Class action against suzuki - need help!!!!!

MotoleanBusa

Registered
My name is Jason Lowman and I am the owner of a 2005 Hayabusa.  I have posted here recently about the seemingly growing problem of 2nd Gear Slipping on the 2005 model.  For those who do not know what I am talking about, here is some quick insight.

There has been numerous post on various message boards regarding an issue with the 2005 Hayabusa and 2nd gear slippage.  To best describe this very serious and dangerous problem, it is as if you are accelerating in 2nd gear and the transmission slips and catches…almost like you are quickly pulling the clutch lever in for a milli-second while stayting on the gas.  It tends to happen at higher RPM’s, but mine would do it as low as 3000 RPM.  The problem typically begins to occur between 5000 and 6000 miles on the odometer.

The purpose of this post is to generate response from Hayabusa owners who have experienced this problem with their motorcycles.  Based upon previous post and threads, it seems that there may be a decent number of owners who have had to deal with this issue.  My motorcycle, like the overwhelming majority of people who this has happened to have had to cover what should be warranted work/parts out of their own pocket.

I do not believe that Suzuki is taking this issue seriously and are putting a great number of peoples lives in danger.  Moreover, as more and more 2005 Hayabusa owners reach higher miles on their motorcycles, there is even more of a risk that something fatal could occur.  It is for this reason that I plan on using my resources to compel Suzuki to acknowledge this problem, immediately begin to cover it under warranty along with re-imbursing owners for money that they personally had to shell out to fix their motorcycle.  Essentially issuing a major recall.

Some of you reading this may be saying to yourself… “Good Luck…that guy doesn’t have a chance.† However, as many of you all know, in order to get things done in this great country of ours, it helps to know the right people.  Moreover, people can kick and scream all they want, but if the necessary steps are not taken and followed through with, positive results will never happen.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.  In an effort to make Suzuki take responsibility for their product, I am asking that individuals who have expereienced this problem simply reply to this post with 3 pieces of information:

(1) Year of Motorcycle
(2) Mileage of when this problem began happening
(3) Were you injuried as a result of this problem

It would be great if Moderators reading this Thread would make this Topic a “Sticky†to generate continued response, better inform, and help lessen the risk of its members.  I will respond personally to each reply via Private Message when further information is needed to file the neccesary paperwork.  

Thanks again and stay out of 2nd gear!!!!

Jason Lowman

<!--EDIT|MotoleanBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140677776 -->

This is the first I've heard of the issue.
rock.gif

News to me ...
rock.gif
the only thing I have heard from about a dozen different 05 owners is the shift linkage came loose.

I'm supposing you have already addressed this matter through your dealer, American Suzuki, Chamber of commerce. Dept of Consumer affairs ... ? There are at least 5 owners locally of 2005 busa's and I'll check with them if they are experiencing the symptoms. - Kent

I have an 06 with 800 miles on it so far.The only place is seems to have a bit of an issue in when i go from 5th to 6th gear.Otherwise its okay

i remember this was a HUGE issue on 00-02 R6's. i mean HUGE! tons of accidents cause of this and everything. class action was brought up and tried, but nothen became of it even though yamaha does know this problem does exist.

The issue seems to be a problem with the "dog bones" in the transmission. Probably a bad batch of metal. At least on my motorcycle, all other potential causes have been investigated and found to not be the culprit.

FWIW:
2005 Le
2880 miles as of 02/21/06
No indications of this problem as of today.

What does Suzuki say about this?

It's to subjective... Really easy for me to say you just don't know how to shift....

Simple...

Suzuki will say the same thing and may have a point...

laugh.gif

Besides, I love my Busa and I love Suzuki for creating it... I would no more file an action against them than I would my Mom... Besides my busa is much faster than my Mom...
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Thanks for everyones intial replies....at least we can continue to get the word out there so if this problem happens to you, you can rest assured that it is actively being pursued.

In terms of Suzuki's initial response to the problem, Suzuki simply discounts the problem as abuse.  Well, after hearing discussing this issue with fellow Hayabusa owners who this has happened to also, the overwhelming majority say that the did not abuse the bike and ride it like they have riden other bikes they have owned.  

Speaking for myself, my bike is pretty much a show bike.  It has 6600 miles on it now but I do not race it at the track and honestly haven't abused it in any way.

I love my Hayabusa and I am not bashing this motorcycle at all.  It is just frustrating seeing and personally experiencing Suzuki's utter disregard for it's customers safety.

<!--EDIT|MotoleanBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140673911 -->

What exactly are you going to get out of a class-action lawsuit? Your lawyers will get most of the award, if there is any award to speak of. I could understand if this is a widespread problem, but there doesn't seem to be that many reports of it...

Do you have any proof of this actually causing accidents or causing bodily harm in any way?

btw, I've got an 05LE with 10K miles, and have had no problems with the tranny.

In todays dishonest and money driven corporate world, big business will continue to view its bottom line over its customer safety unless people take a stand.  I love Suzuki and think that they build a damn fine motorcycle.  I just think that they may have goofed up during there manufacturing on some of this particular years model.

I give a boat load of credit to Yamaha for quickly stepping up and accepting responsibilty for the 2006 R6 RPM issue.  (For those of you who don't know, Yamaha initially said the bike had a 17,500 RPM redline, however after further testing they found that it was actually about 16,000.  They sent letters to all new owners (me being one of those new owners) offering to buy the bike from the owner if they were not happy.

Though these 2 issues are different because one deals with the owners safety, I feel it is a good example of a company putting its customers first in this competitve industry.

<!--EDIT|MotoleanBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140677934 -->

Thanks for the warning ...and scaring the krap outa some folks I'm sure. ha ha

I like to let the board sort it self out for the most part.

No sticky for now...but I'll keep an' eye on this.

RSD.

post_6_94354_eye.gif

My bike does have a 12 inch extension, however every other Hayabusa owner who I have made personal contact with who has suffered the same problem has a stock swing arm.

The purpose of this Class Action is not a $$$$$ one. It is to compel Suzuki to take responsibilty for their product.

This is obviously not going to happen to every 2005 Busa out there. However the point of a recall is to catch a serious problem in its infancy and take action to prevent serious injury from occuring.

The purpose of this Class Action is not a $$$$$ one.[/QUOTE]

Who's paying your legal staff? Or are YOU the legal staff?

Back