Affirmative Action

That's stereotyping...How about another thread?
rock.gif

Main Entry: [2]stereotype
Function: noun
Etymology: French stéréotype, from stéré- stere- + type
Date: 1817
1 : a plate cast from a printing surface
2 : something conforming to a fixed or general pattern; especially : a standardized mental picture that is held in common by members of a group and that represents an oversimplified opinion, prejudiced attitude, or uncritical judgment
- ste·reo·typ·i·cal /"ster-E-&-'ti-pi-k&l/ also ste.reo.typ.ic adjective
- ste·reo·typ·i·cal·ly /-pi-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Very touchy subject for all sides.

I am an Electrician, and have seen way-underqualified individuals put into positions, that cost themselves as well as the Company undue losses, because they wanted to meet a Quota.

I have seen people burn alive from Electricution, wondering why in the heck were they working on Gear they are not Qualified for, the answer was stupid in my opinion..
AA dictates we have to hire so many miorities per the majority, regardless of qualifications.
Being what our field is, they have to work on live gear to repair electrical problems for customers, that's a catch-22 for them.

Doesn't, matter that they were of any other Desent then Caucasian, they were "Under-Qualified", resulting in loss of Life & or damage to electrical equipment of the customer, resulting in loss of business or life, IS BAD.

Anyone can say they have been an electrician, and provide references, but the company is limited to the questions it may or may not ask about the individuals, possibly leading to a problem or not.

AA can be a good thing to help minorities who want to help themselves, but a free ride should be removed from within the policies of the AA, it can be baised as bad if not worse then the other way around.

A good friend of mine was the Manager of HUD Housing Authority, about 7 yrs ago, he walked away.
Some of the stories he told me had me in dissmay.
4 generations of the same family living in the same Housing Developement, instead of trying to better themselves and get the education the system was trying to give them, they were just using the system to get what they wanted.

Not! Saying the system is a total Loss, but saying it really needs a makeover.

Limitations of benifits would be a good start, providing the individual was actually trying to better themselves and be a working part of society, then the benifits would be there for them, when they stop trying they simply get the benifits removed.

I have had the Fortune of meeting great people who were part of the AA, and were really trying to better themselves and their families situation, and I am glad they had it to get a leg up.

Revamp, not totally kill it.

Peace,
Busafied

A good friend of mine was the Manager of HUD Housing Authority, about 7 yrs ago, he walked away.
4 generations of the same family living in the same Housing Developement, instead of trying to better themselves and get the education the system was trying to give them, they were just using the system to get what they wanted[/QUOTE]

The system is flawed for sure Busafied, and people do abuse the system as well. But it is not all that simple and black and white. It is no small task to expect someone to overcome the effects of ceturies of cultural devastation...not having clear knowledge of your ancestry, having few things to be proud of, few role models, few father figures, gang pressures, inadequate healthcare, hunger, bankrupt educational systems,  etc. It is one thing to want to better oneself, but it takes uncommon strength to overcome the devastating cycle that you refer to. Fortunately, more and more do it everyday!

The one message I would like to get acroos is that few people really live like that because they like it. Many just don't see the way out, or know any other way. it is easy to say, "Do Better & Work Harder!" But few of us have been litterally affraid to go to school for fear of being shot by a sniper.

Just food for thought.

I AM GLAD I HIT MY 500TH POST ON A TOPIC LIKE THIS. NO POST WHORING FOR THIS GUY

Thinker

Thinker

Your right most people don't want to live that way, it's just all they know, the way they were brought up and have no idea or no courage to change it. So they live their life using the system cause it's all they know.

There are some with strong hearts and alot of pride that refuse to follow the footsteps of thier parents and they work thier a$$ off to be a better person and live a better life. They walk past fear and make it work for them no matter what the obstacles are.

4 generations of the same family living in the same Housing Developement, instead of trying to better themselves and get the education the system was trying to give them, they were just using the system to get what they wanted

The system is flawed for sure Busafied, and people do abuse the system as well. But it is not all that simple and black and white. It is no small task to expect someone to overcome the effects of ceturies of cultural devastation...not having clear knowledge of your ancestry, having few things to be proud of, few role models, few father figures, gang pressures, inadequate healthcare, hunger, bankrupt educational systems,  etc. It is one thing to want to better oneself, but it takes uncommon strength to overcome the devastating cycle that you refer to. Fortunately, more and more do it everyday!

The one message I would like to get acroos is that few people really live like that because they like it. Many just don't see the way out, or know any other way. it is easy to say, "Do Better & Work Harder!" But few of us have been litterally affraid to go to school for fear of being shot by a sniper.

Just food for thought.

I AM GLAD I HIT MY 500TH POST ON A TOPIC LIKE THIS. NO POST WHORING FOR THIS GUY

Thinker[/QUOTE]
Ok, my point has been seen..

Few not all, that's what I wrote.
Clearly the statement that was quoted from the body of the Text I had originally posted, and is being pulled aside to make light.

My point is the System only works according to how, you choose to use or manipulate it.

Opression by "MY Forefathers" & others can be used to make any statement true as long as you wish to keep yourself down and opressed.

I truly believe, "You are Limited by YOUR own mind", as seen below in my signature.

I believe, any man, of ANY race, can make anything of himself, if he/she applies themself.
Futhermore, to keep in one's mind the way my Ancestors were Opressed in Germany in the Nazi era, does not make case for me to allow myself and family to be "kept down".

People allow themselves to be manipulated, is the problem.
People who make better for themselves, is the solution.

