Almost Splat!!!

I had to reteach myself braking now that i finally worked out all the quirks on my bike, On my way home today i was out in the middle of nowhere and went through some random fast stop situations, needless to say i'm impressed with her stoppers now:thumbsup:

So the light was green this guy was waiting to turn left across the intersection? You had the green and he cut you off cause he wasn't paying attention? jerk! to say the least. Good job anticipating the emergency brake. Did you use both brakes or only the front brake?

No the driver was going strait, no turning involved. Just not paying attention and running strait through the intersection. If I wouldn't have pulled it off I probably would have ended up going through his rear passenger side window.

Generally speaking I don't use my rear brake at all. I'm pretty sure if I would have tried to use it in this situation I would have dumped the bike because of the rear tire was off the ground and it would have been locked up when it touched back down.

I don't practice panic stops frequently but I am quite accustomed to getting on the brakes very hard at track days, I'll usually start to lock up the front at least once during a track day.

I hate to bring this up cause Suzuki refuses to put ABS on the Busa, but I LOVE my ABS on the King. Practice emergency stops? Childs play. You grab all the rear and front brake you can (the old death grip 30lb pull) and the computer brings that bike to a stop right now!:bowdown: Saved me twice already. Also, for normal non-emergency stopping, try using your back brake too. I always find wtih that monster 200 size tire, if I put some back brake into a normal stop it really stops quick without the computer.

I'm so glad you didn't hit that knucklehead!:thumbsup: Car vs bike is not the way to go. Great skills on keeping an eye out at intersections! It's a must.

and out of the corner of my eye see a 2000ish white Chevy Lumina approaching the intersection a little fast. I keep my eye on him and start to brake.

Here is the next 3 seconds of my life...

HOLY XXXX this guy is going to run the light. Now I'm really on the brakes...HARD. :beerchug:

This is the part that I believe saved your life.

You were AWARE that a car was a potential disaster and by observing that he was not slowing down your mind kicked into evasive maneuver time. Well Done !!!!

You anticipated the threat !!!! which allowed you to take action.

Getting on the brakes was only the second part of the equation, the first and more significant part was that you were ALERT enough to be aware of the threat.

No doubt in my mind you would have been killed or at the leaset seriously hurt if you were not paying attetion.

Green does not mean go... it means look for cagers that can kill us without even knowing it.

Thanks fastblackblur for sharing :thumbsup:

1. I'm glad I learned how to really get on the brakes, it quite possibly saved my life today. Everybody should learn how to dynamite the brakes.

3. I think I did my first rolling stoppee...

Tell em like it is cause it's seldom raised to point . Anyone care to guess at the percentage of riders , both sport bikes and other that can't truely manhandle the bike on the brakes ?

Touchy subject yet, a reality any old way it's looked at.

Back