Another pitbull story, happened yesterday...

I think the underriding current here is that power in the hands of morons is dangerous.

The dog has the power, but is not the moron. How many folks here own a firearm? I own several, all deadly. Is this a threat to anyone? IMHO no-- they are locked down in a safe enviroment. However, if the weapons were in a hands of a two bit hood, do you think someone's gonna be dead? I think it's a fair analogy.

<!--EDIT|thesnake
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092096044 -->

I see your point... but what would you rather see a moron walking around your neighborhood with.... a bb gun or a hk mp5? But I do agree... its just maddening that the "power" is in the hands of so many dirtbags just cuz its the cool thing to have for the time being. sj

gsteve, ya my only point is that the dirtbag you alluded to is what is dangerous. It is akin in your example that by knowing 1) dirtbags exist then 2) we outlaw all weapons to keep them out of the hands of the dirtbags (which by the way is unconstitutional). That is in effect what one is doing by stereotyping bull terriors and being in support of laws/ordinances/and fees levied against ALL owners. I don't think it's right.

over n' out.

I'll have to put my 2 cents in on this one since I have a pit.  Like thesnake, mine would more or less want to give the AEP man welcoming kisses than bite his leg off for charging us entirely to much money for the electric bill.:p  Any one who has been to my home loves Lexus because she is such a well behaved dog.  I think any dog can be dangerous depending on how they are raised.

Here are my two protectors, nothing like having one or two great animals who would risk their lives to save yours

<!--EDIT|Rongotti
Reason for Edit: "forgot pic lol"|1092100362 -->

DSC00290.JPG

while we're on dog heroes, here's a bull hero!

By Animal News Center (ANC), 1/10/2004

by Sherry Morse

A three-year-old pit bull named Marley is credited with saving a little girl in Alaska from a house fire in early December.

Marley, a black and white dog who looks like Pete from the Little Rascals television show, grabbed the back of six-year-old Autumn Marley's jacket to drag her out of the burning house.

Autumn alerted her mother who was cooking dinner that the entryway to the house was on fire. Julie Marley then forced open a seldom used back door so she and her two daughters could escape the fire.

As Ms. Marley left the house she turned to see Marley the dog pulling Autumn through the door to safety.

Jennifer Ingram, Marley's guardian, said that, "She's always been an awesome dog, but I didn't know she was capable of doing this." Ingram has raised Marley from a puppy.

Ms. Ingram was out shopping for Christmas presents when the fire broke out and arrived home to find Marley running loose in the midst of all the firefighters and bystanders.

She planned to take Marley to the vet to treat frostbite on her feet from being out in the snow.

Thanks to Autumn and Marley no one was injured in the fire, although the house was a total loss.

The Red Cross set up a place for the Marley family to stay, while Ms. Ingram and Marley the dog are staying with a friend.

© 2003 Animal News Center, Inc.

One of my all time favorites for the body slam:

Weela, Ken-L Ration's Dog Hero of the Year (1993)

Weela was also featured in the October, 1996 Outside magazine as an example of the kind of dog one would like to have in a life-threatening situation.

Gary Watkins, eleven years old, was absorbed in chasing lizards when Weela, the family Pit Bull, plowed into him with a body slam that sent him sprawling. Gary's mother, Lori, saw the whole incident and remembers being surprised at first, because Weela always played kindly with children. But her surprise quickly turned to horror when she saw a rattlesnake sink its fangs into Weela's face. Somehow Weela had sensed the snake's presence from across the yard and rushed to push Gary out of striking range.

Luckily for thirty people, twenty-nine dogs, thirteen horses and a cat, Weela recovered from the snake's venom. Luckily, because that's how many lives she saved a few years later. For her heroism, Weela was named Ken-L Ration's Dog Hero of the Year in 1993. The press release read in part:

In January 1993, heavy rains caused a dam to break miles upstream on the Tijuana River, normally a narrow, three-foot wide river. Weela's rescue efforts began at a ranch that belonged to a friend of her owners, Lori and Daniel Watkins. Weela and the Watkinses worked for six hours battling heavy rains, strong currents and floating debris to reach the ranch and rescue their friend's twelve dogs.