Regardless of Race, Creed, or Religion.

My family taught me I am only limited by my own mind and goals I put upon myself..
Maybe more families need to teach that instead of, I am not caucasian, therefore I am destyned to fail.

Our children have already been shown we can possibly live together in Harmony, but one can ruin it for the masses.

In all my ramblings, I can only hope you find that the above information is written and expressed as an opinion.

Like a$$holes, we all have them.

You don't hear me complaining about needing the Gov. to pay my bills because I was in an accident or wanting someone to come fix my home, because I don't have the money.
Those are my Responsibilities, I will do what is necessary to take care of my Family & self.
With my God by myside, I can accomplish any task set before me.
I ain't on here preaching, just giving another point of view.

I could hide behind all kinds of fears, but why?
What does this accomplish ultimately?
Nothing will ever change the past, it has been done & gone.
People who choose to be kept down by the past, have allowed themselves to be manipulated.

I leave you with the knowledge of how I make it day to day, what works for my family & I.

GodSpeed, and hopefully your dreams come true, not your nightmares.

Peace,
Busafied

I do not believe that anything you have said is in conflict with what I have said or vice versa. Everything you have said is true and has merit. In my last post, I just cautioned against over simplifying what it takes for people to overcome situations. Once again, many, many are doing it everyday...even without families to teach them that they have no limitations despite what society (their society) shows them everyday.

If people over simplify the situation, they become less patient and tolerant. My message is one of understanding and tolerance. But I absolutely agree with every thing you have said Busafied.

Thinker

Same here Thinker, I agree things have been WAY over simplified.
But unfortunately, the masses will not agree with us.

Peace,
Busafied

Hate to sidetrack everyone, but then there is the ADA? I think disabled people are forgotten about completely; this race thing isn’t anything like having a disability, especially if it’s one that’s not sticking in your face looking right at you. No one wants to go there.

I dont claim to understand all about the program but what I do believe is in hiring the most qualified person for the job . I worked in an office that was all men and we got pressure form the city to hire a woman . They did not like the idea because they had just been sued in a sexual harrasment case that there lawer told them would be cheaper to pay a settlement than to fight . But thats another problem in this country . Anyway no interviews etc just hired a woman to get rid of the pressure . I also believe there is alot of pressure on all kids there are white gangs white supremisists asian and hispanic gangs . There is no real gang type things around here different pressures but all to deal with . And dont even get me started on the rip off they call the welfare system that my ex that had my baby is on 6 years without a job sent her to school to be a CNA whatever they wnt stil no job why bother they will pay for it all . What sort of example does this set for my child I could go on for hours

I grew up in Chicago where you couldn't be a cop unless you were Irish...
Are you talking about in the city, or suburbs? As I recall there is quite a mixed bunch of police in Chicago. Yes, alot of Irish, but a good amount of diversity. (carefully choosing words here - the only people I don't like are the ones that don't like me - that can be ANY race!)

A.A. is only as strong or as wrong as the location. A.A. in the Ozarks (where I moved to from Chicago) could mean that just because Bubba and his sister have the same child, doesn't mean he can't work at the feed store.

Didn't try to do a 180 on you guys here, but I can go to any tangent on a whim... sorry.

Thinker, back to the cops in Chi-Town... What's your response to my first paragraph?

Gent's this did turn out to be a great topic...I see a lot of different perspectives and all are interesting...Gives me a little something to think about also...

CacheAre you talking about in the city, or suburbs? As I recall there is quite a mixed bunch of police in Chicago. Yes, alot of Irish, but a good amount of diversity. (carefully choosing words here - the only people I don't like are the ones that don't like me - that can be ANY race&#33
wink.gif

[/QUOTE]
I am talking about the City of Chicago. I am also talking 25 years ago, when I was growing up. This is well known about Chicago, as well as other cities. Think about the term "Paddy Wagon". Anyway, in the thread you refer to Cache, I went on to say:In situations like that, AA was necessary to prevent a complete subversion of the testing process. But now, I think that abuse of the testing process is less likely, so AA should go away, or as many have stated...be revamped. [/QUOTE] I don't think it is like that anymore. Chicago's Chief may actually be African American. Testing is monitored very closely, and nepatism (spelling) is on the decline.

Thinker

You know there are some very good points made on this thread. I don't agree with our Government on how they will give a job to an individual strickly based on their race or sex. I believe by doing that you weaken the work force, You do not see professional sports filing quotes the best individual gets the dam job. Any more everyone in this country has the same opportunity it is what you make of your self. I have friends of every race we all have very good careers. And we all did it our selves by working hard not by having someone give us a hand out. All of these subtitles is what is wrong with the U.S. we are not american indian, or african american, or mexican american, WE ARE ALL AMERICANS!!!!!! And the sooner these idiots get that the better off this country will be. Anymore we do not thrive to be the best (as a country) everyone is to dam worried about AA, womans rights, being fair to the sexually challenged, and the handicapped that they don't demand the best from people. Now don't get me wrong I am not a racist or woman hatter, or a homophobic, what I am saying is be the best at what ever you do and no one can deny you period. And as far as the public assistance programs, As you know I live in the communist republic of California, where I go to work for my family everyday and the state takes 30 % of my regular pay and 38 %of my overtime so some third and fourth generation welfare reciepiant can use thier kids as a meal ticket. Make it mandatory that these people recieve training set limits make them enter the work force and earn a living like the rest of us AMERICANS !!

Back