Another pitbull story, happened yesterday...

I have to butt in here. I had a shepherd about 5 years ago protect me from 2 pits. They had broken out of their fence and ran after me and my dog. The shepherd kept both of them off me until we could get far enough away that they decided they were too far from home (about 2 blocks). I was OK, my dog had several cuts and bites on his butt and abdomen. Needless to say, I called the cops and made a report, I carried a pistol with me after that, and that dog ate steak that night. I don't trust a pit as far as I can throw it. But I have will say that training and the owner's "lifestyle" contribute about 80% of a dog's mentality. The other 20% is pure instinct. And if a dog is inbred,, that just makes the fuse all that much shorter. And inbreeding is rampant among popular breeds.

We now have an Akita (the most gentle dog I have ever encountered, yet ferocious if protecting his property. He adores kids and has never challenged anyone-unless left alone inthe house on guard) a Miniature Pinscher (little dog that has no idea that it only weighs 9 pounds) and a Dane/Mastiff mix (a pup of 6 months, a real lover but learning from the akita about how to guard the house).

ALL dogs are cool. But training and breeding are major factors of their tempermant.

a lot of the attacks that are blamed on pittbulls are normally a mix of several different breads but ppl hear attack and say pitt bull. Second i know several ppl who bread pitt bulls or have owned them for years and never have had a problem with their dogs. They got their dog before they had children and raised the kids right next to a full grown pitt bull. Never thought twice and nothing happined. They will take their dogs out to the park and let them run off the leash with all the other dogs at the park. Still no event. Blame the deed not the the breed is what i say. I'v been attacked by the "family friendly" golden retreaver, but never by the more talked about pitt bulls or other biger stereo typical attack dogs. Nothing was ever done to this dog cause it is such a nice and friendly dog. if it was a pitt it would have been killed the next day.

Snake,  I have to agree with you as well as all of the other responsible pit owners.  I will never own another breed of dog again.  I bought two (sisters) and would have taken the whole litter if the wifey would have let me.  I didn't trust that the rest of the little bundles of joy would be going to good homes, so all I could save is two.  See, we already had one dog and three cats and not once have we had any problems. I have done more research on pitbulls than anyone here cares to imagine.  No other dog will take the abuse their thug owners bestow and still have love for humans.  No other dog will work harder to make their master happy (perhaps part of their downfall when in the wrong hands).  Revlis,  You don't live that far from me (specially on a busa) and I encourage you to pay a visit to my house.  I imagine your stereotype of pitbulls could be swayed!
smile.gif
Good to see you here man, Hows the bus? I know I am not really being fair here. I just do not trust em'... Not saying I won't take you up on the offer, but I promise nothing...
smile.gif

smile.gif

I have a feeling Rev is the non-commital type and is just afraid it's going to be love at first sight. Nothing can detract this man from his riding time !

I'm a dog lover, but I'm all in favor of putting a slug in an agressive dog if I'm on the receiving end.

My brother in law had a dog that was half pit bull and half german shepard. It had an evil disposition and would try to bite everybody and everything. It bit my child when it was a toddler. At the same time I owned an Irish Wolfhound. It was the most gentle dog I have ever owned or seen. It never EVER even dreamed of biting another dog or person. Totally non aggressive. My brother-in-law's dog would pick fights with my dog all the time and would bite my dog whenever it had the chance--even though it was much smaller than my 175 # giant. My dog never tried to retaliate. It would just give the other dog a look like "wtf did you bite me for?" After a while, my dog decided that enough was enough and when the little half pit tried to get in another bite, my dog reared up on its hind legs and pounced down toward the stupid little aggessive dog. Sam, my Wolfhound, could easily hold a basketball in his mouth ... he was that big. Sam was about to bite my brother-in-laws dog into bits, when my brother-in-law realized what was about to happen and saved his dogs life by drop kicking it about 10 feet away from my dog. His dog had some sore ribs, but it never knew how close it came from being decapitated. After that, his dog was a little less agressive.

you guys better watch out for these....genuine half-chihuahua, half-daschund mix.

My little sausages on for legs, I call em...

I think any dog is only gonna be as good or bad as its raised. Unfortunately for pits there stuck in a kinda owner induced self-perpetuating bad cycle..ie...alot of people that get pitbulls tend to do it because of their bad reputation....then go ahead and raise their pit that way...which adds to the bad rep..and on and on. From what I've heard pits were bred at one time to be fighting dogs...kinda like Sharpei's (<--spell check anyone?..lol)....so they can have issues with other dogs...but there again...I agree the owner prolly has alot of control over that. And any dog thats sweet but will still protect your family is A-ok by me
wink.gif

Pitbulls were indeed bred, born, and raised to fight.  However, before each and every fight, the owners took each others dog (they took the opponets dog) and bathed it. They did this to insure a clean fight, so that neither dog had any chemicals or the like on it to prevent there own dog from winning. Now, how is someone who has never even seen this challenger going to bathe this viscious savage.  At the same time, during a dogfight, each handler plus a referee were in the ring, inches from the bulls cheering them on.  How does that work, that the pits don't bite the people.  Easy, true pitbulls were not raised or bred to be human violent.  If they even showed the slightest bit of aggression they were usually euthanized.  I am not a part of any dog fighting.  I only read about the pitbull to further understand the breed.  Mr. Glock and I would love to have a short conversation with anyone who does dog fighting.  On a lighter note rev, the busa is well.  You will barely recognize her as she has gone through somewhat of a cosmetic overhaul.  Must of it is chrome, which I know you just love
smile.gif
but also put the second look seat skin on as well as a Yoshi RS3 4-2-1 with a power commander.  If it would just quit raining here long enough to ride, I could get off my couch with my "little savages" and enjoy it.  If I can't ride, I may as well hang out with the bulls!  
smile.gif

smile.gif

Very Cool, You gotta come out... Wait... I gotta come out, I haven't been out with Raider in a couple of months now... Too much heat, keeps me indoors... I get some things I am getting done, but I should be ready to go here in another month or so. Bike sounds cool, throw some pics up...

