Almost got nailed

Check this out...I am in the far left lane of a 3 lane road going through downtown Raleigh. There is a SUV to my right in the middle lane. I can see the driver in his mirror, so I assume he can see me. Well, all of a sudden, he decides to make a left turn into a ONE WAY friggin street. This is a 45 MPH street so we were probably going around 50MPH anyway. I tried to downshift and brake but ended up stalling the bike. I never locked up the tire so the bike was still in my control. I saw my whole life flash before my eyes. Anyway, when he finally saw me in his mirror and about a foot away from hitting him, he had that deer in the headlights look! Thankfully, no one was in the one way street and it was a pretty wide road so he was able to turn away. I sat for 10 minutes just to regain my composure. He was from Virginia and following a map. He thought that was his turn. Never mind the big freaking one way sign or the traffic that is in the left lane. He apologized but the passenger just looks at me and says nice bike. Well, thats my story. Take care guys and gals. Ride safe please!

Later,
Manny

What's wrong with these people? Do they honestly not see us, or don't they care?

take down thier license plate...call it in...let the the local police know of thier irresponsibility...ps it is illegal to not be on hands free or head piece here in pa...if not you must pull over to answer or talk

Yea-cell phone use is illegal here in New York too. Doesn't seem to stop anyone. I see TONS of people on theirs while driving. I guess YAKETY-YAK is more important than traffic safety.

I really hate breaking the law, I watch every rule, every posted speed limit, 1) because I cant afford a bunch of tickets, and 2) because I am on Rescue/EMS, see way too many wrecks because of speed, etc, but I find when I am on the bike, in the City anyway I HAVE to speed quite often. When I say HAVE to, its because I refuse to sit in someones blind spot, so in Edmonton where there can be 5 lanes 1 way, I am continually beging defensive. I hate that crap, bastards that speed and weave in and out non-stop force me to drive above the posted speed (not by much, and always in short bursts) just to stay out of blind spots. What ele can a guy do? Iceman if you see someone on a bike 10-15kmh (6-10 mph to you) over the limit, to stay with traffic and seen, do you yank them over? I really hate breaking the posted limit, but dying is worse.

I really hate breaking the law, I watch every rule, every posted speed limit, 1) because I cant afford a bunch of tickets, and 2) because I am on Rescue/EMS, see way too many wrecks because of speed, etc, but I find when I am on the bike, in the City anyway I HAVE to speed quite often. When I say HAVE to, its because I refuse to sit in someones blind spot, so in Edmonton where there can be 5 lanes 1 way, I am continually beging defensive. I hate that crap, bastards that speed and weave in and out non-stop force me to drive above the posted speed (not by much, and always in short bursts) just to stay out of blind spots. What ele can a guy do? Iceman if you see someone on a bike 10-15kmh (6-10 mph to you) over the limit, to stay with traffic and seen, do you yank them over? I really hate breaking the posted limit, but dying is worse.
I agree...
I live in Las Vegas and traffic can get pretty dense in peak hours. I need to travel between 10-12 miles faster than the flow of traffic just to stay visible and avoid being merged into.

i wish you coulda chased her down to the next stop, yanked her out of her suv and slapped the sh*t out of her for almost killing you
mad.gif
+ 1 trillion
guns.gif

Really glad you are O.K., Paul. I have been in similar situations and as stated, always assume the cager doesn't see me.
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|tpbio
Reason for Edit: "Spelling, what else?"|1147351969 -->

Seems like some kind of self-policing system for people out on the road would make it a not only safer, but much more polite place to drive around... too bad there's no good way for anything like that to ever work.

Back