Another rider goes down, but NOT out!

Bigfisch

Registered
Yesterday started out just beautiful up here in Bakersfield. My 0115 (1:15 AM for you non-military folks) wake up call came. I got all suited up (there are the KEY WORDS) and ready for the EPIC ride for Scars birthday down in San Diego.

I rode out of here on HWY 58 through Tehapchi (a couple of higher speed wide open turns here, but very cold), on the 14 through Mojave (very boring, but warmer) on to the 138 to meet up with Bubba, MikeU and klatu848. Very nice to see a familiar face at 0445 and new ones. We dropped our buckets back on and headed down the slab on I-15 to meet up with the rest of group.

We made it to Scars engine room, only to notice that we were late (darn fog!) so we high tailed it over to Denny's' for some eats. There we met up with the man of the hour and the rest of the hoons who made it in for the ride. A couple of folks were only there for the eat and meet and were not able to make the actual ride with us.

So breakfast is done, we head up to Starbucks for our final meeting place to gather riders. Met another Busa rider and his wife who were 2UP with another group that morning. It was really cool! With the word, we all geared up and headed out for the ride. It was a beautiful sight to see all the machines of different sizes and makes out for ride together.

We all hit the slab and make it to Gopher canyon, there we split into two groups. All is beautiful at this point. Gopher Canyon and Lilac were the driest and cleanest that I have seen in a very long time! Very nice to be able to ride through there at speed without worries of foreign objects on the road. Then we started Sage (I think the actual spelling here is incorrect) road on our way to gas up on the 79 in Temecula. I was in the second group in the #2 slot behind Scar. All is going well till I miss judged a nice left handed turn.

Going into the turn I was scrubbing off speed with both brakes (going about 35-40 MPH). I tapped the back brake (ducking and hiding from Lamb), heard the read tire skid and then went off roading. I thought I would be able to save it in the soft gravel, until the front tire hit berm of dirt. Imelda and I went airborne. Scar said that he saw me in the air away from my bike.

This is what I remember. I closed my eyes and went limp after the dirt riding didnt pay off. Quick tire chirp, tires in dirt, Derrick flying off Imelda, someone on the chatterbox saying rider down, rider down, landing hard on my back, something VERY hard hitting my ankle, seeing Imelda doing a barrel roll and her and I coming to rest about 30+ feet from where we parted the road.

When I realized that I stopped moving, I rolled onto my back with a little effort and opened my visor so someone could see that I was awake. I don't remember who it was that showed up first, but it was honestly (in my mind) about 10-15 seconds till I had someone asking me if I was ok. Time of accident about 1140.

Here is where I have to give HUGE PROPS to all who offered and helped out. Our 2 new riders to the group that day Mike and Ken, Bubba who even offered to ride HOME with me back to Bakersfield, Lamb for getting my bike back to FBC for help Scar to helping me up taking Imelda for a test ride. There are more to mention but I cant remember all the names right now. You know who you are! I know you by face and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

Imelda suffered minor damage. Some scratched plastic on the left side. Broken mirrors and on the right side broken plastics. There is a beautiful dent on the right side of the tank. Bubba took pics for me, so I will be waiting for those.

I have 2 bruised ribs (on the left side), a bruised kidney and a broken right ankle. We got Imelda to Fun Bike Center about 2 something and my wife came to pick me up and take me to Bakersfield. I got to the ER about 2000 (8 PM) and left about 0230 this morning. I clocked into work at 0250 and stayed till 0630. I am the boss and had to take care of things this morning.

I am at home now, resting.

My moral is (someone correct me please) ATGATT! The ER doc who saw me about 8 1/2 hours after it happened said that had I not been wearing my boots and leathers it would have been much worse. She even looked at the jacket, pants and boots to see if she could tell what else could have gone wrong. So gear, gear, gear. I will be buying a new bucket after this downing. No visible damage, but I am just not sure and will not risk it!

The group of SOCAL riders are the best bunch of guys that a rider could ask for. There with you from start to finish! The good and the bad! It is such a wonderful feeling to know that so many care, even if you rarely see then! Thank you all so very much!!!

Sorry hear about your injury,s but glad wasnt worse.
I GUESS YOUR RIGHT YOUR GEAR IS BEST FRIEND WHEN ON BIKE.
Hope your ankle heals up quick.

It's always great to have good people with you when go down! Glad to hear you aren't doing any worse. Rest up.

If it had to happen, it happened with a solid group of friends to take care of you! Glad your OK...

Glad you made it through. Take time to recover. Don't try to be too manly or tough or you'll regret it later. Take care.

Sorry to hear about your get off. Glad you had your gear on and were with good people. Glad to hear Imelda can be repaired. Take care and get well soon.

Sorry to hear about the accident, glad you are okay.

Glad to hear that you were wearing your gear and the injuries were not worse.

Get well soon brother :beerchug:

BigFisch........I am recovering very well. IF YOU NEED ANYTHING, PM me. I have a big dually, to haul your bike around, if you need me, CALL. Scar has my number. I'm here for ya'. You covered my a$$ on my first ride with the group..........:rulez:

thank you all for your well wishes! To me this goes to show that not only the group of riders that I was out with are awesome, but the board of Busa owners here on the .oRg are just as awesome!

I am so glad to be a member here and to have so many who care. Thank you all again!! I will post up tomorrow after I see the DR.

sorry to hear you went down but i'm glad it wasn't worse...hope you heal up quickly :beerchug:

Sorry to hear about your offroad excursion on the 'Busa. Glad to hear that you are ok and on the road to recovery. What those guys did for you is the reason why I like riding with all the So Cal hoons.

Man! Sorry to hear about your little off road adventure. But it sounds like you are on your way to a successful recovery already. That is the good part! :thumbsup:

The bad part is....you need to stay off that rear brake! Yep....bend over, cause it's smackey time :spank:

Derrick,
Prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery, shipmate. Holler if you need anything

Derrick, my brother. Trust me.

All of the rest of the details will fade, the wounds will heal, Imelda will shine, and the memory will take on less significance with the passing of the days...but the following is irrefutable; it is permanent, it is my promise, and it is etched in stone.

I know that if the situation was reversed,
I could count on you
and all of the others in the group
to tend to me
in the same fashion.

I would do the same for each of the members of the group (well, I guess even probably some random stranger in distress), and I wholeheartedly trust that (each of) you would do the same for me.

This is the way the SoCal Hoons roll.

Thanks to everyone else who played a part in redirecting the events of the day.

Special thanks to Derrick, Bubba, and Adam, for putting the whole b-day ride together and for working so hard to get so many people onboard.

I'm honored and I'm humbled.

Thank you. :love:

Last edited:
Back