Another WEAR YOUR DAMNED GEAR thread...

Working and living in Sarajevo, Bosnia, I get to see a lot of ridiculous activities and levels of dress on motorcycles. There are no laws here dictating protective gear requirements. You see jackasses cruising downtown with their helmets off their heads and on their forearms. They are out to be seen at any cost. Yesterday while attending a motorcycle rally/gathering near the Croatian Coast I was witness to a number of such examples. Guy on R6 with buddy on back wearing shorts and wife beater, driver wearing jeans and t-shirt, no helmets, gloves or boots. Good time to show off to my group of newfound motorcyclist friends lining the right side of the street with our six bikes. Hey let's do a few wheelies and show em what where made of... If you are going to do that do it on your own without risking your passenger's skin and wear your gear. The weather was hot for the two days I spent there. However I hold to my MSF training and wear my Two piece Corona Suzuki suit with custom pants to match the top. It's about 90degrees all day from 1100 til 1900. There all salt stains on my underclothes but I only take the stuff off to take a dip in the Mediterranean Sea. Wish you could be there. Pics to come.
Sounds about like here. After the accident yesterday I made it a point to note what all the riders I saw for the rest of the day were wearin'. Couldn't always tell about shoes/boots, but out of all the bikes I saw out yesterday (a fuggin' BUNCH of 'em) the most protective pants I saw were jeans. Most riders only had on shorts though. Didn't see as much as a long sleeve t-shirt on an upper body. More tank tops and half shirts (on the female passengers) than anything else. One guy on a sport bike had on denim shorts and no shirt, with sneakers. At least everyone had on a lid...

We need to make billboards with photos of these crash victims and their injuries. Prolly wouldn't do any good though...

Payer for the guy on the way and I also wear my gear all the time. It saved my A$$ last December when I had my low side. Not one bit of road rash, just a broken collar bone. Here are some pics of the gear that saved my A$$
smile.gif
Glad you had the stuff on, bro.
beerchug.gif

I don't know about the steel. If it got caught some way, would it be the type of thing to stab into your back severing your spine? They make armor for jackets, just check around.
Even better than my kevlar/aluminum suggestion. They even make back protectors that you wear under your jacket.

I don't know about the steel. If it got caught some way, would it be the type of thing to stab into your back severing your spine? They make armor for jackets, just check around.
Even better than my kevlar/aluminum suggestion. They even make back protectors that you wear under your jacket.
BT -

Actually I am planning on getting a back / spine protector to wear under my jacket in addition to any mods I do to my jacket.

I just want as much protection as possible, just figure if I can improve on the protection that is built in to the jacket AND wear a spine protector, it is all added bonus points.

I have always been paranoid and careful and cautious as is, and I dont think I will ever be "afraid" or too "paranoid" to ride, but hearing about all the accidents latley, and seeing photo's and such just make me want to be as prepaired as possible in the event that I do go down.

Thanks for the input, as I said I am trying to theorize in my head what scenarios could happen that would make the steel a bad idea.

BT -

Actually I am planning on getting a back / spine protector to wear under my jacket in addition to any mods I do to my jacket.

I just want as much protection as possible, just figure if I can improve on the protection that is built in to the jacket AND wear a spine protector, it is all added bonus points.

I have always been paranoid and careful and cautious as is, and I dont think I will ever be "afraid" or too "paranoid" to ride, but hearing about all the accidents latley, and seeing photo's and such just make me want to be as prepaired as possible in the event that I do go down.

Thanks for the input, as I said I am trying to theorize in my head what scenarios could happen that would make the steel a bad idea.
Ok, here's a scenario for ya. While tumblin' in a crash situation you hit just right and the end of the non flexing steel plate acts like a fulcrum and snaps your spine, or drives into it as mentioned before by someone else. You're riskin' pittin' a finitely flexible object (your spine... only goes so far without snappin') against a non flexin' fulcrum. If you use thinner aluminum, or better yet Kevlar you increase the chances that the fulcrum gives instead of the lever (your spine) bein' what has to give if the circumstances dictate one or the other havin' to give. At the same time you should still reap some grind through resistance and trauma spreading benefits. That make sense?