From that experience, the Watkinses recognized Weela's extraordinary ability to sense quicksand, dangerous drop-offs and mud bogs. "She was constantly willing to put herself in dangerous situations," says Lori Watkins. "She always took the lead except to circle back if someone needed help."

Periodically, over a month's time, sixty-five pound Weela crossed the flooded river to bring food to seventeen dogs and puppies and one cat, all stranded on an island. Each trip she pulled thirty to fifty pounds of dog food that had been loaded into a harnessed backpack. The animals were finally evacuated on Valentine's Day.

On another occasion, Weela led a rescue team to thirteen horses stranded on a large manure pile completely surrounded by floodwaters. The rescue team successfully brought the horses to safe ground.

Finally, during one of Weela's trips back from delivering food to stranded animals, she came upon a group of thirty people who were attempting to cross the floodwaters. Weela, by barking and running back and forth, refused to allow them to cross at that point where the waters ran deep and fast. She then led the group to a shallower crossing upstream, where they safely crossed to the other side.

Strong, gentle intelligent and brave, Weela,CGC,TT, is the ultimate American Pit Bull terrier, epitomizing the best that the breed has to offer. But her story also highlights an important yet often misunderstood fact about the breed. The Pit Bull is a dog that loves to please its owner and tries to become whatever kind of dog its owner desires. Weela has had two owners.

The first owner dumped her in an alley to die when she was less than four weeks old. Her present owner, Lori Watkins, found five starving Pit Bull puppies whimpering in an alley, took them home and raised them. later, the Watkins family placed four of the puppies in loving homes and kept the little female they named Weela. They believed Weela was special, and she proved them right. Most Pit Bull puppies grow up to become a reflection of both their owners' personality and the care and training they receive. One can only imagine what a different dog Weela would have become if her original owner had raised her, and she had done her best to please him.

Pit's usually don't make the local news for that sort of stuff. Too bad.

For the 12 years of devotion, loyalty, and unselfish love my little bull gave me, I will forever remember him and pay respect to his blood lines. If he was still around, I would get him some goggles and a side car for the busa. He would of LOVED it. Now that would be a sight!

<!--EDIT|thesnake
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092101339 -->

nice pooches ron!

My current choc lab although a sweatheart, is about the laziest, most mischievous, stubborn mule I ever owned. Makes my ole bull look like a walk in the park in terms of training and obiedence. No offense to coco of course. She's got her own redeeming qualities-- she can sleep for 10 hours, eat, relieve herself, chew on a few bones, and sleep for the remaining 10 hours.

Thanks man, They are the first 2 dobermans I have had but I will own nothing else the rest of my life, I really cant say enough, awesome dogs
smile.gif

Fair enough Snake, like I mentioned, statistics get bent all the time towards whatever purpose said researcher feels is right. But, Insurance companies utilize incredible amounts of hard data, real live data to determine risk factors. If nothing else they are hugely inhuman... meaning they do not give a rats ass about you or your choice of pet. But by god they want to know what kind of dog you have and there is a reason for that...
I am not saying you are wrong in liking the animal, that's fine. You can wrap it up in whatever sort of Macho Gun ho Devil Dog, Hoo-Rah package makes you comfortable... But in a house with a kid... I think of a pit "To use your analogy" as a Weapon with a round chambered, a defective safety, and is just waiting to be bumped the wrong way...

I like cats... Do you like Pussy Cats? Little Furry brown Pussies? Maybe?
laugh.gif
But Honest to god, I got put in the hospital for a solid week by a little fluffy white Cat that had come into my house through the dog door... Long story... A solid week in the hospital hooked up to IV's..... Aint that a bitch...

rev-- to each their own mate. FYI, I hate cats. They should be outlawed and banned in every community-- honest.

