deer he can find!
biggrin.gif

The guy that lived nearby and took the deer is prolly sittin' on the front porch this mornin' waitin' for someone to hit another one. His taste for venison is still goin' strong!
laugh.gif
forget shooting i would have stumbled over to the ditch where the dear was and pulled a Hanniabl Lector till so animal rights activist tried to pull me off then i would have eaten his/her ass too.

<!--EDIT|him
Reason for Edit: None given...|1087251064 -->

Back