Another thing to consider is lower back stress carryin' around a few extra pounds of steel on your back for any length of time. I'm sure that you, and anyone else that's been in the military, LE, etc already know what I'm about to tell ya, but it doesn't take much additional, unnaturally mounted (as in part of your body) weght above the waist to put quite a stress on the lower back. My duty belt weighs 14 pounds and puts a fair amount of stress on my lower back even though it's waist mounted. I can't imagine carryin' it across the back of my shouders all day, especially in ridin' position and while workin' with the bike and leanin' and such!
drooling3.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1087134820 -->

I don't think steel is a good option.. armor should be light and slightly flexible.. like carbon-kevlar..
Steel won't absorb kinetic energy - it transfers all that directly to your body. Carbon-kevlar will absorb kinetic energy, so you'll take less damage..

si.

Yeh when I got hit I got my friggin shoes knocked of too.
Now I dress like a batalstar galtica alien freak and dont give a crap what anybody thinks when you get hit the first time and live to tell about it you realize how precious life is and how a little bit of gear can save you from death and or horrible scarring, wheelchairs or the like.

Yeh when I got hit I got my friggin shoes knocked of too.
Now I dress like a batalstar galtica alien freak and dont give a crap what anybody thinks when you get hit the first time and live to tell about it you realize how precious life is and how a little bit of gear can save you from death and or horrible scarring, wheelchairs or the like.
Yeah, to quote the real Forest, "Stupid is as stupid does...". Saw more bikes out today before the rain. Out of all the MANY bikes I saw this weekend on the road, ONE guy on a sport bike had on a jacket and what looked like decent boots. The rest ranged from no shirt to short sleeve T's and from shorts to jeans. Sometimes I just wanna just stop 'em and show 'em the pics like the ones I took of the R6 and describe the rider's injuries to them.
drooling3.gif

BTW, I saw a pretty nasty cage wreck today, too. Knew the girl in the Xterra. She was lucky. Came out MUCH better than the R6 rider. She did have a hurt ankle, but that was pretty much it. It was a head on hit. The Ranger hydroplaned and crossed into her lane. A pic...

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1087185831 -->

crash_01.jpg

By the way, looked like the Xterra performed well in a head on collision. As you can see, the Ranger buckled the roof. The Xterra's front end crushed as designed and kept the passenger compartment in muhc better shape than the Ranger's. I was impressed with how the Xterra handled this crash. Looks to be a well designed cage.

Thats nasty, I guess that little ford P.U. is pretty tough when you Look at that compared to the suv.
Actually, the Ranger was sort of anglin' across the road and caught a glancin' blow. The Xterra took a much more solid hit and still kept the roof/passenger compartment intact for the most part, as opposed to how the Ranger's roof buckled pretty bad.

Yeah, When I was younger, and my first bike I might add that I had for 3 months. I hit a school bus at 75mph.

Lived to tell about it. but I tore the top of my left boot off, had a nylon jacket that didn't do any good, had the skin removed from both forearms.. I became a believer of riding gear at an early age and it was a cheap lesson. 1 week in the hospital, a few cracked ribs, some internal bleeding due to a bruised spleen... But nothing serious.

I am thankful for my cheap learning experience, it made me into a total advocate for proper riding gear

I have had a few minor spills over the course of my life after that, and none of them did any physical damage to my body, including one spill where I leaned over to far in a turn and the bike fell over on my leg and the bikes weight slid on my leg over the asphalt. I however was wearing hightop motocross boots that almost went to the knee, the only thing that happened was the buckles were ground off the boot, that was it. no damage to my legs at all, no damage to my ankle, nothing, just a damaged boot. Which I still wore for years afterwards, just fixed the buckles.

I am pretty confident if I were wearing anything else such as running shoes, hiking boots, whatever, my leg would have been torn up pretty bad and possibly would have screwed up my ankle….

