Airbox removal

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
Alright all, as some of you know I now have the Brock Hindle exhaust. I'm ordering the PAIR blockoff kit today, so in the meantime I'd like to get the airbox mod out of the way. How do I remove this thing? I've gotten as far as removing the top bolt which forms a triangle with the 2 tank allen screws.

If you are wondering why I didn't order the kit when I ordered the exhaust, its because I was gonna take the "marble" route. After seeing how frustrating it would have been had I left the PAIR in place, I decided to remove it. Those gold rods would have been a hassle to work around.

Thanks.

PS ... This is for NJ ...  
beerchug.gif
Thanks for lookin' out.

Are you asking how to do the small airbox mod, or how to remove the airbox
rock.gif

There are two screws that clamp the boots on to the throttle bodies, one on either side. Each screw operates a clamp which tightens/loosens a pair of the boots. It's a real small phillips head, loosen them, unplug your wires and lines and pull it up. There is no need to remove the screws entirely, just slack them off enough to pull the box off. You can be a little rough with it, it ain't fragile....
BTW, what are you doing thinking about this at 4 in the morning? You got it bad..........

<!--EDIT|Mr Brown
Reason for Edit: "Add details....."|1136295355 -->

There are two screws that clamp the boots on to the throttle bodies, one on either side. Each screw operates a clamp which tightens/loosens a pair of the boots. It's a real small phillips head, loosen them, unplug your wires and lines and pull it up. There is no need to remove the screws entirely, just slack them off enough to pull the box off. You can be a little rough with it, it ain't fragile....
BTW, what are you doing thinking about this at 4 in the morning? You got it bad..........
LOL! I work nights. I decided to hop on it as soon as I got home from work.

I managed to get it off. I wasn't sure as to how hard I had to pull up on it. Now I see it was a bit more than what I was giving it.

Now for my next problem. The hose running from the PAIR to just under the airbox. What the F%&K did Suzuki use to hold that thing there!? Its a small grey hose with a red stripe. I'm pulling on it and the sucker won't budge. I've even tried to pry it off with a flathead, and nothing.

Yesterday I had problems getting the headers out. This morning I took them out in about 10 minutes. Maybe I just need some rest.

You are removing the pair anyway, right? Cut the Mutha F'er........ Seriously, I don't remember what I used, hell I prolly just pulled on it til it broke. The guts of my bike are not pretty......

You are removing the pair anyway, right? Cut the Mutha F'er........ Seriously, I don't remember what I used, hell I prolly just pulled on it til it broke. The guts of my bike are not pretty......
Kept going with a flathead and it worked.

NOW ... how do I remove that gold metal piece on the bottom of the airbox?

CAPTAIN ... CACHE ... WHERE ARE THE TUTORIALS ON THESE TYPES OF THINGS!?
cussing.gif

biggrin.gif

Nevermind. I got it out. All that remains now is the actual cutting of the box, the PAIR blockoffs (on order), the installation of the modded box, and the grand finale of the exhaust.

Bedtime

BTW ... Thanks MB

<!--EDIT|Spigga
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136297985 -->

Good night....

Hope it all looks better after you get some sleep...

Dont forget to plug the vacuum port on the # 4 throttle body and the large hose port on the airbox that went to the pair.NJ.:)

lol. taking the box off was easy for me.... my problem is i bought a BMC filter and cant get the screws off the top of the box to get to it. i managed 2 strip 3 of them completely and 1 is off
mad.gif

The small hose w/ the red stripe goes to the #4 throttle body. I would just cut it at the PAIR valve side. At the throttle body, it's barbed nipple [looks like a h@rd-on]. Take a razor or x-acto and lightly score through it long ways till it's weak enough it splits.

I just took mine off this afternoon in about 3 minutes.

Hope this helps.

The fun part is putting the air box back on. I had loads of fun trying to get the rubber box boot back on and pushed down on all the throttle bodies.
biggrin.gif

Back