And this is why I drive a pickup (accident pics)

Glad all are ok. Truck doesn't look too bad but the frame damage might cause it to be totaled by the insurance company. Blue book your truck to see how much you its worth so you will be knowledgeable before the insurance comp offers you a check.

And your right, a new truck now is going to cost you WAY more than the ins check will be. Might be enough for a down payment.

I've got a guy with a frame straightener at a body shop that owes me a favor..he told me to bring it by and he'd take a look...

Dang, I was kidding about the Chevy (truck) being totaled.

If they total it for $3000 you can probably buy it back from then for $600 - $800.

I had an old truck do the same thing to a small car. An old fella cut across two lanes on wet surface and caught him in the middle of his door. They had to use the jaws of life to cut the top off his car but only put a small dent into the hood of my truck. Insurance still totalled it out at about $3000 and I bought it back for $800.

Just make sure they know you want it back if you do...otherwise as soon as they have it the paperwork usually goes to auction and very hard to get back then.

Glad you two were unharmed.
If someone has no insurance what do you do? Small claims court? Or does you insurance go after her? Either way it sucks to hear. Hope you are able to get truck fixed cheaply.

Glad you two were unharmed.
If someone has no insurance what do you do? Small claims court? Or does you insurance go after her? Either way it sucks to hear. Hope you are able to get truck fixed cheaply.

What should happen: My insurance pays to fix my truck minus deductable. Then they go after her for their expense. I could go after her in small claims court for my deductable, but if she doesn't have anything, that judgement isn't worth much.

At least it won't be your collision deductible. Uninsured motorist coverage dedt is usually less. Also, you are entitled to a rental while in the shop on an uninsured motorist claim even if you don't pay for it because you get treated as if you are a claimant. A receiver hitch can really save the damage on small hits, but a hit like this probably has more frame damage than if it wasn't there. The rule of thumb for the frame damage is it is repairable if no part is bent more than 90 degrees. Make sure to get a new hitch too! Bumper and bed will get removed and frame needs to be checked to be sure it is not diamond as well. Another first thing to check is for damage to rear of cab from bed contact. Good luck and glad you guys are OK.

At least it won't be your collision deductible. Uninsured motorist coverage dedt is usually less. Also, you are entitled to a rental while in the shop on an uninsured motorist claim even if you don't pay for it because you get treated as if you are a claimant. A receiver hitch can really save the damage on small hits, but a hit like this probably has more frame damage than if it wasn't there. The rule of thumb for the frame damage is it is repairable if no part is bent more than 90 degrees. Make sure to get a new hitch too! Bumper and bed will get removed and frame needs to be checked to be sure it is not diamond as well. Another first thing to check is for damage to rear of cab from bed contact. Good luck and glad you guys are OK.

I've got another vehicle so I won't need rental. Not bent near 90 degrees. bed-cab distance appears to not have been effected. Going to see the body-shop guy here in a few and I'll know more then. Definitely on new hitch/ball/receiver/lock.

that truck is built like a brick sh#t house. glad you, daughter, and the rig made it out unscathed. let me guess, texting was the reason you got whacked from behind?

Im not sure if the frame being bent rear of the rear tires is that big of a deal. Crappy thing is the truck is going to have an accident on its record so your resale value is toast.

Im not sure if the frame being bent rear of the rear tires is that big of a deal. Crappy thing is the truck is going to have an accident on its record so your resale value is toast.

11 years old with 230,000 miles on a gas engine, so... yeah. Probably not much lost there. :laugh:

Keith, I'm going to go off topic a little bit, but how has the mechanical reliability been over all those miles? Anything other than regular maintenance? I'm assuming it's the 5.3 engine?

My 07 Silverado never had any issues at all with the 6.0 engine, but everything after that was a different story. By about 80,000 miles the clutch broke a spring and self-destructed, the transmission output seal failed, and it developed bearing issues in the rear diff. Not to mention the electrical bugs. I loved the truck, but the quality was lacking. Hopefully yours has been better.

All and all I can't complain Daniel; It's the 5.3. It had 11K on it when I purchased it. Mechanically:

- bearing seals
- rear engine seal
- Transmission (190k)
- right now it needs new injectors (throws a code under load - like towing my motorcycle trailer to Barber at 80 MPH on a hill).
- fuel tank pump
- generator
- Wheel bearings/hub

I can't complain, I've run the crap out of it. Resale bottoms on these at about 5-6K; there is always a demand for a pickup. I'm not worried about the accident on it; won't really lower it any more than that bottom as long as it runs good.

Good news: I had a body shop dude look at it last night; he says he can straighten it without too much trouble. State Farm called today, started out talking about my $1K deductable, but if it's uninsured motorist it's $0. Just need the accident report and we will go from there. I think I'm going to be ok on this.

Sooner or later I'm going to get to the law of diminishing returns, and need to sell it and move on. I'd love to do that next year, but I'm bound and determined not to until I can write a check for the replacement.

Jeez, well I'm glad you and your daughter are OK...why is anyone allowed to operate any vehicle without insurance?! :banghead:

After everything gets settled ask your agent if your premium will increase because of this claim.

Update: State farm finally determined that it goes under my uninsured motorist clause, and they came out today to do the estimate - $3100....

On Tuesday, in front of my daughter's school, a car WAILED a parent coming out of the school parking lot. I directed traffic for 45 minutes while the police/fire/rescue/ambulance dealt with the victims. The FIRST thing out of the girl's mouth when she climed out of her car crying was, "I DON'T HAVE ANY INSURANCE!" :banghead:

The police officer said 40% of drivers in TN don't have insurance....

I was rear-ended not long ago too; I was in my Nissan Titan and (like you) had my towing/hitch mounted..left a soccer ball sized hole in his front bumper (2002 Saturn), but I the Titan no visible damage. Guy was unemployed and uninsured as well..gave me an expired insurance card and begged to depart the scene before the cops came

That sucks. Glad you guys are ok.

Thinking about it No one in my immediate family has been n an accident where the other person had insurance....

I was rear-ended not long ago too; I was in my Nissan Titan and (like you) had my towing/hitch mounted..left a soccer ball sized hole in his front bumper (2002 Saturn), but I the Titan no visible damage. Guy was unemployed and uninsured as well..gave me an expired insurance card and begged to depart the scene before the cops came

OH, HELL No....

Obama wants these people to buy health insurance when they can't even buy auto insurance..... :banghead:

Don't worry they've got the latest iPhone and all the accessories to go with it.... :rofl:

Back