Wear the gear folks…. If you got it.. wear it.. if you don’t have it.. get it.. think of it as the best form of medical insurance you can buy. Think of it as just a necessary part of the bike. Would you go riding without a gas tank?

Lots of people say they don’t have the money for good riding gear.. I say you just don’t have your priorities straight… start collecting riding gear. Start with pants, then a jacket, boots whatever, just start, and place it as a high priority in your life. If you have the ability to take out a loan for a complete set of gear, do it. I myself am trying to get out of debt. I hate debt, I hate loans. But I feel that strongly about riding gear.. do whatever it takes to make sure you have the right gear…Even if you have to take a loan out for it. Most of us either took out a loan to get out bikes… if we didn’t take out a loan then we paid cash.

If you took out a loan for the bike, you can get a loan for the gear.
If you paid cash and don’t have a bike payment, you probably have the money to buy your gear cash.
If you paid cash for a bike, but don’t have the money to pay cash for gear, you don’t have a bike payment so you should be able to get a loan for the riding gear, even if you have to use your bike for collateral

A couple more pics to show the difference...

First the Xterra. Besides the windshield and the airbags, you can't hardly tell from the inside that it's been hit that hard. Good news for occupants.
wink.gif

crash_03.jpg

Now the Ranger. The roof and the floor buckled. See how the seat is layed out toward the outside of the truck instead of sittin' straight like it should? That's because the floor was buckled and had the seat pushed over like that.

And yes, the passenger in that seat was injured the worst out of all five people involved in this crash. Head/Eye injuries, chest injuries, leg injuries, etc. The dash came back on him and messed him up...
rock.gif

crash_04.jpg

Lots of people say they don’t have the money for good riding gear.. I say you just don’t have your priorities straight…
Well, ok, you're right. I guess I could find leathers that fit, or I could have some made. Then as I lose my weight/fat and it gets too baggy to wear I'd have to buy more, and more until I get where I wanna be. Yeah, I could get a set of gear now, but I can't get another set every 3-4 months as needed for the next year. I'm not going to take that kind of financial loss in it. I'll stick with my FirstGear mesh jacket, ICON and SIDI boots, and Teknic full gauntlet gloves for now. I'll replace the jacket with a decent mesh/textile option as I shrink out of it.

The great thing is that when I mentioned to my Dad that one of my fitness/health goals was to get to my ideal fit weight and size so I could buy and wear a set of full leathers when I ride, the first thing out of his mouth was, "When you get where you want to be, I'll buy you whatever kind of leathers you want. I want to help you but I don't know how. I can give you an incentive like the leathers you want though.". Ummm, woooooohooooo!
biggrin.gif

So, other than pants, I'm usin' "gear", I'm just not in the best gear, and not exactly full gear. God willing, I promise you that next ridin' season I will have reached my goal and I will be postin' pics of me in my brand spankin' new leathers. Once I get 'em I ain't ridin' without 'em. Until then I'll do a little compromisin' and accept a little risk. I'll also try and ride like I've got sense and try to minimize the chances that I test what gear I've got.
wink.gif

Thrasher,

good idea bout the protection but nix on the steel plate however...

If we could rig up a thinner set of plates, hinged together like a metal watch band?

Remember, you heard it here first.  Anyone out there builds one of these & I'll split the patent $ with ya!

Oh and don't forget the dense foam padding on the inside.

<!--EDIT|Mikey D
Reason for Edit: "Cause I forgot the padding!"|1087188272 -->

Both look pretty bad! Just way too many unpredictable, unfortunate things that can happen when ridin' the bike that would otherwise be less critical when driving the cage! I will have a full set of leathers when I get back and as painful as it may be to put it on I will do it each and every time even only going to the convenience store down the street!

