Why is driving a Priviledge

are you kidding me?

nope. not kidding.

the 14th Amendment, while being a good step in the proper direction on several things, could have been worded better if it had meant to raise ALL the rights for ALL the people. instead it removed rights of the people which were laid out in the "Bill of Rights" (which technically was an afterthought by the Framers).

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and SUBJECT to the jurisdiction thereof..."

[Quoted from the Wikipedia] "Senator Jacob M. Howard of Michigan... stated the word "jurisdiction" meant the United States possessed a “full and complete jurisdictionâ€￾ over the person described in the amendment."

Marriage licenses. before the 14th Amendment you didn't need the government's permission to get married. these were put into place to specifically keep blacks and whites from getting married.

Gun licenses. (remember the "RIGHT to keep and bear arms?). these were initially used to keep some blacks from owning weapons (Bob is a nice guy so he can have a gun, but Ed is a bit angry so he can't)

so in effect the 14th Amendment did a lot of damage to our personal property rights.

Not the sole reason, but its things like that. I guess I don't understand what you would change?!? But given the current problems in the system I don't know how you would be solving any of them by deregulating driving.

There would be all of these 'other' problems if people were taught, and used, good moral judgment in their decision making processes. Poorly taught students make a pretty dumb population. The dumber and more entitled they think they are, the more risky it is to give them weapons of mass distraction.

I believe driving should be a right.
However, not everyone that is theoretically capable of driving is in control of themselves to the level of others on the road. There are paranoid schizophrenics, sociopaths, deviants and others who have disorders rendering them unable to safely operate a vehicle 100% of the time barring exigent circumstances.

A quick way to cut vehicle related litigation and encourage safer driving is to declare a no fault state. Many states are on record as such. Therefore, it behooves drivers to operate their vehicles prudently so as to avoid damage.

The issue is complicated and I tend to have a negative opinion of how big brother handles things in general. Special interests have a major influence in why things are illegal or rendered priviledges. Heck, special interests have a direct effect on how many people are in prisons for otherwise benign actions.

Thanks for the can of worms. Its officially open. :laugh:

I believe driving should be a right.
However, not everyone that is theoretically capable of driving is in control of themselves to the level of others on the road. There are paranoid schizophrenics, sociopaths, deviants and others who have disorders rendering them unable to safely operate a vehicle 100% of the time barring exigent circumstances.

A quick way to cut vehicle related litigation and encourage safer driving is to declare a no fault state. Many states are on record as such. Therefore, it behooves drivers to operate their vehicles prudently so as to avoid damage.

The issue is complicated and I tend to have a negative opinion of how big brother handles things in general. Special interests have a major influence in why things are illegal or rendered priviledges. Heck, special interests have a direct effect on how many people are in prisons for otherwise benign actions.

Thanks for the can of worms. Its officially open. :laugh:

So you would limit the ability of the mentally disabled to drive? Probably a good idea if they can not be held responsible for causing injury due to a diminished mental ability.

i'm middle of the road voted for clinton twice and voted for bush twice... all i know if there is universal health care going to the hospital will be like going to the DMV... now serving bla bla bla...

i'm middle of the road voted for clinton twice and voted for bush twice... all i know if there is universal health care going to the hospital will be like going to the DMV... now serving bla bla bla...

Anyone who actually wants 'Universal Health Care' should go to a VA hospital for anything major. I have been fighting with the VA since last November to get my back fixed. It's has gotten worse and they won't see me again until July. Socialized Medicine at it's best. :banghead:

Back