Am i loosing interest in riding?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Am I loosing interest in riding? Or do I just need to get out more?

I started my first motorcycling in 1999. Since then I've been in love with being on two wheels. 3rd bike is the Hayabusa - best bike I could ever find. I love it.

BUT! Last year I bought a convertable and have pretty much been splitting my time tween riding the bike or the drop top. Also, with every track day I attend, I come home with less and less interest to go fast or even RIDE on public roads at all. After you realise something, it's very hard to UNrealise it: Public roads are a gamble. Every month, someone on a bike dies on a public road. Peopl go down all the time because of some unknown pile of sand in a corner. Police. The track is so much more of a high than you can get on the streets, even if you are a good rider, even if you know the area. It's just different.

Many days it will be nice out and I open the garage, and stare: Miata or Busa? Usually, on nice days the Miata wins out becuse I can ride uncovered and absorb the much needed vitamin D from the sunshine [read: skin cancer], rather than put on a helmet, fasten down all leathers, insert ear plugs - shutting out all the elements I so enjoy.

I'm a firm believer that you should do what you like in life understanding that at some point you won't be able to do it anymore - like phases. Sometimes you grow in and out of them. Nothing wrong with that. That's just the life you choose to lead.

So, do any of you go through phases of just not riding or giving it up and coming back years later? I doubt I will REALLY loose the bug to ride, but with many track days planned this summer, I just don't seem as thrilled as I used to about hitting the open road on the Busa

cactusrd340.jpg

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152205540 -->

Good post.....now go ride!  j/k

I don't have track days under my belt.  In the past I've gone through periods of time in which I didn't have an interest in riding (couple of months at a time) because of some other activity that held my interest.  Nonetheless, I feel riding is in my blood regardless of the frequency in which I ride or the length of time I put in.

Dude, we need to form a support group or something cause I am having the same problem... It's to the point where I am allmost thinking about selling Lilah... How much sense does this make?

Here is part of the problem...

- Cars are simply more comfortable.
- I can carry groceries and a passenger without concern.
- I can drive wearing a t-shirt and no helmet and nobody cares.
- 2 words Air-Conditioning.
- 2 more Bose Audio
- Wife and I on weekend trips. Do you take the sports car or the Bike? Hmm, more and more it's the car hands down.
- Business meeting, Hmm in the car the suit doesn't wrinkle and I show up looking fresh.
- Six Air Bags, 5 star crash rating, and I can hang with any sport bike on a tight twisty Mtn road... makes you go Hmm...

Anyway, The bike has always been just a for fun, entertainment only. But lately even that role is partially filled by another.
Just like you, perfect sunny day and I have a choice, Mazda or Busa... Used to be no contest, now I think about the hassles involved and sitting out in the sun and I jsut grab the car keys and go. Kinda creepy.

Also after being on the track, the road just seems like a pit of vipers and aggravation.

Phases, I dunno bro. I've been on two wheels my whol elife just about one way or another. Grew up on the back seat, then dirt bikes, then street. It's just been part of my life and I've been wrestling with it. I think the best thing to do is just get out there and ride. When you have half an hour or so just throw on the gear and head out, be casual and just enjoy the freedom of being on two wheels. I think part of my problem is that I have started to forget WHY we ride. It's not because of the RUSH, or the "Bada$$ Macho BS" so many folks seem to think is so important. We started riding because it was FUN plain and simple.

Now then you and I have fun cars, so if we "Just want to have fun" we have choices. Maybe that is the trouble, we've gotten over the "GO BALLS OUT FOR THE RUSH" and once that is out of the way the compromises inherant with two wheels just do not seem worth it. I dunno, one thing I know for sure, is that sitting in traffic on a bike sucks, sitting in traffic in the car, means I have more time to listen to the tunes, or talk with the wife.

I think that is a big part of it, I have my partner, and I want to talk to her and enjoy the time we have together when we are traveling somewhere. I don't want to be sweating the weather, or worrying about what the jerk off in front of me is doing...