Lots of people say they don’t have the money for good riding gear.. I say you just don’t have your priorities straight…
Well, ok, you're right. I guess I could find leathers that fit, or I could have some made. Then as I lose my weight/fat and it gets too baggy to wear I'd have to buy more, and more until I get where I wanna be. Yeah, I could get a set of gear now, but I can't get another set every 3-4 months as needed for the next year. I'm not going to take that kind of financial loss in it. I'll stick with my FirstGear mesh jacket, ICON and SIDI boots, and Teknic full gauntlet gloves for now. I'll replace the jacket with a decent mesh/textile option as I shrink out of it.

The great thing is that when I mentioned to my Dad that one of my fitness/health goals was to get to my ideal fit weight and size so I could buy and wear a set of full leathers when I ride, the first thing out of his mouth was, "When you get where you want to be, I'll buy you whatever kind of leathers you want. I want to help you but I don't know how. I can give you an incentive like the leathers you want though.". Ummm, woooooohooooo!
biggrin.gif

So, other than pants, I'm usin' "gear", I'm just not in the best gear, and not exactly full gear. God willing, I promise you that next ridin' season I will have reached my goal and I will be postin' pics of me in my brand spankin' new leathers. Once I get 'em I ain't ridin' without 'em. Until then I'll do a little compromisin' and accept a little risk. I'll also try and ride like I've got sense and try to minimize the chances that I test what gear I've got.
wink.gif
BT - you and anyone else that is trying to go through a transformation such as losing a lot of weight I agree is an exception.

And yes, I agree it would not make any sense to go out and buy a brand new set of leathers every few months. But how is this for an idea.

My first set of leathers that I ever bought I had tailored for me. This was like back in 1983. The pants that I bought I wanted to fit tight, I always kind of had this idea that the tighter the fit, the better chance you might have of limiting compound fractures.

Anyway, how is this for an idea, look around and see if you can find someone that can and is willing to tailor leathers.

A jacket is nto going to change a whole lot, regardless of how much weight you lose, if you are losing weight through exercise and lifting weights, your chest size is probably not going to get much smaller, you waste will get much smaller, but that wont prevent you from wearing a good jacket.

What that leaves is pants. if you can find a decent pair of leather pants, and maybe have them tailored every few months, you might be able to get off with buying a pair of pants now and a jacket, then every few months, plopping down maybe $40.00 to have the pants tailored smaller.

Then once you reach your ideal weight, get the one piece suit you want, and after you get that, sell the jacket and pants you had been wearing.

Keep in mind BT, losing weight and getting into shape is a life style change, it is NOT something you want to happen right away.

Not only can a huge change over a short period of time be a shock to your system, the faster you lose weight, the more chance you have of having baggy skin. You need to drink lots of water to keep the skin properly hydrated so it will shrink properly over time.

Ok, here are some leathers I just checked out for you. I am not sure of your size, or I would be more precise in my looking for you..

Here is a jacket that is normally $259.00 on close out sale for $119.00 the sizes they have in stock however are 40 and 48
http://www.newenough.com/teknic_thunder_jacket_page.htm

Here are some first gear pants, size ranges from 32 up to 40.
Normally $324.00 on sale for $159.00
http://www.newenough.com/firstgear_flightline_pants_page.htm

Anyway, these are just examples of this one web site and what they offer. I am assuming that you might be larger than a 40 waist at the moment.

If you can find someone locally that will tailor pants for you at a reasonable cost, this will also help you in maybe purchasing a used set of leathers. As long as you can find a pair that fit now or are larger, you can get them tailored down.

BT - As I said, someone as yourself who is trying to lose weight is an exception, because no one wants to throw money away and I understand that. Hopefully maybe the option I mentioned might be something that could work out for you.

If you are going to look, start with your local tailoring shops. The person that did it for me was a small business owner, they were not a large business. But they had the right machine, it just requires a heavy duty sewing machine with a heavy duty needle, aside form that, tailoring leather pants down is no different that tailoring regular pants, they measure you, remove the seam from the leathers, cut them and sew them back smaller.

If you give me you size and want to go that route, I will even keep my eye open in my area for good deals on leathers. Used, local stores etc.

Let me know if I can help dude!! And keep up the good work on losing the weight!!

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1087204975 -->

Back