Almost Splat!!!

fastblackblur

Registered
So I'm out on the new 600 today, just going out to meet some friends for dinner... Jumped on the one way up to 10th ave S, which s like our main street out in this little town. I see a couple on a small cruiser of some sort to my right stopped at the light on central. I throw them a wave because I wave to everybody on bikes and out of the corner of my eye see a 2000ish white Chevy Lumina approaching the intersection a little fast. I keep my eye on him and start to brake.

Here is the next 3 seconds of my life...

HOLY XXXX this guy is going to run the light. Now I'm really on the brakes...HARD. I can feel the rear end of the bike come off the ground. The bike is slowing but at this point I honestly don't know if I'm going to slow enough to not T-bone this jerk. The Lumina passes by me and I kid you not my front wheel is about 6 inches away from the passenger side of this car. I let go of the front brake and the rear wheel touches back down and give me a good shake as it rights itself. I yell my respects at the driver of the Lumina, render the appropriate hand gestures and continue on to my destination. I strongly considered chasing the person down to explain my point of view with my knuckles.

So wow, new bike almost totaled at 16 miles a few thoughts come to mind.

1. I'm glad I learned how to really get on the brakes, it quite possibly saved my life today. Everybody should learn how to dynamite the brakes.

2. These new Brembo's are awesome, definitely lived up to the hype today.

3. I think I did my first rolling stoppee...

Keep your head on a swivel out there folks you never know what kind of idiot you're going to run into. :beerchug:

Glad youre looking out especially well. I would have chased the guy down and got his tag #.
Posted via Mobile Device

unless you have witnesses you cant prove they did anything...but cagers can just write down our plates in texas and they will prosicute

Close call.Glad you used your skills and you are alright.Yeah gotta keep your eyes pealed and head on swivel mode.

Wow! That's a close call. Good skills!

That's why I don't like local riding - too dangerous.

It's a shame but you really have to watch the intersections. ( text messages are important ) I hate one that I can't see down a ways. Glad you made it. The gremlins are after you bud :laugh:

Glad your alright, things can get very scary at times on a bike, got to have two pairs of eyes sometimes. One thing I hate as well is when a car goes so fast up to a side turning and brakes a the last second so you don't know it they are going to pull out in front of you.

So I'm out on the new 600 today, just going out to meet some friends for dinner... Jumped on the one way up to 10th ave S, which s like our main street out in this little town. I see a couple on a small cruiser of some sort to my right stopped at the light on central. I throw them a wave because I wave to everybody on bikes and out of the corner of my eye see a 2000ish white Chevy Lumina approaching the intersection a little fast. I keep my eye on him and start to brake.

HOLY XXXX this guy is going to run the light. Now I'm really on the brakes...HARD. I can feel the rear end of the bike come off the ground. The bike is slowing but at this point I honestly don't know if I'm going to slow enough to not T-bone this jerk. The Lumina passes by me and I kid you not my front wheel is about 6 inches away from the passenger side of this car. I let go of the front brake and the rear wheel touches back down and give me a good shake as it rights itself. I yell my respects at the driver of the Lumina, render the appropriate hand gestures and continue on to my destination. I strongly considered chasing the person down to explain my point of view with my knuckles.

1. I'm glad I learned how to really get on the brakes, it quite possibly saved my life today. Everybody should learn how to dynamite the brakes.

Keep your head on a swivel out there folks you never know what kind of idiot you're going to run into. :beerchug:

Well...the Brembos just paid for themselves!! Glad to see you were paying attention and everything turned out ok!!

You said there was a couple on a cruiser stopped at this light. Where you approaching the intersection and anticipating the green? Turned green but then you saw someone trying to beat the yellow and got the red but still kept going. How fast were you approaching the intersection?

You said there was a couple on a cruiser stopped at this light. Where you approaching the intersection and anticipating the green? Turned green but then you saw someone trying to beat the yellow and got the red but still kept going. How fast were you approaching the intersection?

The couple on the cruiser were on the same street eastbound while the car was westbound. I saw the light change from red to green about 2 blocks before I got there, no way the driver was trying to beat the light, just not paying attention. I was probably going about 35mph.

The couple on the cruiser were on the same street eastbound while the car was westbound. I saw the light change from red to green about 2 blocks before I got there, no way the driver was trying to beat the light, just not paying attention. I was probably going about 35mph.

So the light was green this guy was waiting to turn left across the intersection? You had the green and he cut you off cause he wasn't paying attention? jerk! to say the least. Good job anticipating the emergency brake. Did you use both brakes or only the front brake?

Back