Opinions on Gen1 with Gen2 Crank + a little work

Bubba Zanetti

Registered
Guys,

I've been reading loads of post on here about motor work and with my '06 Gen1 coming up on 30,000 miles soon I thought I might get some work done on it over the winter.

2 reasons really, firstly to make sure it'll last another 30,000 :laugh: and while we are at it get a bit more shove without loosing every day usefulness.

In my (non) expert opinion I think a good state of tune could be achieved with the Gen2 crank and retaining the 81mm bore which gives you 1340?? Also some valve and head work, maybe cams?

I read that the 1397 bore and stoke job changes the usefulness and needs a 2 battery setup etc.

Would the money be better spend upgrading to a Gen2, even tho I prefer the looks of the Gen1

Thanks

I dont think the second battery is needed unless you go to a higher compression motor. IMO, if your going to go to all the work, do the 84mm w/ Gen2 crank and just keep lower compression. I just did mine as a 1397 @13.5:1 compression, but I am using a car battery to start the bike. The onboard battery is only for running operations.

as long as they not setup super tight yes.. I street ride and race mine

just know there is a difference between a 1397 and a built 1397. a piston kit and block don't make it a built 1397..

So are the 1397's useable on the street?

I guess you are saying just don't just bolt some stuff on and expect everything to be awesome, get a good engine builder who knows what he is at because everything has to work together.

Back