Airbox mod

daaah... sorry to dissapoint you guys, but I drive 90% of the time below 6k... no way i'll drive ma' Busa on high rpm most of the time. Lotza traffic here... EXPENSIVE fuel here !!! Can you imagine the price of 1 litter of gas here? It's about 1 dollar. When i fuel my bike, usually i spend 15 to 20 dollars... ugh!

Anyway, if you don't care about low end that's ok to do the mod!! :) many guys don't care about mirrors or turnlights. I care about ALL that stuff (unlucky me!!)
;)

So, really there's no point about discussing about our personal point of view. Read the post indicated above, read Johncal oppinion, read the other guys oppinion. Then, form your OWN oppinion and go (or don't) to the mod.

I might as well get back into it too. Artnshel's got the right idea. Thr "Restriction" at low R.P.M. increases air velocity which helps to pach more air/fuel mixture in. this is like an internal ram air system. I might even buy into the fact that you MIGHT get a little better performance at high RPM by doing the mod, but I would doubt you would notice it unless you dyno'd and re-mapped. As I said before, it probably just feels faster since you notice a bigger increase in acceleration due to the LACK of it at low RPM.

I saw a comment about how the EFI will compensate for the air box mod. NOT TRUE. There are no mass airflow sensors like on an automobile to measure this. If that WERE true, it would not be necessary to re-map when installing a new exhaust, etc.

Besides, it's just not worth loosing the bottom end performance since that = drivability, which is what most people want on the street.

As far as beating the dead horse goes... Nothing wrong with horseburgers.

I have a full Micron, Small Box mod, PCII, TRE and 17T/43T rear sprocket.  The box mod sure helped heating problems in summer traffic.  Fan never even comes on, don't feel I lost anything!  I purchased a used Air box on eBay for $50 and modified it just as I did most of my mods including plastic.  Could change back anytime if I so desired. Don't want to get in a debate, but with the map provided for the full micron exhaust I've noticed no hiccup!  That stock box will sit in a box for a long time. :tounge:

<!--EDIT|busagod
Reason for Edit: None given...|1066357444 -->

I think some people arent reading very well? the ECU will compensate once RE-MAPPED<-----keywords

AIRBOX mod=free flowing intake
HEADER mod=free flowing exhaust

FREE FLOWING EXHAUST+FREE FLOWING INTAKE=more fuel/air in and out of comustion chamber

MORE FUEL/AIR IN AND OUT OF COMBUSTION CHAMBER=increased horsepower

INCREASED HORSEPOWER=reduced fuel economy

if your looking for fuel economy the only mods I would suggest is reducing weight. and perhaps an 18 tooth up front...

my busa averaged 42 MPG stock on 89 oct and syn., now, maybe 30?

What we need is someone with a stock busa who wants to do one... They should go get dynoed before and after. Then the debate would be solved! Also, then they should get a PCIIIr and remap and dyno.

That would settle this once and for all!

-Rip

Back