See you out there...

U R lucky the pit didn't get to the Shep's neck first. Size won't mater at that point. I used to have a Shep in a getto neighborhood back when & I got a SPIKED COLLAR for my Shep "just in case". Maybe U should too when U leave your dog alone for it's safety.

<!--EDIT|AZTECWARRIOR
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092233435 -->

U R lucky the pit didn't get to the Shep's neck first. Size won't mater at that point. I used to have a Shep in a getto neighborhood back when & I got a SPIKED COLLAR for my Shep "just in case". Maybe U should too when U leave your dog alone for it's safety.
I've now read that twice... "the Shep got lucky"...

Uh, no. Mine in particular was by far the bigger, stronger, smarter and more focused animal. He used his size and speed to get around on the flank, bowled the other dog over, grabbed on and then used his strength to keep the pit at the disadvantage.

Pits are good in rings. In the open, when the full spectrum of a GSD's advantages of brains, size and strength can be used the pit is at a vast disadvantage. Were I the pit in question, I'd make a solid mental note that a GSD with a brain isn't going to come straight at me.

I had time to examine the tactics used by Loki:

1) I'm bigger, stronger and faster.

2) We're in the open, and I can get around better than my target.

3) Stay away from the neck and head, go where the other dog can't grab on.

4) Once the bite lands, keep the other dog at a disadvantage and put the hurt on him.

Did he really think like that? I don't really know, but I know that he used his advantages in a way that nullified anything the pit could have done.

Furthermore, GSD's have the ruff around their neck for a reason, and mine's worked PRECISELY as intended - the pit got nothing but hair and a tore up rear leg. If I hadn't stepped in, I have no doubts whatsoever that Loki would have killed him.

Results vary from individual to individual, but a truly aggressive and courageous GSD is no slouch, especially in the open.

<!--EDIT|PacerX
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092255954 -->

Pits need to be socialized as pups. You need to do your homework in how the dogs was bred and the background of the parents. This breed is highly intelligent, with great power come great responsibility. These dogs have a tremendous drive and need to have responsible owner. I take mine to the park and to out door events. I have had no problems. Once I was met buy two officers that watch my dog all day waiting to tell me to take it home, at the end of the day they commended me on the obedience and they way my dog played with the kids. One of them later bought one. Here is a picture of one of my pups at a year, 75 pounds and a 23 inch head. I love this breed!

pacerx,

If your implying GSDs are smarter than pits, I'm not sure where you got that data from.

Fact is pits are pound for pound the strongest dog. However, why bother to talk about which dog is going to win or a better fighter? Who cares? If one does, aren't they in that "ego" demographic group, whom often find themselves in the headlines?

I love my ole pit not because it could beat up on xyz dog, but because he was smart, loving, and 199% faithful and loyal. In those categories I would be confident in matching him up with any dog (including my current lab).

-snake

WOW...so many bull dog story. Dont get your pet bull mixed up with the pit dog. The dogs that usually come up on the news killing people are what u call pet bull. Pet bull are dogs bred by greedy and ignorant people for show purpose,( big head, color, build, etc....) disregarding health and tempermant factors. This is where some of the worst man eater turns up. People with no knowledge of pit dogs usually buy from peddler like these becuz they see ads in newspaper and the internet and they go for cheap. People with no experience, of course dont know how to contain and handle their animals ( right chain setup and knowing how to break up confrontations ). Now let me turn to the pit dogs ( fighting or combat dogs ). These pit dogs are bred for battling purposes...not just any dog or people, only another pit dog. Game dog breeders breed for gameness, ability, strong mouth, and health. The gameness trait is 1000 times harder to breed for than breeding for a particular color or build. The breeder usually cull out all the dogs with people aggressive traits. They have no use for such animal in the pit ( ring or square ). Why would u want your dog to be busy snapping at u when he is suppose to cross the line to get to the other dog? Pit dogs are very tolerant to pain which makes them the best family dogs as long as u know how to keep him away from other dogs or animal. Imagine a child stepping on a german sheperd s tail or legs and have him snapping away. The pit dogs almost never get sick and will save u alot of vet bills too. Real dog breeders are very careful when selecting their brood stock, picking the healthiest animals to breed. In the end, I will leave u with this....U will never see a pit dog running the street and messing with other animals. Thank God becuz a 25-30 lb. female combat dog can bring down a horse, much less a 90 lb. german shepard.

Funny that we're talking about the viciousness of dogs.  I have a dog trainer/breeder friend who constantly talks dogs.  Besides him telling me this... I also read something somewhere that the most vicious dog is the large size Poodles.  From what I've read and what I've been told by an expert, those dogs make one hell of an attack dog.  He has one that he trains as an attack dog for the local authorities.  Go figure...
wow.gif

Brian

<!--EDIT|bacharles
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092596978 -->

Back