It all comes down to owner responsibility.  I've had my shepherd attacked twice now, and each time I wouldn't let him fight.  The last time we saw a Staffordshire running in the park with his owner off leash.  I immediately put Baron back on leash and told him to lay down.  Well here comes the damn dog full blast.  I was swinging my 100lb dog around in circles until the bastard grabs my dog by his back flank.  I was kicking the s*&% out of that dog until the owner comes around and I yell at him to get the dog off.  He half assed tries to get the dog off, so I sprayed him with pepper spray and give him one last kick.  the dog lets go and the owner runs away.  needless to say, I never got the owners name nor have I ever seen him again.  and my dog absolutely hates other dogs now.  Can't blame him either.  If I would've let him fight, who knows what would've happened
Here's my boy:

<!--EDIT|hierog
Reason for Edit: "add pic"|1092111074 -->

baron1_2.jpg

I grew up in an area where folks figured it was their right to let their dogs roam free. The same area that the neighbor girl was very badly scarred facially from a dog attack. Those folks didn't seem too concerned about other peoples safety. I guess if it aint you being hurt, who gives a damn? Anyways, I got sick of the local "pack" of dogs biting people and chasing everything that moved...so I went for a little "armed" walk one day, and when the usaul suspects came at me I shot the first 2. Of course after that their was the "you shot my dog" and the sobbing and crying....although those same owners had never seemed to concerned about the safety of their neighbors (and they'd been warned/ticketed). Now this was in a rural area where you could legally carry a firearm exposed...so when the cops came the dead dogs were hauled off and a round of tickets were dispensed to various dog owners. And we never had a prob with loose roaming dogs again. Now that my friends is "taking care of business"
wink.gif
Being a dog owner myself tho.....it IS sad that a dog has to pay for its owners stupidity...but in this world unfortunately thats the way it is
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092121311 -->

well you two highlight a very important topic with dogs in general and criticla to bull terriers. I believe the first rule of owning a "pit" is it NEVER roams. As lovable as they are they don't particularly like other dogs and can be tempermental if they think another dog is the head honcho on the turf. perhaps I never had problems cuz 1) always on a lease 2) the dog knew who the boss was 3) always supervised by an adult. "Guard" dogs are very protective of their owners (DOH)and will defend their space-- it's common sense.

Hierog, that is a beauty!! and nice pic too!

<!--EDIT|thesnake
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092150109 -->

well you two highlight a very important topic with dogs in general and criticla to bull terriers. I believe the first rule of owning a "pit" is it NEVER roams. As lovable as they are they don't particularly like other dogs and can be tempermental if they think another dog is the head honcho on the turf. perhaps I never had problems cuz 1) always on a lease 2) the dog knew who the boss was 3) always supervised by an adult. "Guard" dogs are very protective of their owners (DOH)and will defend their space-- it's common sense.

Hierog, that is a beauty!! and nice pic too!
The first rule with a Shepard is that they never roam either, ESPECIALLY dominant dogs like those who are candidates for Police work.

BTW, when my dog got into the scuffle with the rot, it wasn't on leash cuz I bought into a new fangled electonic fence. It worked great for keeping my dog in, but as I found out it doesn't do squat for keeping other dogs out. After that, I brought back the fence and went back to leash only outside.

Snake, I have to agree with you as well as all of the other responsible pit owners. I will never own another breed of dog again. I bought two (sisters) and would have taken the whole litter if the wifey would have let me. I didn't trust that the rest of the little bundles of joy would be going to good homes, so all I could save is two. See, we already had one dog and three cats and not once have we had any problems. I have done more research on pitbulls than anyone here cares to imagine. No other dog will take the abuse their thug owners bestow and still have love for humans. No other dog will work harder to make their master happy (perhaps part of their downfall when in the wrong hands). Revlis, You don't live that far from me (specially on a busa) and I encourage you to pay a visit to my house. I imagine your stereotype of pitbulls could be swayed!
smile.gif

Back