am i leaning right

sportcustoms71

Registered
yesterday i went on a little ride and hit up the twisties....i know the road like the back of my hand, so i'm hitting it pretty good. so i'm coming up on a really tight right hand curve, i hang half my butt off, lean forward "kiss the mirror", keep a steady throttle in the curve. all of a sudden midway through the turn i here this grinding sound coming from the bike and i'm like what the heck is making that sound. coming out of the turn i hit the throttle and continue on my ride. i get home, inspect my bike and to find that i grinded the crap out of my right feeler that is on the foot peg. so there it is fellahs....does this sound like i am leaning right or what? i looked at the tires to check out the "chicken strips" and i have like a quarter inch left on both the front and rear.

Sounds like you are. I hate dragging the feelers because that usually means you are pretty close to as far over as you can lean. Are you trying to get your knee down or just working on lean angle?

Sounds like you are. I hate dragging the feelers because that usually means you are pretty close to as far over as you can lean. Are you trying to get your knee down or just working on lean angle?

considering i wasn't wearing leathers with pucks, just wearing my jacket and the rest of my gear...i've really been trying to work on everything over all, not trying to drag a knee by no means...i kept my knee more inward considering i'm wearing jeans....just made me curious if i'm doing it right...

considering i wasn't wearing leathers with pucks, just wearing my jacket and the rest of my gear...i've really been trying to work on everything over all, not trying to drag a knee by no means...i kept my knee more inward considering i'm wearing jeans....just made me curious if i'm doing it right...

You gonna ride like that you should wear leathers and preferably on the track.
Not preaching just throwing you some advice for thought. :whistle:

The most important thing to remember, shed any speed before you enter the turn, then transition to the throttle and roll through the turn. Smooth is what you are looking for. As you get better with picking your line your speed will increase through the turn.

I took those "feelers" off, because all they are good for is making noise. Rearsets will get you back and higher and give you more ground clearance on those footpegs. Remeber that there are other places that can drag, including the fairing, so watch yourself.

If you were hanging off and dragging, that prolly means you were getting pretty close to maxed out ... However, there are a ton of other things that can take you there if you aren't doing things just right. As was mentioned, if you burn any speed (for any reason) in a turn, you are messing with ride/suspension geometry and can drag parts easier than if you stay steady and on the throttle.

Long story short, get a second bike (like an SV-650), safety wire it, drain the coolant and replace with water, join NESBA (or some other track association), and get your kicks in a safer environment ... The TRACK!

Back