Lean angle ?

johnstein

Donating Member
Registered
i have found a couple areas on the island where i can get the busa leaned over pretty good, new pilot powers are just incredible they stick and inspire confidence!

so my left peg feeler is ground down about 3/4 of the way ,

how much further can i go kinda freaks me out a bit when the pavement starts pushin the peg /my foot up

if i remove the feelers on the pegs what will be next to hit/scrape the pavement ?

i have hmf highmounts , lookin to purchase rearsets , with the aftermerket rearsets will i be able to lean any further ?

thanks in advance!

john stein

The peg feelers are there for a reason, lean no further.

2 things you can do.
1. Upgrade your suspension which will raise your ground clearance.
2. Get your body further off the bike. Getting your upper body down and inside will decrease the amount of lean angle you need to turn the same.

How much do you weigh??
Are you using stock suspension and stock suspension settings??

Straight line? Is this you? Scraping stuff? Do I need to find a new riding partner?  
poke.gif

laugh.gif
Dayum.

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156039321 -->

Straight line? Is this you? Scraping stuff? Do I need to find a new riding partner?  
poke.gif

laugh.gif
Dayum.
yeah man ! scrapin away , goin back to the bash to ride next year! scared the crap out of me when it first happened , then i realised what it was so i had to do it a few dozen more times ! straight line stein can turn !
tounge.gif

The peg feelers are there for a reason, lean no further.

2 things you can do.  
1. Upgrade your suspension which will raise your ground clearance.
2. Get your body further off the bike.  Getting your upper body down and inside will decrease the amount of lean angle you need to turn the same.

How much do you weigh??
Are you using stock suspension and stock suspension settings??
i weigh in about 230 suited up , did the jinkster attacks suspention mod !

i have 500 miles on the pilot powers now and its like a different bike it actualy wants to turn , so nows the time to start gettin off the seat ?

I think lower fairings are next. I'm far from it so I'm just guessing. I do try to get off the seat some and lean forward into the inside mirror. I have surprised myself with what I thought was a good lean angle but never scraped anything. I still have some 1/8 " strips too....
down.gif

I'm not worthy....

i found some tight 180* turns , that were good for practice low traffic i spent about three hours goin round n round now i just have to practice the right handed turns then some s turns , also hit mill road with the lines the other day was realy nice , the pilot powers are a big difference , dont think i will ever run the battle ax again

What scrapes next depends;

In the majority of the weight is on the front, ie going into a corner, fairings scrape next.

If the majority of the weight is on the rear, ie coming out of a corner, stock exhaust will scrape next.

You might want to respring the front forks for your weight.  Not saying your weight's a lot or anything  
poke.gif

Or get the body over more
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156040945 -->

Its been said, GET OFF THE SEAT!!!!!!! You can get the suspension set up as well with some stiffer springs, raise the rear 1", it really depends how far you want to go.

I removed the feelers many years ago and I have actually hit the lower cowl on a nice twisty road.

Its been said, GET OFF THE SEAT!!!!!!! You can get the suspension set up as well with some stiffer springs, raise the rear 1", it really depends how far you want to go.

I removed the feelers many years ago and I have actually hit the lower cowl on a nice twisty road.
I think, what he's really saying is...

Get the puck on the ground!

Okay, it sounds better looking through trijicon sights...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

dayum john! mannn call me up i need to learn to lean! i have chicken breast sized strips on my tires!!!!!

I think lower fairings are next. I'm far from it so I'm just guessing. I do try to get off the seat some and lean forward into the inside mirror. I have surprised myself with what I thought was a good lean angle but never scraped anything. I still have some 1/8 " strips too....
down.gif

I'm not worthy....
Yup, fairings are next!

A couple months ago, I went on my first Trackday. By the end of the day, I had scraped the both peg feelers, the kickstand...AND the lower fairing on the right side!

fairing_scrape.jpg

So, for my next Trackday, I need to work on my form...getting my butt of the seat more!
tounge.gif

With my old busa:

ryabusa7.jpg

knee pucks:
IMG_0264.jpg

gotta hang off the bike, tuck in foot closer to rear set and more on the balls of the feet, get your centerline towards the side of lean. The whole point of hanging off is to approach the turn with more speed and less lean angle. Trailbraking also improves lean in as well.

tuck in foot closer to rear set and more on the balls of the feet, get your centerline towards the side of lean. The whole point of hanging off is to approach the turn with more speed and less lean angle[/QUOTE]
+1....and get yourself to a track day/school. You won't believe what you don't know but can learn in a few hours.

tuck in foot closer to rear set and more on the balls of the feet, get your centerline towards the side of lean. The whole point of hanging off is to approach the turn with more speed and less lean angle
+1....and get yourself to a track day/school. You won't believe what you don't know but can learn in a few hours.[/QUOTE]
exactly!! Those pics were taken at a trackday at California Speedway AMA track. I don't recommend trying that in the canyons (although I still do it anyways).

But the track is the safest place where if you do have error, you have run-off, airfence, on-site paramedics, cornerworkers, etc...

I think the message everyone is trying to convey here is, "get off, or you will get off". Am I right?
ices_rofl.gif

Way to go John, maybe someday you'll be able to keep up with me.
jump9.gif

Back