I dunno... but I am NOT going to sell in a hurry. I am going to be thinking and deciding what my next move is...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152206765 -->

Good post.....now go ride! j/k

I don't have track days under my belt. In the past I've gone through periods of time in which I didn't have an interest in riding (couple of months at a time) because of some other activity that held my interest. Nonetheless, I feel riding is in my blood regardless of the frequency in which I ride or the length of time I put in.
That's kinda what I am hoping is going on. Since arriving in the NW I have been riding less and less...

And...

I hate to admit it, but all the buddies I've lost, folks on the board injured, lives changed... I dunno Kind of makes me really question riding in the streets.

Is it worth it... ya know?

Seriously, then, why not buy a Gixxer 600/750/1000 (or something similar), and use it strictly for the track? Tow it with the Miata, and you'll be set.

Good post.....now go ride!  j/k

I don't have track days under my belt.  In the past I've gone through periods of time in which I didn't have an interest in riding (couple of months at a time) because of some other activity that held my interest.  Nonetheless, I feel riding is in my blood regardless of the frequency in which I ride or the length of time I put in.
That's kinda what I am hoping is going on.  Since arriving in the NW I have been riding less and less...

And...

I hate to admit it, but all the buddies I've lost, folks on the board injured, lives changed...  I dunno Kind of makes me really question riding in the streets.  

Is it worth it...  ya know?
I understand. Factors relative to each rider come into play...children, spouse, friends/family lost while riding due to negligence, your reason for riding in the first place, etc.

Thank The Lord I haven't lost anyone close to me due to a motorcycle accident so I can only speculate as to how I would react and how it would affect me and my riding time.

If I lived closer to a track I gather I'd invest in more track time.

My whole mentality (in reference to the dangers and the loss of life) is that it happens everyday and it's not partial to any one activity. When God calls me home, regardless of when, where, and what I'm doing, it's time to go. So I'm going to enjoy the time He's given me on this Earth.

Cagers cut me off while I'm in my cage just like when I'm on 2 wheels in the wind. I simply have to be more careful and acknowledge that regardless of how careful I am, something unexpected can still happen. There was an article posted about a rider getting struck by lightening. Now if THAT'S not unexpected I don't know what is.

Some riders lose the desire to ride.....

Wow guys ... your post scares me. I guess I understand your feelings, sounds like you're losing the passion for riding on two-wheels. Fortunately I still have it. Yes the weather can be a hassle, the cagers can be a hassle, even the road conditions can be a hassle ... but ... I am lucky because everytime I find a way to escape it all and find the perfect opportunity to become one with the bike on that perfect winding road and it is worth all of those hassles. I recently bought a powerful sports car, but for me it doesn't even begin to compare to the extra demensions of riding on two-wheels.
I am definitely not knocking your decisions, but your post gave me an opportunity to express my happiness/passion for riding the motorcycle
smile.gif
I hope you rekindle the love for riding, but if you do decide to sell, wow Lilah is a sweet bike!!

I been meaning to post this a couple months, but wanted to see how it fleshed out. I agree with everyone on both sides. Also coming into play, my closest riding buddy has stopped riding and is selling his bike. Also, another newer trackday friend is a new sport biker and has the fire in his eye that I remember having and it seems to have gone away - I recall when I'd go find a road, look for a cop and other traffic, and then just hammer the crap out of it... but now that doesn't cross my mind much when riding - ALSO ALSO, I think I have been on al the decent roads around here about 100 times so I think "Where will I ride today? Hmmmm maybe the winterset loop? naw, been on that too much..." when I've been on ALL of them a lot. I could ride further, but that takes a lot more time and planning. That's what I mean saying maybe I should ride more.

The joy of discovering new places to ride is always fun, but the new places are running dry now. I need to venture further out. As painful as it was, I really enjoyed riding all the way to Arizona, seeing new empty roads and open highway across the plains....

that's it! I've talked myself into more road tripping. I can ALWAYS tear it up on the track, but I need more touring I bet. Sometimes I ride to the tracks, and that is fun too. The Busa is fast and turns great, but I need to tour it also... pack the bag..... hit the highway! I've got no track day this weekend, no pockebiking.... no plans.... I might do exactly that. Spontaneous touring ride far away, overnight and back.

I haven't lost it afterall. I just lost that directionless direction temporarily. I enjoy the freedom of not having to go somewhere specifically. Thanks for the therapy, guys! I'm on the road to recovery
smile.gif

Great so it's just me then who's really trying to decide what the hell I'm doin...
laugh.gif

I go back an forth on the issue all the time.

