After build starting issues..problems cranking

markwt

Registered
I have a gen 1 motor, I installed a spacer plate and APE adjustable cam sprockets, only thing different internal from OEM. When degreeing the cams I set to TDC, and set the end marks on the cams to OEM position, then adjusted from there. I am at 105 intake / 106 exhaust. I checked everything 4 times to be sure. I torqued all bolts to OEM spec. I completed build the other day and went to start, it cranked around 2 or 3 revs slowely then died out like it was a battery issue. Battery was slightly low so I put a charger on it and left on when cranking to see if it made a difference, very slight improvement if any. Then thought maybe the battery just lost the deep cells to crank, I replaced battery and no difference. I pulled 3 of the 4 plugs, to get the 4th one out I would have to pull my charge tube. Thinking if I take the compression of 3 cylinders it should free up enough to crank around easier. It did help some but not as much as I had expected. I also checked the torque on the OEM timing change tensioner to be safe. I had turned the motor by hand at one point to make sure nothing was hanging up or metal banging, valves..etc..

Before I tore the bike down, I started the bike and fired right up. I am about to tear back into it to find the problem but thought I would see if anyone came across this before or things to check.

Have you tried turning by hand to see just how much load it takes or if there are tight spots
in good order with plugs out you should be able to feel the rotor/stator interaction

It turns by hand, its not super easy to turn but it is not super hard either. It does have one spot that you can feel takes a little more to get past, I assume that it what you are asking about.

So I took apart the gear cases on the side of the motor to make sure all gears from the starter all the way down to the starter clutch to make sure nothing was binding and all lined up, which they were so ruled that out. I pulled all 4 plugs and cranked around without stopping but you can hear something is holding it back, was not cranking near fast or free enough. When I torqued down the cam journals it is pretty light foot pounds, is it possible my torque wrench was slightly off and cam journal casings are holding came too tight? Or that top timing chain guide, made that too tight? The top guide just bolts down to metal so I don't you can make that too tight.
Any thoughts?

Your cam journals are specifically bored for your cam size to allow oil to get through, meaning that it would be hard but not impossible to overtighten them. They have the "feet" that keep it from bearing down on the cams themselves

Back