Adjusting lowering links

wreckwriter

Donating Member
Registered
My Soupy's lowering links will be here today. I plan on dropping the rear by one or two inches (did the front yesterday).

The instructions for the links say (several times) not to adjust the links off the bike. The instructions for the nearly identical links from Brocks say the opposite.

Seems to be it would be much easier to do it before installing the links. I can use a mic to ensure lengths match exactly.

Am I missing something here?

The thing is you want to keep them the same length. Soupy has them equal length when he ships so if you put them on and adjust the same amount the stay equal. It’s easier to keep things straight on the bike. Mark one flat on each link and count the turns. It’s easy.

The thing is you want to keep them the same length. Soupy has them equal length when he ships so if you put them on and adjust the same amount the stay equal. It’s easier to keep things straight on the bike. Mark one flat on each link and count the turns. It’s easy.
Right, I understand that. Yes, they come set at equal lengths BUT there's no set length. They aren't necessarily set at stock height, or one inch lower or any specific length. That's direct from Soupy's and makes very little sense to me.

do you have the stock bones? if so put them on. then remove one side and install the soupys. make sure its snug. remove the other side and install the new one. Now you are set to stock height and can make adjustments from there.

do you have the stock bones? if so put them on. then remove one side and install the soupys. make sure its snug. remove the other side and install the new one. Now you are set to stock height and can make adjustments from there.
Yes, I do. I also have the Brocks 3 holers.

While your method will obviously work I really don't see the difference from using a micrometer to set the links to the height I want before putting them on. Doing it that way would eliminate the "on the stand, off the stand" testing to get the height where I want it. Again, am I missing something?

I guess the better question would be then; can anyone with adjustable lowering links measure their links, and say how much their bike is lowered?
If not, do you know the ride height of the first hole in the solid Brocks links that you have?
So that you could measure it's length, vs the adjustables, to get you close.

I guess the better question would be then; can anyone with adjustable lowering links measure their links, and say how much their bike is lowered?
If not, do you know the ride height of the first hole in the solid Brocks links that you have?
So that you could measure it's length, vs the adjustables, to get you close.
Yes if you know a couple of lengths.

Stock dogbones

20230127_103448.jpg

Brocks at stock height setting (hole 1)

20230127_103507.jpg

Brocks at 2" lowered position (hole 2)

20230127_103531.jpg

I'de just take the 2" drop measurement of the Brocks(if 2" is where you want to start), and adjust the Soupy's hole center to center the same amount, off the bike.
That should put you at or very close to the 2" drop.
Then just go by half or full turnbuckle turns once it's on the bike, for higher or lower, whichever way you want to go with it.

I'de just take the 2" drop measurement of the Brocks(if 2" is where you want to start), and adjust the Soupy's hole center to center the same amount, off the bike.
That should put you at or very close to the 2" drop.
Then just go by half or full turnbuckle turns once it's on the bike, for higher or lower, whichever way you want to go with it.
Exactly what I did.

Back