After turbo build staring/cranking issues

markwt

Registered
I have a gen 1 motor, I installed a spacer plate and APE adjustable cam sprockets, only thing different internal from OEM. When degreeing the cams I set to TDC, and set the end marks on the cams to OEM position, then adjusted from there. I am at 105 intake / 106 exhaust. I checked everything 4 times to be sure. I torqued all bolts to OEM spec. I completed build the other day and went to start, it cranked around 2 or 3 revs slowly then died out like it was a battery issue. Battery was slightly low so I put a charger on it and left on when cranking to see if it made a difference, very slight improvement if any. Then thought maybe the battery just lost the deep cells to crank, I replaced battery and no difference. So I took apart the gear cases on the side of the motor to make sure all gears from the starter all the way down to the starter clutch to make sure nothing was binding and all lined up, which they were good so ruled that out. I pulled all 4 plugs and cranked around without stopping this time but it sounds like something is holding it back, was not cranking near fast or free enough. When I torqued down the cam journals it is pretty light foot pounds, is it possible my torque wrench was slightly off and cam journal casings are holding came too tight? Or that top timing chain guide, made that too tight? The top guide just bolts down to metal so I don't you can make that too tight.

I also checked the torque on the OEM timing change tensioner to be safe. I had turned the motor by hand at one point to make sure nothing was hanging up or metal banging, valves..etc.., and it was fine. It seemed somewhat tight but I didn't have much of a reference to go off how easily it should turn. Before I tore down and took motor to TDC I was pretty close already and did not have to move mark much.

Before I tore the bike down, I started the bike and fired right up. I am about to tear back into it to find the problem but thought I would see if anyone came across this before or things to check.

Any thoughts?

Remove the battery cables and crank the engine by hand. If it seems overly tight (you shouldn't have to strain with a 2 ft breaker bar)then you may have an internal issue. If not then your starter may be weak. Did you charge the new battery fully? Or did you buy the precharged series? What was you're torque setting for the cam journal? It should only be about 7lb.

I tried replacing battery and also tried starter without being on other gears. Starter worked fine before teardown. I am pretty sure that I have my cams degreed incorrectly which is causing this issue. It is tougher than should be to hand turn

The thing about that is unless you're waaay off it shouldn't cause the engine to drag. Even then if that were the case the motor would still turn. Slow turn over is usually caused by battery, starter, loose connection, improperly grounded or compression. Yes it could be other things but you would know. Timing being off is another drag. Was timing set on compression stroke or exhaust stroke?

I checked all items minus the compression issue. I never though to check that when I degreed them, stupid. I just set it to TDC then degreed, never check which stroke it was on. They could very well be correct just on the wrong stroke, that would def cause my issue, correct

Yeah, besides my cams being out of degree, I also didn't have one of the cam bearings lined up on clip right and cracked bearing. Thanks for checking up

Back