I bought my dream car a couple of months ago. Pretty much a weekends only car. It's an 04 Z06.

The time I was spending riding the "weekends only" Busa has been devoted to the Vette (Gawd, I love that car!). Can't ride the bike or drive the Vette during the week 'cause I need my truck for work, so the toys only see playtime on the weekends. I'm only one person. Can only use one vehicle at a time, so there's a choice to be made. BTW, where is that parallel universe when you need it!
wink.gif

Last weekend I decided that I had neglected the Busa long enough and took her out for a long morning ride. The saying that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" applies here. It was great. The old feeling returned and my love for riding is renewed.

I look at it this way: The Busa is paid for. It's not a burden financially. I take good care of it, so it will be there when the time is right. Same can be said for the Vette. Bottom line is that for me it just adds to the spice of life. I am fortunate to own two of my all time favorite vehicles. That I favor one over the other at different times doesn't bother me. I know that the cycle will eventually reverse.

I can only speak from my own experience, but if you enjoy them both and they're not pinching you financially, keep them both.

i had the same problem w/ my jeep wrangler a few years ago. one of them had to go and i am glad i got rid of the jeep. too many toys can be overwhelming and i like to devote all of it to my "bus".
tounge.gif

I go back an forth on the issue all the time.

I bought my dream car a couple of months ago. Pretty much a weekends only car. It's an 04 Z06.

The time I was spending riding the "weekends only" Busa has been devoted to the Vette (Gawd, I love that car!). Can't ride the bike or drive the Vette during the week 'cause I need my truck for work, so the toys only see playtime on the weekends. I'm only one person. Can only use one vehicle at a time, so there's a choice to be made. BTW, where is that parallel universe when you need it!
wink.gif

Last weekend I decided that I had neglected the Busa long enough and took her out for a long morning ride. The saying that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" applies here. It was great. The old feeling returned and my love for riding is renewed.

I look at it this way: The Busa is paid for. It's not a burden financially. I take good care of it, so it will be there when the time is right. Same can be said for the Vette. Bottom line is that for me it just adds to the spice of life. I am fortunate to own two of my all time favorite vehicles. That I favor one over the other at different times doesn't bother me. I know that the cycle will eventually reverse.

I can only speak from my own experience, but if you enjoy them both and they're not pinching you financially, keep them both.
Real Good Point... Battery Tender, some Stabil, and I can just continue to use the bike the way I want, when I want....

"absence makes the heart grow..." zactly. This didn't happen when I went riding the other night. I've been sick for a week and didn't ride [missed a track day too!] and I thought it was time I got back on it. ALL traffic was annoying. Mybe it was just still recovering from a cold, but I was more annoyed than overjoyed like has happened in the past. There's no law staing I HAVE TO RIDE ALL THE FREAKIN TIME. Anyway, I do plan on hitting the OPEN road this weekend - all weekend. That ought to clear my head a bunch.

great discussion, great perspectives
smile.gif

I think I'll make a point of heading out into the sticks for a long ride this weekend maybe... See how I feel then...

mna your starting to sound like me. I let rumor around my little town that i was thinking of selling the busa. well i am just kinda bored of it. so the rumor mill flied and i was getting calls like man you cant sell you wanted that bike for 5 years. true i have but somedays it just seems like a hassle to get it out and have everyone stare at you when you drive my them. so i came to realize maybe i need not care what people stare at at just spend more time off it. thats not going to happen but i guess i am just whining. bikes are my life i have met so many people cause of it. ok i am done rambling

If I could afford 2-3 trackdays a month, I probably wouldn't ride on the street at all. But I don't have that kind of money. So heading out to the canyons provides me a cheap alternative to trackdays. I enjoy the lean, the motogp lean
biggrin.gif
. The attempt of dragg'in a knee
tounge.gif
I've never been the touring type or the bike night/social type. I just wana lean!

As far as traffic, it must be that your from Iowa
poke.gif

I want to be on my bike in traffic, 'cause I can split and keep on moving. I HATE being in traffic in my car, it sucks!!

Back